The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

On 7/22/2022 at 5:08 PM, TER777 said:

Will you still be there? I board July 29 too as part of the Crystal Refugee ballroom dance group. 

I ran into bartender Monet (13 years on Symphony) last night at Dolce Vita lounge on Silver Moon. He was happy to hear another group of Crystal refugees will be aboard next sailing. He’ll be looking for y’all…

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BEAV said:

I ran into bartender Monet (13 years on Symphony) last night at Dolce Vita lounge on Silver Moon. He was happy to hear another group of Crystal refugees will be aboard next sailing. He’ll be looking for y’all…

Glad you’re having a nice cruise, been following along.  I believe the bartender your referring to is Morne from South Africa.  Great guy and we sailed with him many times on the symphony.

enjoy,

Nancy

• Like 1

Bryan,

To be serious for a moment, is there anything like the Avenue Saloon in the late hours on SS?  I'm not trying to recreate the Crystal experience but I did spend many dissolute hours there and would like to approximate that entertainment in future.

Also, I too remember his name as Monet, but it was in a bar and...you know.  Anyway I once pointed out to him that he could body (and face) double a younger Clive Owen.  

Finally, I made Kansas City style baked beans in the pressure cooker tonight.  Semi-winged the recipe.  They were so good, I may have to reopen the Chez. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Finally, I made Kansas City style baked beans in the pressure cooker tonight.  Semi-winged the recipe.  They were so good, I may have to reopen the Chez. 

Oh thank you for the culinary update! I was just thinking of asking you what is on your menu this summer. Sounds like your beans are a success and what a nice use of the pressure cooker. I hope you took some good notes and will add this to the Chez offerings soon. 

Also, don't British people eat beans for breakfast? Not Kansas City style ones, but I believe it is a thing there in the UK.

• Like 2

Maybe not baked beans, but we made a most amazing paella for dinner tonight, based off an Emeril Lagasse recipe, preceded by an appetizer of steamed mussels, freshly baked sour dough baguette and a really good New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc!! 🙂

• Like 4

There is a saying time flies when you are having fun and this resonates with me as I believe it does with several of you.

Twenty years ago we were sailing Crystal Harmony on a San Francisco R/T cruise of Alaska for the very first time.  We board on July 16 and one year ago we were in Ketchikan.  I remember the cruise and many details as if it was yesterday. Brought our family with us including future son-in-law.

Back when we lived in the Bay Area I would see ads for Crystal Cruises in the San Francisco Newspaper Sunday Travel Section and had hoped when the children were the right age we would sail Crystal.  And we did.

Crystalized within one hour as I needed help from the Concierge who clearly took ownership of the issue, recognized me by name and resolved the problem.  

We even sailed when another member from this board was on-board.  We didn't meet but she watched the video a couple of years ago she recognized Anne Marie and myself.  It is a small world after all.

In someways the feeling back then is the feeling I have today.  Back then we were so sure we would enjoy sailing Crystal a couple of months before boarding we booked a cruise for the following Summer on Crystal Symphony sailing Dover to Rouen.  I think this was my first contribution to the board as I learned you could book a second cruise and you would get the on-board booking discount once on-board. Back then you just needed to stop by  to see the on-board booking consultant.  

Today, we don't know what the ships will look like after dry dock nor what the experience will be like, but I am confident that we will enjoy it that we plan to book more than one Crystal Cruise when the itineraries come out.

IMG_20200809_0001.thumb.jpeg.17f24b97aa30cee7df543fc4701d9c18.jpeg

IMG_20220725_0001.thumb.jpeg.49bcda2e8536e23fec0456bd39eef1fb.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Bryan,

To be serious for a moment, is there anything like the Avenue Saloon in the late hours on SS?  I'm not trying to recreate the Crystal experience but I did spend many dissolute hours there and would like to approximate that entertainment in future.

