The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

We thoroughly enjoyed Maloy. It was a late addition to our itinerary and we didn’t schedule a tour there. We were perfectly happy to soak up their great art and local culture and residents. 

• Like 6

Maybe some of you have been in Basel with a river cruise? We have seen Viking and Ama Waterways docking in Basel. This time we are not on a cruise. We are on our way to do some hiking in the Bernese Highlands. I wanted to share with you a picture of one of the nicest Rathaus I have seen… 

Ivi171FC7D1-2988-4ECB-AA81-49E5E03E2DA0.thumb.jpeg.83d1448061e0ef607336efe390bea532.jpeg

• Like 5

I prefer heat over cold when it comes to outside temperature and sometimes wonder how I ever grew up in the East Coast.  But,.........While I like it hot we are on track to break previous records for the most days over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and yesterday we hit 105, and starting today the forecast has highs of 106, 105, 103, 103, 1001 and 100 for the next six days.  We get a cold front when the forecast says a week from today our high is only 99.

So, for me to get all my miles in I have to go outside early when it is dark and it is me and the wildlife.  After taking a break I go back outside in the daylight but I try to go on our trail system which in our community now total 17+ miles.  While hot I get benefit of some shade from trees while enjoying its overall beauty.

As Roy Rogers would sing Happy Trails.................

Keith

IMG_0249.thumb.jpeg.e4a7d6a8a26d4d6ecf581186339b5ce4.jpeg

IMG_0247.thumb.jpeg.932aa407b0b940ec5591a7626851a955.jpeg

• Like 6

on New Crystal we want a full size midnight buffet 🙃

now  seriously : is a midnight buffet still done somewhere ?  and I do mean a buffet not some pizza, sandwiches , snacks or "curry wurst"  curry sausage as done by Hapag  or croques as on¨Ponant 

my very last was on QE2 in June 1998 doing a crossing 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

on New Crystal we want a full size midnight buffet 🙃

now  seriously : is a midnight buffet still done somewhere ?  and I do mean a buffet not some pizza, sandwiches , snacks or "curry wurst"  curry sausage as done by Hapag  or croques as on¨Ponant 

my very last was on QE2 in June 1998 doing a crossing 

This reminds me of the cruise director saying in the old days on ships "people ask what time the midnight buffet is?"

I could go though.  I would be waking up for the buffet.  Do you think it would have breakfast.  LOL.

The last midnight buffets I went to was on Celebrity Cruises in the 1990's.  I remember on one of the night it would be all the normal stuff and an extravaganza of fancy desserts.  This was back in the day when we would come on for 7 days for our only cruise of the year with the exception of one year where we did three seven day cruises with different lines and in the seven days would gain 7 to 10 pounds.  I would say those midnight buffets contributed to half of the weight gain.  🤔

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I prefer heat over cold when it comes to outside temperature and sometimes wonder how I ever grew up in the East Coast.  But,.........While I like it hot we are on track to break previous records for the most days over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and yesterday we hit 105, and starting today the forecast has highs of 106, 105, 103, 103, 1001 and 100 for the next six days.  We get a cold front when the forecast says a week from today our high is only 99.

So, for me to get all my miles in I have to go outside early when it is dark and it is me and the wildlife.  After taking a break I go back outside in the daylight but I try to go on our trail system which in our community now total 17+ miles.  While hot I get benefit of some shade from trees while enjoying its overall beauty.

As Roy Rogers would sing Happy Trails.................

Keith

IMG_0249.thumb.jpeg.e4a7d6a8a26d4d6ecf581186339b5ce4.jpeg

IMG_0247.thumb.jpeg.932aa407b0b940ec5591a7626851a955.jpeg

Let us know how you make out with that 1001 degree day!!! Now THAT'S hot!!😁😁😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Today's high in The Desert is expected to be 115.   We don't expect the high to dip below 100 until mid to late fall....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Let us know how you make out with that 1001 degree day!!! Now THAT'S hot!!😁😁😁

Well I got the others right didn't I?  LOL.

Man if you thought 100 was hot 1001 is worse than an over.  LOL.

Please send us cooler weather from your end.  And if you don't we are going to send you a lot of hot air and I'm not talking about CC but our air.  🤣

• Like 1

This morning started out quite cloudy so I'm reposting a sunrise from last July 10 taken from the Port Nassau webcam with the sun coming up over the Crystal Serenity and Adventure of the Seas:

dawn0710nassau.JPG.da9eece8ee019ceab50de

Roy

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Well I got the others right didn't I?  LOL.

Man if you thought 100 was hot 1001 is worse than an over.  LOL.

