Two Carnival Cruise Ships Have Been Sold and Two Others Going to Long Term Lay-Up Status

shof515

16 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

I bet they have never had so many ships in good enough mechanical order to blast full speed up onto the beach.

Caribe1/ Regal empress limped to Algang and almost did not make it, as as happened to many ships over the years.

Sailed on the Caribe in 1992 to the eastern Caribbean out of Miami. She was special.

DE4E792B-98B2-45F4-80AB-1F1281C3DE58.jpeg

068DF503-5878-4298-B4A9-DD9998D49D98.jpeg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Sailed on the Caribe in 1992 to the eastern Caribbean out of Miami. She was special.

DE4E792B-98B2-45F4-80AB-1F1281C3DE58.jpeg

068DF503-5878-4298-B4A9-DD9998D49D98.jpeg

My first two cruises in 1988 and 89 were on Caribe. I fell in love with cruising on this ocean liner. Loved the old classics. I also !ove Fantasy! Lots of crazy good times on 4 Fantasy cruises so really a bummer to see this ship gone as well😢

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

My first two cruises in 1988 and 89 were on Caribe. I fell in love with cruising on this ocean liner. Loved the old classics. I also !ove Fantasy! Lots of crazy good times on 4 Fantasy cruises so really a bummer to see this ship gone as well😢

I sometimes chuckle when I read comments calling a ten year old ship “old”. The Caribe was 39 years old when we cruised on this ship. Another of my favorites was the Seabreeze from Dolphin Cruise Line. This ship was 36 years old when we cruised in 1993. Seven nights to the eastern Caribbean. A true beauty.

7E7F0EE2-2E26-4BAE-85EE-CEC40B7FFE00.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 2:32 PM, cruisingator2 said:

I sometimes chuckle when I read comments calling a ten year old ship “old”. The Caribe was 39 years old when we cruised on this ship. Another of my favorites was the Seabreeze from Dolphin Cruise Line. This ship was 36 years old when we cruised in 1993. Seven nights to the eastern Caribbean. A true beauty.

I got married on the Seabreeze in 97.  Very fond memories.  She was sailing for premier cruise line then and her hull was completely Blue 

I wonder how Carnival decided which Fantasty Class ships to scrap. The Fantasy was for sure...but why the Inspiration over some of her older sisters. And I thought they would want to keep the Fascination in the fleet as she has balconies and maybe lay up on of the others without...very odd indeed as to how they choose ships to take out of service.

22 minutes ago, roeco9084 said:

I wonder how Carnival decided which Fantasty Class ships to scrap. The Fantasy was for sure...but why the Inspiration over some of her older sisters. And I thought they would want to keep the Fascination in the fleet as she has balconies and maybe lay up on of the others without...very odd indeed as to how they choose ships to take out of service.

The four remaining Fantasy Class ships (Ecstasy, Sensation, Elation, and Paradise ) all have balconies. I believe that the ships taken out of service were the next ones due for a dry dock. 

Fascination is due for drydock by February 2021, and is presumably still scheduled for November 6-20, 2020, for what would likely be just routine engine, propeller, hull, and hotel maintenance.

Imagination is not due until October 2022, but of course does not have the additional balconies.

Inspiration was due by November 2021, as her last drydock was November 2018.

Fantasy was not due until January 2022, and her schedule prior to being retired would have allowed for that, however she had no sailings scheduled beyond January 8, 2022.

Ecstasy (10/19) & Sensation (01/20) have had recent dry docks. The Elation & Paradise are the youngest of the class, and having had recent extensive dry docks which added balconies and the new Grand Deck make them the most desirable of the class. They picked the right four to take out of service. 😎

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 2:32 PM, cruisingator2 said:

Also sailed on Seabreeze in 1993/94. Girls cruises. We closed the disco way way down almost in crew quarters deck each nite.  Loved this ship as well. 

2 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

Also sailed on Seabreeze in 1993/94. Girls cruises. We closed the disco way way down almost in crew quarters deck each nite.  Loved this ship as well. 

Wasn't Caribe later Regal Empress?  I sailed on it out of Port Manatee to the western Caribbean. The disco was way down in the bowels of the ship!

BobK/Orlando

On 7/29/2020 at 10:51 AM, ch09 said:

Looks like a parking lot for late 80’s to early 90’s ships.

It's odd seeing the "bigger" ships now getting scrapped. I remember when I first started cruising and thought these ships were gigantic then.

Also, assuming the Fascination & Imagination also get scrapped, Carnival would have 25 ships by 2022 if the Celebration is ready on time. So there won't be a shortage of ships for Carnival. Just surprised the Fascination is going before Ecstasy.

3 hours ago, toad455 said:

Also, assuming the Fascination & Imagination also get scrapped, Carnival would have 25 ships by 2022 if the Celebration is ready on time. So there won't be a shortage of ships for Carnival. Just surprised the Fascination is going before Ecstasy.

Pretty sure I saw a recent picture of the Fascination and she had balconies.

I got married on the Seabreeze in 97.  Very fond memories.  She was sailing for premier cruise line then and her hull was completely Blue 

i agree with you. the current crop of cruisers have no idea of the beauty and majesty of past ocean liners but that is the trend. unfortunately the cruise lines need to adapt to the masses. sad but the money controls!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

56 minutes ago, roeco9084 said:

It looks like Imagination has left Freeport and destination set to Curaco.

This ship will be docking at Mega 2 cruise terminal and will be there for two days and not at Brion Wharf where the Fantasy & Inspiration were tied up. It will also only be there for two days and not five or six. The slot machines likely will be removed whether or not the ship is headed to Turkey  or to cold storage, since Carnival does not own them.