Two Carnival Cruise Ships Have Been Sold and Two Others Going to Long Term Lay-Up Status

shof515

7 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

They never closed. You are misinformed. 

We live in San Diego and can't drive across today, I see where on the 21st of this month plane arrivals from the U.S. have continued.

Edited by sanmarcosman

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

We live in San Diego and can't drive across today, I see where on the 21st of this month plane arrivals from the U.S. has continued.

Its was only ever the land border. Many US flights paused during the spring, but all the AIs are open for business. No testing requirements. Just FYI. Headed to PDC in October. 

• Like 1

"Land borders between Mexico and the U.S. are closed until July 21, but American travelers are allowed to arrive by plane. Mexican states have different timelines for reopening, so be sure to check which ones are open to nonessential—that is, leisure—travel. (The state of Quintana Roo and Los Cabos are on that list.) Read more about Mexico's travel restrictions. "

Source: https://www.afar.com/magazine/where-can-americans-travel-right-now

• Like 2

Imagination was our second cruise and the only one DH and I have taken alone. Fascination was our first family cruise.  Loved

them both.

Crews on them were amazing.  I remember how our toddler grand scraped his chin.  Every time our steward saw us, he would check the boo-boo.  The fantasy class ships may be older, but we have had some of our best cruises on them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

The west coast and in particular the Port of Long Beach got a big boost with this announcement. Thanks, Carnival!

Sure got a boost since now we can book 3 and 4 day cruises in a balcony. My favorite part of sailing is sitting on the balcony with my glass of wine in the evenings and a cup of coffee watching the sun rise. Too excited!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

That's sad.  I was hoping Carnival would let some other port enjoy her and keep Conquest and Dream classes in Galveston.  

I would prefer if they sent Horizon to Galveston too and keep more Dream and Conquest class ships in Florida 😊.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I would prefer if they sent Horizon to Galveston too and keep more Dream and Conquest class ships in Florida 😊.  

So I'm not alone in wishing the Vista class ships would sail gently into that good night to some other home port.

Carnival seems to say Galveston is an important port but to treat it as a redheaded stepchild.

We will have the Dream, the only Dream class I haven't yet experienced, but I'm sure going to miss the Freedom.  At this point I would welcome any Conquest class ship and hold out a tiny bit of hope they won't eventually replace the Vista with another Vista class.

Alas, they don't let me vote.

3 hours ago, tybrkr17 said:

Any reason why the Fascination might go before the Ecstasy or Sensation? It is three years newer than the Ecstasy and I think it has the same balcony upgrades as those two. 

I would have thought the first four Fantasy class ships that would have got sold off first would be:

Fantasy (Oldest and no balcony upgrade)

Ecstasy (Oldest ship with the balcony upgrade)

Imagination (No Balcony upgrade)

Inspiration (No Balcony upgrade)

Leaving Fascination, Sensation, Paradise and Elation. (The four newest Fantasy class ships with the upgrades)

My only thought: Ecstasy went through dry dock last year and Fascination is/was scheduled to go into dry dock this year, so they can keep Ecstasy around without having to lay out any money for dry dock maintenance. I've read Sensation is also scheduled to go into dry dock this year too, but they probably needed the capacity of one of the two and they picked Sensation over Fascination.

3 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

That's sad.  I was hoping Carnival would let some other port enjoy her and keep Conquest and Dream classes in Galveston.  

LOL, I think it sad as well, but for a entirely different reason....

5 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

These 3/4 day cruises out of Long Beach are money makers. Now imagine on a "Sunshined" ship?? It will most certainly attract the demographic now $$

All Carnival ships are money makers, out of all of the ports.  I am sure the Radiance will be fine filling a Fantasy class role.  I am actually surprised they have committed the Panorama for as long as they have to the west coast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

Carnival seems to say Galveston is an important port but to treat it as a redheaded stepchild.

Galveston is important. The Radiance was going to be Galveston's 4'th Carnival ship, so for now we are suck at 3. I remember when we just had 1.  My guess in they have been looking at the demand in Galveston and removing the Radiance balanced things out and keep prices reasonable. Carnival is already losing a lot of money it would only make things worse if they had too much capacity in one port with week demand. 

I still think we will get a 4'th ship and I still think it may be an XL ship, even though there is no evidence of it yet.  The Galveston port has invested a lot in CNG and Texas is the CNG capital of the world.  The new president of the port authority(who came from Port Canaveral)  was brought on to attract an Oasis class ship to Galveston and has set a goal of making it the 2nd or 3'rd largest cruise port in the US. This is probably a set back, but I think Galveston will get more ships over time. So don't worry just yet.

Times have changed Galveston, I remember when there was a debate they brought the first ship if it would be good for the Galveston. Now Cruise traffic accounts for the largest portion of the port authority revenue(at least until this mess happened).  

I've always asked for upgrades, and the travel agents have always told me that Galveston is always fully booked, and don't expect upgrades. 

I remember several years ago, I thought that I had a cruise booked on one of the Carnival ships in Galveston, and a few days before sailing, when i logged onto the Carnival site, I realized that I was never booked.  I called immediately, and couldn't get a booking. At that time, Princess was sailing out of the Houston Terminal, and we successfully booked our cruise for the same weekend. You never know!

25 minutes ago, wo5m said:

Galveston is important. The Radiance was going to be Galveston's 4'th Carnival ship, so for now we are suck at 3. I remember when we just had 1.  My guess in they have been looking at the demand in Galveston and removing the Radiance balanced things out and keep prices reasonable. Carnival is already losing a lot of money it would only make things worse if they had too much capacity in one port with week demand. 

Three would be ok with me.  A minimum of 7 days on a Dream class (imo the spa facilities are the best in the fleet) or a Conquest class (uncrowded feeling) is what I would like.  At least one or the other.

Meanwhile the 8 day Freedom cruise I have booked for October will almost certainly be cancelled, and I'm not eager to replace it with a Vista cruise or a shorter cruise.

My stepchild comment stands.

12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Has the Fantasy been in the Med since she left the shipyard almost 30 years ago?

Roy

The Fantasy was built in Helsinki, so this is the first time that the Fantasy has been in the Mediterranean Sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2020 at 4:31 AM, ch09 said:

The Fantasy was built in Helsinki, so this is the first time that the Fantasy has been in the Mediterranean Sea.

Very good observation! The entire Fantasy class was built extremely well and Fantasy itself could've lasted for another 20 - 40 years. Speaking of Helsinki, here are some old construction photos from way back when:

Fantasy being built 1988-1989.jpg

Fantasy class funnel alborg.jpg

Edited by cjknox
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Carnival Corp. is getting rid of 13 ships

On a July 10 earnings call, Carnival Corp., which owns eight cruise lines, said its fleet of ships would be reduced by nearly 9%. Not saying which cruise line or which ships.

This is old news, two and a half weeks old.  We already know the majority of the ships being eliminated.

• Like 1