Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

I think it's going to vary state by state. There is a partnership agreement for a federal allocation program that was announced in November (I suspect most pharmacies didn't expect to be dealing with actual vaccines a month later...). But actual administration is almost certainly going to depend on the state (and possibly local) priorities. Everything's supposed to be no-cost to the recipient, but the only federal funding for administration I'm aware of is for CVS and Walgreens to go into long term care facilities. My assumption is most pharmacies are ordering the Moderna vaccine as it's packed in smaller units, and more easily stored. Hospitals, larger health care facilities, and public health departments are going to be more able to manage the Pfizer storage conditions.

In Florida the state's priorities include general public over 65. From the sound of things, I'm guessing that at the county and municipal level, they're doing that with a combination of their own public health people (large scale events) and the pharmacy network. If another state hasn't moved to the general public, or has decided to begin by using their own resources (someone's paying pharmacists), then it may take longer for pharmacies to come on line.

Depending on how many states adopt the CDC's recommendations from yesterday, everything could change again in 24-48 hours. For instance, the larger military facilities here in the DC area just put out their guidance for over 75 a couple of days ago. The whole system will almost certainly move to over 65 and pre-existing conditions (which hasn't even been updated on the CDC web page!) as soon as possible, and throw all their planning out the door!

And that's not even accounting for employment-based priorities, where they're being followed. One of the local school districts (not my wife's, of course) has made arrangements with one of if not the largest health care system in Northern Virginia to vaccinate teachers and staff.

Edited by markeb
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

I think it's going to vary state by state. There is a partnership agreement for a federal allocation program that was announced in November (I suspect most pharmacies didn't expect to be dealing with actual vaccines a month later...). But actual administration is almost certainly going to depend on the state (and possibly local) priorities. Everything's supposed to be no-cost to the recipient, but the only federal funding for administration I'm aware of is for CVS and Walgreens to go into long term care facilities. My assumption is most pharmacies are ordering the Moderna vaccine as it's packed in smaller units, and more easily stored. Hospitals, larger health care facilities, and public health departments are going to be more able to manage the Pfizer storage conditions.

In Florida the state's priorities include general public over 65. From the sound of things, I'm guessing that at the county and municipal level, they're doing that with a combination of their own public health people (large scale events) and the pharmacy network. If another state hasn't moved to the general public, or has decided to begin by using their own resources (someone's paying pharmacists), then it may take longer for pharmacies to come on line.

Depending on how many states adopt the CDC's recommendations from yesterday, everything could change again in 24-48 hours. For instance, the larger military facilities here in the DC area just put out their guidance for over 75 a couple of days ago. The whole system will almost certainly move to over 65 and pre-existing conditions (which hasn't even been updated on the CDC web page!) as soon as possible, and throw all their planning out the door!

And that's not even accounting for employment-based priorities, where they're being followed. One of the local school districts (not my wife's, of course) has made arrangements with one of if not the largest health care system in Northern Virginia to vaccinate teachers and staff.

Thanks Mark! You mentioned the AFBs in your area are starting to give shots (to retirees)? If so, we'll definitely start monitoring our nearby AFB as well as both my DW and I are military retirees.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks Mark! You mentioned the AFBs in your area are starting to give shots (to retirees)? If so, we'll definitely start monitoring our nearby AFB as well as both my DW and I are military retirees.

Walter Reed and Fort Belvoir both had information out this week on over 75 (only). Those aren't AD...

That guidance will change by next week once the system moves to the guidance update. I'm in a co-morbidity category, so I'm theoretically up the list now. Two problems in the NCR are the sheer number of beneficiaries, and security and COVID requirements for facility access. AND, there are TWO federal holidays in the NCR next week (in a normal year you can't do business inside the Beltway on inauguration), and the FP CON is probably going up...

If your closest facility is on FB, follow them. That seems to be where they're pushing information rather than having to hunt for it.

• Thanks 1

Received a note today that we are on the list for vaccination in Palm Beach County. It was noted that they are able to vaccinate 500 per day based on supply, but 120000 are on the list and eligible for the vaccination. Do the math! Unless supply is significantly increased there will be no cruising. We need to put shots in arms!