Please send us cooler weather from your end.  And if you don't we are going to send you a lot of hot air and I'm not talking about CC but our air.  🤣

I would, but when you factor in  the humidity, we are not a whole lot cooler!!😅

• Haha 1

From @travelberlin

"Oh yes Thanks! I could not remember the words. I should have googled myself 😔

Ivi"

Ivy, not a problem!  I actually enjoy learning new words and things.  You gave me that opportunity yesterday.  Thanks for sharing!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

You living in the "humidity capital" of the world in the DC area know all there is to know about humidity! 😮 😮 

As bad as humidity can be here in Toronto, we visited DC a number of years ago and I truly thought we were going to have to spend the entire weekend in the pool! Then, when we were leaving, our flight was delayed by massive thunderstorms. After two aborts, our Air Canada RJ pilot got permission to leave, and we took off, straight up! Looking out the window, I said to my wife, "We have never been quite this high." when the Captain came on and said "We got over the storm, we are at 50,000 feet, and are now starting our descent into Toronto!" 😮😮

• Like 4

I would love to hear about your first cruise; when, where, cruise line, memories, etc.

For me.

1967, not even a teen.

Home Lines (Italian Line)

Homeric

13 Night New York City R/T visiting Caribbean and Carribbean

Memories:

Visitors could board on embarkation day and there were all sorts of parties.

We threw paper confetti before we departed NYC.

Assigned table for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.

The next day was the first time I remember seeing this beautiful blue water for the very first time in my life.  On Long Island it was gray/green looking.

Emphasis on Italian Cuisine. I remember having Pizza as an appetizer for dinner.  Yummy.

For whatever tip my father gave, we had our own set of deck chairs in a shady area.  I remember the name of the crew member (Pino) who got everything set for us each day.

Skeet Shooting.  I remember my father participated.  

Not many kids on board but a couple of Junior Counselors.

We would play what I think they called it donut tennis.  You would throw something that looked like a donut which was rubber over the next and the other person had to catch it and throw it back.

Costume Party.  I wore a paper mache over my face with holes for the eyes.  My mom drew a woman on my stomach and I guess covered neck down to that area.  Yes, first place.  

We had a great time.  Tried to convince Anne Marie to go on a cruise for our honeymoon in 1977 but not interested so we spent a week in Bermuda.  Fourteen years later my wish cam true and we took the kids on the Big Red Boat.  The Oceanic which was a sister of Homeric for Home Lines and we had gone onto the ship to get her mom settled for a cruise she went on.

As they say the rest is history.

I do still have the passenger list from the Home Lines Cruise. A keeper for sure.

Keith

• Like 3

My first "cruise" was on the Alaska ferry Matanuska, Ketchikan to Seward, my first overnight at sea.  Greatly enjoyed it and had an hour or so to get off at every stop.  First traditional cruise was 3 days on Carnival Fantasy in 1993, old Regent Sun in 1994, and a nearly new Crystal Symphony (Southampton to  Barcelona) in 1996.  From there, as they say the rest is history.

Roy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I would love to hear about your first cruise; when, where, cruise line, memories, etc.

For me.

1967, not even a teen.

Home Lines (Italian Line)

Homeric

13 Night New York City R/T visiting Caribbean and Carribbean

Memories:

Visitors could board on embarkation day and there were all sorts of parties.

We threw paper confetti before we departed NYC.

Assigned table for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.

The next day was the first time I remember seeing this beautiful blue water for the very first time in my life.  On Long Island it was gray/green looking.

Emphasis on Italian Cuisine. I remember having Pizza as an appetizer for dinner.  Yummy.

For whatever tip my father gave, we had our own set of deck chairs in a shady area.  I remember the name of the crew member (Pino) who got everything set for us each day.

Skeet Shooting.  I remember my father participated.  

Not many kids on board but a couple of Junior Counselors.

We would play what I think they called it donut tennis.  You would throw something that looked like a donut which was rubber over the next and the other person had to catch it and throw it back.

Costume Party.  I wore a paper mache over my face with holes for the eyes.  My mom drew a woman on my stomach and I guess covered neck down to that area.  Yes, first place.  

We had a great time.  Tried to convince Anne Marie to go on a cruise for our honeymoon in 1977 but not interested so we spent a week in Bermuda.  Fourteen years later my wish cam true and we took the kids on the Big Red Boat.  The Oceanic which was a sister of Homeric for Home Lines and we had gone onto the ship to get her mom settled for a cruise she went on.

As they say the rest is history.

I do still have the passenger list from the Home Lines Cruise. A keeper for sure.

Keith

My parents did a similar itinerary on Homeric in that same time period...the only they ever took .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

7 night Carnival Cruise to the Mexican Riviera in 1985, which is what we could afford at the time.

The ambiance was totally dominated by very loud inebriated partiers, not to our taste. 

There were no enrichment activities. 

I can't remember the evening entertainment, so by definition not memorable.

I do remember lots of standing in long, hot, boring lines to get off and on the ship at ports.

The food was plentiful, but just "okay."

We were assigned an 8 person table at dinner with 6 people (including us), 2 of whom left the ship mid-cruise, and we did not have much in common with the other 2.

We decided cruising was not for us.  Thirly years later, we finally succumbed to persistent urging from a friend, @RLMSLL, that Crystal was nothing like Carnival, and we would enjoy sailing on Crystal.  We  booked a cruise through the Panama Canal on Crystal Symphony, and we decided that cruising was definitely for us. "The rest is history."

• Like 6