BTB Question - From one Cabin to Another

While mulling over the idea of doing a BTB next summer on JOS, just wondering about.... when we arrive back in AMS from the first cruise, we pack again. Do we leave the ship and leave our luggage on board prior to getting our new cabin? We've never done a BTB!

Wish we could book the same JS aft we already have on the second cruise, otherwise (I imagine) we would just stay put? I think, if we do the first cruise, we'll just get an inside cabin (or an OV).

They'll move everything that is on hangers in the closet.  Everything else needs to be in the luggage and they'll move it.

It's always nice seeing all that luggage in the hallways the night before and yours isn't out there.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most of the time they move your luggage for you but occasionally guests are required to move their own luggage between cabins. Rule #1 with Royal, nothing is absolute including the B2B process.

Keep checking, you never know if your JS might open up, then you could stay in place.

Thanks! Now, would we be able to get back off a bit in AMS before the next cruise? Just curious. And yes, Twangster, we will definitely keep checking because that aft JS is ideal!

Hello,

I'm afraid the abbreviation AMS is lost on me.

What you, as passengers, have to do at the port is different in America and Europe.

Your countrymen can tell you better than I what you have to do on your side of the pond, whereas if your destination is Europe then I can assist if required.

Regards,

Cublet

5 hours ago, johnjen said:

While mulling over the idea of doing a BTB next summer on JOS, just wondering about.... when we arrive back in AMS from the first cruise, we pack again. Do we leave the ship and leave our luggage on board prior to getting our new cabin? We've never done a BTB!

Depending on the number of b2b passengers:

* You may have a meeting before the end of your first cruise.

* You may get your new seapass card in your stateroom or be given to you by guest services.

* Your cabin steward will usually know you are b2b (you won't get the disembarkation tags)...let him/her know and they usually are happy to move all your stuff for you.

* Leave all your clothes in the hangers and pack all the loose stuff.  And don't forget to empty the safe.

* We usually plan on disembarking the ship early so we can enjoy a DIY at the port...you will be given your new seapass card and an "In Transit" card.  You'll be able to use your new seapass card and "In Transit" card and bypass all the lines (except the security line...of course).

* You may have a "special lunch" for b2b passengers...either in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. Very nice menu and if you are lucky, free wine.

Note: This was our experience before the pandemic...now this can change post pandemic.

4 hours ago, johnjen said:

Thanks! Now, would we be able to get back off a bit in AMS before the next cruise? Just curious. And yes, Twangster, we will definitely keep checking because that aft JS is ideal!

As mentioned above, the specifics can change from ship to ship and even sailing to sailing due to the way specific personnel handle it.  But generally, with a B2B, you want to make sure the cruise line is aware you are doing the B2B first.  They can indicate this in their records, so call and have it done in advance of your cruises if you haven't already.  Then once on board, a couple of days into the first cruise, go to the service desk and make sure they have it in the ship's system too.  Later in the first cruise, you will likely get a letter with specific instructions on what they want you to do related to the second cruise.  This may not get to you until the night before the first cruise ends, but usually it's a day earlier than that or so.  Check on it at the service desk if you haven't seen anything by the last afternoon of your cruise.

Usually, those staying on board for the B2B are asked to meet in a lounge somewhere early on the final morning of the cruise.  Then a crewmember will come get the group and take you to the exit where your old id cards are processed "off" the first cruise.  You will be given new cards for the second cruise (sometimes they deliver those the night before to your cabin).  If the local country requires any form of passport control or checks, they may do those on board or they may make you go off ship briefly as a group to process you. It varies.  If you wish to stay on the ship,  the crew will then process you "on" with the new cards.  Usually earlier than they start boarding new guests.  The crewmember will guide this entire process to make sure it goes smoothly.  If you wish to go ashore and explore, you have your new card and can do so.  When you return, just let them know you are a "through passenger" and they will show you how to skip the check-in process.  You may be given these instructions in your letter the night before.  I think when I did my B2B, they gave me a "through passenger" pass to hand them when I re-boarded.

As mentioned above, if you're switching cabins, speak to your first cabin steward about how they want to handle it.   You don't put your bags out in the hallways the night before with the disembarking passengers' bags.  Usually, they want you to put your belongings into your suitcase and leave it in the first cabin.  Put your luggage tags for the second cabin on the bags, so they are reminded where to take them.  They then take care of taking it to your second cabin while you are being processed off/on the ship.  It also never hurts to go find the room steward for the second cabin prior to the end of the first cruise and let them know you will be doing B2B.  This probably would get your cabin cleaned more quickly, but not necessarily.  Some stewards will also move the items you have on hangers without you having to pack them.  I chose to put everything back in my suitcase so that a shirt didn't fall off somewhere in the hallway between cabins and get lost.

All-in-all, it's a pretty easy (and fun) process.  I have a B2B booked for October 2021 on NCL in the Mediterranean with the switchover day being in Istanbul.  I was lucky enough to snag the same cabin for both legs.  I can't wait and I'm keeping my fingers crossed we are back to some form of normal by then.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

24 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

That reminds me...if you decide to stay onboard, you will have access to your new cabin...after it's been cleaned.

Depends.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Talk to your cabin attendant(s).  I've seen situations where if you stayed in the same cabin you could access it but if you were changing cabins you couldn't.  Given the pandemic some protocols might be changing long term so they might standardize on "all guests out of cabins for deep cleaning" but we won't know until cruising resumes. 

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Another B2B question... We have MDR on the first leg and purchased the UDP for the 14 night second leg.  Is it possible to make all our second leg dining reservations at the end of the first leg. Thanks..