15 hours ago, hcat said:

Getting appts in Fla not very easy.. demand exceeds supply , booking  systems are  overwhelmed.  Each local county  is different .

After many attempts and online disappointment, we finally have an appt for tom for a first shot. Hope it works out. Nervous but we  want to get it over with.

Seems like things are starting to  improve but may take awhile. 

News stories last night that the Florida state level ineptitude continues. Florida has a million doses that still have not been released by the state to the local jurisdictions.

Tap dancing was done by the top level state  leader that those doses were held back second doses. However, a check on this was made at the federal level and those doses are first dose vaccines.

Meanwhile, there is growing anger at the fact that non Florida residents are allowed to obtain the vaccine.

My husband and I are resigned to the fact that there is no local effort to have a workable system of appointments and that it may be several months before we will be vaccinated. We are in the group that is suppose to be receiving the vaccine now.

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

That's too bad, as it is likely that vaccinations will be required before sailing, at least for some period of time.

Can’t say I’m worried, the cruise industry will find a way to make it work as will others over time. I will get my jab some time over the next couple of weeks and can’t wait.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

News stories last night that the Florida state level ineptitude continues. Florida has a million doses that still have not been released by the state to the local jurisdictions.

Tap dancing was done by the top level state  leader that those doses were held back second doses. However, a check on this was made at the federal level and those doses are first dose vaccines.

Meanwhile, there is growing anger at the fact that non Florida residents are allowed to obtain the vaccine.

My husband and I are resigned to the fact that there is no local effort to have a workable system of appointments and that it may be several months before we will be vaccinated. We are in the group that is suppose to be receiving the vaccine now.

Hillsborough has been not bad at all.  I now know 10 seniors who already got their first shot (6 last week) or are getting it this week (4) and all remarked how organized it was. 

Edited to say, if you are willing to drive to another country, perhaps you'd have better results. Some I know did come over from Lee and Pinellas. 

Edited by sr4mjc

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Everyone 65 and older now eligible to get the vaccine in the State of CA as of today. 

https://www.kron4.com/news/california/california-to-notify-people-eligible-for-covid-19-vaccine/

Sounds good since I live in CA but apparently it is still up the County because my County still says ONLY health care providers and resident of Long Term Care facilities. 

• Like 1

The vaccine rollout in Georgia is a disaster. We were rated 50th out 50 states for distribution. Phone lines are down. Websites have crashed. The governor said that they underestimated the number of people wanting to get vaccinated. We have about one million residents in the 1A class. The current doses received is at 84,000 per week level. Do the math....we are in trouble. According to news sources, the state legislature in its infinite wisdom cut health department budgets over the last couple of years. We live in a rural county of about 70,000 residents. We do not have one single place in the county to receive vaccinations. I guess the only way to get immunity is to survive getting COVID. No help coming !

P.S. I had a doctor's appointment today. I asked him what the situation is at present. He said the he got an email shortly before my visit that stated the district was getting 30,000 doses sometime this week or next. NOTE: The district is for five GA counties with a population of over 500,000. That is sure going to make a 'big' dent.

7 hours ago, mayleeman said:

We heard about that, too! Getting closer...   Where are you in SC? We just moved to Hilton Head Lakes from Columbia. 

We are in Myrtle Beach.  The website went live today, and as expected, everyone and their brother over 70 tried to sign up to get an appt.   Not enough vaccines or appointments to make everyone happy.  Hopefully they will sort it out soon.  🍷

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I wouldn't count on the AFBs to get and give you the vaccine.  I tried to get the Shingles vaccine at Chas AFB for months as it was not covered by Medicare.  Found out that it is covered by Tricare for Life so got it at my local Publix in the required 2 doses.  I would try to get in a queue at your local CVS or hospital.  AFBs are going to use their allotment for the active duty, which they should.  🍷

• Thanks 1

Here's a positive update

( also posted on the " How Are Things  Where u Are  "thread)

Posted 2 minutes ago

Got our 1st dose of Moderna today at a local hospital in Arcadia Fl ( historic cowboy town) It is located away from major tourist and retirement communities and we had  to drive a bit over 1 hr..,..We had a place  near there in the 80/90s when we first started visiting Florida. 

