The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

For those of you who have sat at the bar at the Avenue Saloon on Crystal Serenity did you ever look underneath and saw to letters.  If you did, who would have seen a K and an A.  Full disclosure Anne Marie and I can't take credit for that but it could make a good story.IMG_6074.thumb.jpeg.25bf7aa4679d0268b2f7ebe9e7e027b6.jpeg

Keith

Two days ago I had a sunrise from the Westbound Canadian near Saskatoon.  Today's is from the Eastern Canadian at Saskatoon.  Not exactly the sunrise itself but the sun reflecting off the side of the train as it emerges July 17, 2005.

ytgl021.jpg.dc65de80ff260c910cfe181ebb41

Roy

• Like 3

17 hours ago, rafinmd said:

That was 2018.  I fortunately boarded in Fort Lauderdale.

Roy

You are correct!  Many of the crew had never played in the snow and they were having fun.  One of the younger passengers built a snowman.image.thumb.jpeg.e36a983eb828e984840bd46fe2663917.jpeg

• Like 3

Vince,

This one written especially with you in mind.

We had dinner last night at the reopened and reimagined Pineapple and Pearls. (Pre-pandemic, our favorite special event restaurant in the DMV.)

Oh. My. Gosh.  To die for x3,  Why x3?  Because there's three ways you think you're going to swoon:

"Oh this food, oh the fun we're having, OH, this check!" 

Looks like we're enjoying Hamburger Helper for awhile.  I have no regrets.

• Like 2

I have a sunset today; it's from my 2008 Rovos Rail journey from DarEsSalam to Capetown.  The sunset July 18 came our final day before reaching Victoria Falls

IMG_1086.JPG.5892157ceaba4483ec58e8eaf514b83e.JPG

Symphony has taken a huge lead over Serenity and is now in the Med.  Appears she went straight through without getting anywhere near Endeavor.

Roy

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ctjon said:

Wonder if she has earlier dry dock appointment. Or they are racing 

Unless there's emergency work that needs to be done before their actual refits, I can't see how they're going to go into dry dock immediately...  There won't be any furnishings or machinery to refit with for some time.

Vince

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 4:58 PM, KenzSailing said:

Vince,

This one written especially with you in mind.

We had dinner last night at the reopened and reimagined Pineapple and Pearls. (Pre-pandemic, our favorite special event restaurant in the DMV.)

Oh. My. Gosh.  To die for x3,  Why x3?  Because there's three ways you think you're going to swoon:

"Oh this food, oh the fun we're having, OH, this check!" 

Looks like we're enjoying Hamburger Helper for awhile.  I have no regrets.

I _LITERALLY_ had a Bologna sandwich today on this premise -- I concur completely!  

Where are the food pics?!

Vince

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ctjon said:

Wonder if she has earlier dry dock appointment. Or they are racing 

Roy No for sure Symphony is not racing.

Serenity was just going slower.

Also they are not even close to dry docks. 

There is a lot to do in terms of planning let alone all of the other things that are required.

We all have to remember that Manfredi didn't get the cruise line.  He got assets and the key is to get people in place to do the planning and all of the other functions.

Keith

• Like 3

An interesting thing happened to us last night.  We were at a local restaurant in Austin, and during our meal a waiter came up to my wife and said "you sailed on Crystal."  Of course we struck up a conversation and he worked on the Symphony from 2015 until the ship was shut down in March 2020.

His name is Salih Taysi, he is from Turkey and he worked as a waiter in Waterside.  We talked for quite a while off and on and we new several of his fellow waiters.  He said he worked closely with Remy. He remains in contact with many of his friends from Symphony and he said several were working on Silversea.

He is married and has a 9 month daughter.  We asked about returning to Crystal and he said he has been contacted about returning in March, but he is staying in Austin with his new family.  

Small world isn't it?

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

An interesting thing happened to us last night.  We were at a local restaurant in Austin, and during our meal a waiter came up to my wife and said "you sailed on Crystal."  Of course we struck up a conversation and he worked on the Symphony from 2015 until the ship was shut down in March 2020.

His name is Salih Taysi, he is from Turkey and he worked as a waiter in Waterside.  We talked for quite a while off and on and we new several of his fellow waiters.  He said he worked closely with Remy. He remains in contact with many of his friends from Symphony and he said several were working on Silversea.

He is married and has a 9 month daughter.  We asked about returning to Crystal and he said he has been contacted about returning in March, but he is staying in Austin with his new family.  

Small world isn't it?

If you go there again, please tell him I said hello. 

3 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Small world isn't it?

May I ask which restaurant?

Keirh. 

4 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

His name is Salih Taysi, he is from Turkey and he worked as a waiter in Waterside. 

Lovely guy - if you see him again perhaps he’ll do some of table side magic tricks for you. Note the fork in the picture

CE57F6A6-0EA5-49B9-BF7E-2C148EA1D76F.thumb.jpeg.06f21e1057dd2856c57fc74b43809a9b.jpeg

It’s great to see him and his family settled ashore 

• Like 5