Also, I too remember his name as Monet, but it was in a bar and...you know.  Anyway I once pointed out to him that he could body (and face) double a younger Clive Owen.  

Kenz, 

Not that I’ve found, yet, where there’s a pianist that hosts and engages in the Avenue. 

But between the disco a few nights back and CD Raphael, who told me this morning that approximately 75 were dancing and having a great time in the Panorama Lounge late last night, the sidewalk don’t roll up here at 10:00pm. At least on this sailing…

If you want to quickly organize a Go Fund Me to stay onboard for the next sailing, I’ll zero in closer on the midnight doings…

Sure hope the Chez reopens. Didn’t realize it had shuttered. Still trying to get on the mailing list…🤔

• Like 3

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

I'm trying to branch out on my white wine appreciation.  What wine did you have?

Thanks,

~Nancy

It was a Nobilo 2020 from Nobilo Vineyards in Marlborough. It was very good!

Since we are sharing our recent meals:

The owner of my local organic meal kit company Homegrown Foods provided notes on one of my recipes this week. Delivery included the local farmed pork, sweet corn, habanero pickled onions, corn tortillas, sour cream, and banana leaves. So easy and Yummy! I love Yucatecan flavor. Good with beer.

Puerco Pibil con Escabeche de Cebolla

COOK TIME: 30 MIN, PLUS SLOW COOK
807 cal, 41g fat, 68g carbs, 48g protein, 8g fiber

Alright I admit it, the first time I made puerco pibil it was because I was inspired from Robert Rodriguez’s recipe in the DVD Extras of “Once Upon a Time in Mexico”. It is a unique dish that originates from the Yucatan, achiote-marinated pork shoulder is slow-cooked in banana leaves. Served with some fire-hot pickled red onions, corn and corn tortillas.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

Since we are sharing our recent meals:

The owner of my local organic meal kit company Homegrown Foods provided notes on one of my recipes this week. Delivery included the local farmed pork, sweet corn, habanero pickled onions, corn tortillas, sour cream, and banana leaves. So easy and Yummy! I love Yucatecan flavor. Good with beer.

Puerco Pibil con Escabeche de Cebolla

COOK TIME: 30 MIN, PLUS SLOW COOK
807 cal, 41g fat, 68g carbs, 48g protein, 8g fiber

Alright I admit it, the first time I made puerco pibil it was because I was inspired from Robert Rodriguez’s recipe in the DVD Extras of “Once Upon a Time in Mexico”. It is a unique dish that originates from the Yucatan, achiote-marinated pork shoulder is slow-cooked in banana leaves. Served with some fire-hot pickled red onions, corn and corn tortillas.

Did you see that Diana Kennedy, the expert on regional Mexican foods, died yesterday? She was up in her 90s.

• Like 1

So this hit my inbox and made me blink for a second.  

Kenneth, join us for an exclusive dinner under the Endeavour

It's dinner under the suspended space shuttle Endeavour at the California Science Center.  Kind of cool. 

• Like 7

A favorite show of mine when growing up was Leave It To Beaver.  I could relate to Beav as my brother was quite a bit older as Wally Cleaver.  I think I had a little bit of the Beav in my in my younger years.  

Sad to learn of the passing of Tony Dow who played Wally.  He was 77.

Keith

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

A favorite show of mine when growing up was Leave It To Beaver.  I could relate to Beav as my brother was quite a bit older as Wally Cleaver.  I think I had a little bit of the Beav in my in my younger years.  

Sad to learn of the passing of Tony Dow who played Wally.  He was 77.

Why is it where we live the Turkeys are out.  No I am not talking about people. I am talking about the real thing.  

Do you think they believe no one is thinking about Thanksgiving Dinner since we have five months to go?

And I hope I have not offended any of the Turkeys on this board.  I promise I realize you are one of a kind.

Just saying.

Keith

IMG_0285.thumb.jpeg.5b9378b2d38bdd7d23251866d8ee22ad.jpeg

• Like 3