The process was very well organized.. we booked via phone call, had info numbers to call with any questions.  They kept to the schedule, had wonderful staff, assist from local law ofcrs, good med supervision.  Easy parking!

We are very lucky!  Kudos to DeSoto Memorial Hospital....great model of how to get it right. Our next dose is on reserve..hope we can stop at the strawberry farm along the way!

They have  re opened phone regis  tomorrow..we have told our neighbors in Sarasota County to try and register there, esp ones with health issues.We were more .comfortable getting it at a hospital...no side effects yet,,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

We are in Myrtle Beach.  The website went live today, and as expected, everyone and their brother over 70 tried to sign up to get an appt.   Not enough vaccines or appointments to make everyone happy.  Hopefully they will sort it out soon.  🍷

why are you so eager to get the vaccine?  I thought you said COVID wasn't that big of a problem, overexaggerated, like the flu, etc. etc. etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

why are you so eager to get the vaccine?  I thought you said COVID wasn't that big of a problem, overexaggerated, like the flu, etc. etc. etc.

Let it go. Let's keep this nonconfrontational thread going strong! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

It's not a problem for the 99.6% who get it and recover.  It's the high risk folks that have to take precautions.  I never said I was so eager to get the vaccine.  I've had covid and have the antibodies.  My only symptoms were a post nasal drip.    I'll sell some of the plasma to you if you're interested.   😁 🍷   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

It's not a problem for the 99.6% who get it and recover.  It's the high risk folks that have to take precautions.  I never said I was so eager to get the vaccine.  I've had covid and have the antibodies.  My only symptoms were a post nasal drip.    I'll sell some of the plasma to you if you're interested.   😁 🍷   

Now if only 99.6% of those diagnosed with COVID did 100% recover and we knew that those antibodies of recovered individuals last for many months or years.  My relatives have all recovered by three have lingering issues both sensory and mental.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If that's the case, I'm really rooting more than ever for the J&J and AZ vaccines to get their FDA EUA approval in February.

J&J may still get approval in February but their production is way behind,  May not catch up until April.

J&J will not be able to give the U.S. its promised 12 million doses by February | Daily Mail Online

6 hours ago, baldilocks said:

The vaccine rollout in Georgia is a disaster. We were rated 50th out 50 states for distribution. Phone lines are down. Websites have crashed. The governor said that they underestimated the number of people wanting to get vaccinated. We have about one million residents in the 1A class. The current doses received is at 84,000 per week level. Do the math....we are in trouble. According to news sources, the state legislature in its infinite wisdom cut health department budgets over the last couple of years. We live in a rural county of about 70,000 residents. We do not have one single place in the county to receive vaccinations. I guess the only way to get immunity is to survive getting COVID. No help coming !

P.S. I had a doctor's appointment today. I asked him what the situation is at present. He said the he got an email shortly before my visit that stated the district was getting 30,000 doses sometime this week or next. NOTE: The district is for five GA counties with a population of over 500,000. That is sure going to make a 'big' dent.

Wow that’s bad. 

17 hours ago, Homosassa said:

There is a workable system in Fl. You have to read up on what’s going on, sign up for updates from any board of health.  Making an appt by phone is decent, now.

persistence is the key.

keep trying!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mimbecky said:

J&J may still get approval in February but their production is way behind,  May not catch up until April.

J&J will not be able to give the U.S. its promised 12 million doses by February | Daily Mail Online

That's OK. On the bright side, it's a "one and done" shot!

Our county in Florida has a very organized system and seems to know exactly how to make it work. DW and I got our first shots two days ago and will complete the process on 2/9/2021. Only good things to say about the experience. The enormity of this undertaking ensures that all attempts to provide satisfactory administration will not go smoothly. As frustrating as that is to the people who are having issues, eventually all will be well. We here in my hometown are fortunate, we realize that. Considering where the world was eleven months ago and the devastating effects that continue to occur, how fortunate we all are to have an opportunity to get well. That light at the end of the tunnel will indeed shine brighter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1