Typically no, you have to wait until the start of the cruise you need reservations for but you can always ask.  Never say never.  

I've got my first B2B in January 2021 out of Galveston.  We'll be in the same cabin just to avoid packing/unpacking.  If we choose to get off the ship, I see the through passenger getting me back on, but can I get back on before boarding officially starts or I will have to wait for that.  In Galveston, boarding generally starts around 11 or 11:30am so if I want to get back on at say 10:30am, will I be allowed?  I would assume the seapass station has to be staffed to scan my card and don't know if employees are stationed there that long before official boarding starts.

32 minutes ago, dude_hdt said:

I've got my first B2B in January 2021 out of Galveston.  We'll be in the same cabin just to avoid packing/unpacking.  If we choose to get off the ship, I see the through passenger getting me back on, but can I get back on before boarding officially starts or I will have to wait for that.  In Galveston, boarding generally starts around 11 or 11:30am so if I want to get back on at say 10:30am, will I be allowed?  I would assume the seapass station has to be staffed to scan my card and don't know if employees are stationed there that long before official boarding starts.

Once a consecutive cruiser leaves the terminal to visit the area they effectively lose their ability to jump the boarding process upon their return.

If you are B2B and walk outside to start your car for 5 minutes then head back inside you'll get stuck waiting to board with all the new guests.  You have to go through terminal security like everyone else and from there you are in the general holding area like everyone else new to that cruise.  Your "in transit" card might put you near the front of the new cruisers but there generally isn't an option to slip through.   Not all ships even give out in-transit or consecutive cruiser cards.

Consecutive cruisers who are staying on board are kept in a secure area of the terminal to clear customs so they don't have to go through terminal security again.  They are often allowed back on even before the ship is ready for new guests.   To accomplish this there will be one security station working to clear B2B cruises back on the ship while the general boarding security folks might still be setting up and getting ready for the masses.

Like many things it varies so I'm not saying it has never happened but I would expect to wait until boarding of new guests has commenced.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Typically no, you have to wait until the start of the cruise you need reservations for but you can always ask.  Never say never.  

That was the answer I thought would be coming. We wanted to get off as early as possible for a day in Barcelona. Now I will wait until they reboard the turnarounds, make my reservations and then head out. I will still give it a try on the last day of the first leg.  Hopefully I can buy liquor the last night to keep for the following week. unless they plugged that loophole. happy cruising

14 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

That was the answer I thought would be coming. We wanted to get off as early as possible for a day in Barcelona. Now I will wait until they reboard the turnarounds, make my reservations and then head out. I will still give it a try on the last day of the first leg.  Hopefully I can buy liquor the last night to keep for the following week. unless they plugged that loophole. happy cruising

On our B2B on Oasis class ships, someone  has come to our waiting area ( when we are still on board) or to the pre turn around day meeting ( only had one held once) to schedule entertainment and sometimes specialty dining.  

Hope it works out for you. 
m

4 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Another B2B question... We have MDR on the first leg and purchased the UDP for the 14 night second leg.  Is it possible to make all our second leg dining reservations at the end of the first leg. Thanks..

19 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I have been able to make reservations at the end of Cruise A for Cruise B. YMMV

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

On our B2B on Oasis class ships, someone  has come to our waiting area ( when we are still on board) or to the pre turn around day meeting ( only had one held once) to schedule entertainment and sometimes specialty dining.  

Hope it works out for you. 
m

Glimmer of hope, we will be on Harmony 2021..happy cruising

8 hours ago, johnjen said:

It's an aft😱

Odds just changed drastically 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Once a consecutive cruiser leaves the terminal to visit the area they effectively lose their ability to jump the boarding process upon their return.

If you are B2B and walk outside to start your car for 5 minutes then head back inside you'll get stuck waiting to board with all the new guests.  You have to go through terminal security like everyone else and from there you are in the general holding area like everyone else new to that cruise.  Your "in transit" card might put you near the front of the new cruisers but there generally isn't an option to slip through.   Not all ships even give out in-transit or consecutive cruiser cards.

Consecutive cruisers who are staying on board are kept in a secure area of the terminal to clear customs so they don't have to go through terminal security again.  They are often allowed back on even before the ship is ready for new guests.   To accomplish this there will be one security station working to clear B2B cruises back on the ship while the general boarding security folks might still be setting up and getting ready for the masses.

Like many things it varies so I'm not saying it has never happened but I would expect to wait until boarding of new guests has commenced.

We did  a B2B once in Vancouver, we had  In transit cards and were allowed on and off the ship in the crew only line. Worked great for our day at Stanley Park and around downtown.

Edited by Jimbo

In addition to the above...remember even though the fire doors are shut to prevent new cruiser's from accessing their cabins before the cabins are ready announcement...those are actually unlocked...and you can slip in and out of them easily. We try to do so quickly and quietly so no one else assumes they are free to.

B2B's in the last few years have become a favorite for us and we have always managed to keep the same cabin...it makes things a lot easier. 

We're booked into the Odyssey of the Seas transatlantic in October 2021 and then in the next cruise after it (southern Caribbean). Sadly, different staterooms. Should I call them to let them know that I'm doing a B2B, or just wait 'till I'm in the first cruise and go to guest services?

3 hours ago, sergioag said:

Should I call them to let them know that I'm doing a B2B, or just wait 'till I'm in the first cruise and go to guest services?

Wait till on board,, TA to local sailing B2B may be a slightly different process so you'll want to get the latest on board.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1