Alternative Travel Plans???

luxecruisers

We just returned from a wonderful two week driving trip to South Carolina (1 week in Kiawah and 1 week in Myrtle Beach) where we had a lot of fun, enjoyed the warm sea, ate in our favorite restaurants (SC does allow indoor dining) and enjoyed a lot of quality beach time.  We were easily able to maintain social distancing, used masks when in the vicinity of others, and used common sense when choosing our restaurants.  We are planning another driving trip in September to visit some friends (who we would trust with our lives) and are thinking about some other longer driving trips in the Fall.  Normally we would have been on a long cruise (to Europe) in August and a longer cruise (28 days) in October from Europe to Asia.  We were also supposed to drive to Ontario in September (to meet friends for an annual wine tasting trip) which has been cancelled by the Canadians..

So, to answer your question we are in the process of planning several driving trips within the USA since that is currently the only reasonable travel option.   We choose to live our lives, use common sense and some science, and have fun.  We have no issues with those who remain in their basements or home (that is their decision) but that is not our style.  Life is too short to spend 1,2 or even 3 years cooped up while others argue over the best way to handle the current situation.  As to cruises, we have bookings in Dec, April and next Nov 2021 and will likely take those cruises if they happen and if they do not have restrictions that would take the fun out of cruising.  We are also prepared to fly to Europe for an extended driving trip if, and when, Europe opens up to Americans.

We do have some good friends who are literally afraid of their own shadows and continue to shelter at home with minimal local trips (mostly for food) as necessary.  Those folks tell us they are miserable but that is their own choice.  

Hank

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We just returned from a wonderful two week driving trip to South Carolina (1 week in Kiawah and 1 week in Myrtle Beach) where we had a lot of fun, enjoyed the warm sea, ate in our favorite restaurants (SC does allow indoor dining) and enjoyed a lot of quality beach time.  We were easily able to maintain social distancing, used masks when in the vicinity of others, and used common sense when choosing our restaurants.  We are planning another driving trip in September to visit some friends (who we would trust with our lives) and are thinking about some other longer driving trips in the Fall.  Normally we would have been on a long cruise (to Europe) in August and a longer cruise (28 days) in October from Europe to Asia.  We were also supposed to drive to Ontario in September (to meet friends for an annual wine tasting trip) which has been cancelled by the Canadians..

Thank you for such a thoughtful response. Loved hearing about your adventure!! 

Did you guys end up staying at vacation rentals or hotels? And did you have to deal with crowds at all? 

I ended up taking a short trip to Mount Shasta in California. And there were people all over the place - on the mountain, at the lake, in the forest, etc. I'm wondering if that's the norm nationwide due to summer, people going crazy, etc. 

55 minutes ago, luxecruisers said:

Thank you for such a thoughtful response. Loved hearing about your adventure!! 

Did you guys end up staying at vacation rentals or hotels? And did you have to deal with crowds at all? 

I ended up taking a short trip to Mount Shasta in California. And there were people all over the place - on the mountain, at the lake, in the forest, etc. I'm wondering if that's the norm nationwide due to summer, people going crazy, etc. 

We were very cautious.  In Kiawah we shared a large rental house with another family (friends for decades).  In Myrtle Beach we rented a 1 bedroom Condo in a 23 story building.  This was a classy place and had some terrific rules such as no more then 1 person or a family on an elevator.  We did use hotels for two nights (Hampton Inn and a nice Comfort Inn) coming and going to SC.  We felt very safe in the motels where they took lots of precautions.  

Kiawah SC is a gated island (famous for its golf courses and very long 10 mile beach) where social distancing is the norm...even before Covid.  We did have lots of concerns about going to Myrtle Beach (which has been called a hot zone) but this is a place we have visited for over thirty years.  Like most cities there are places we would avoid and there are also areas that are fine.  And therein lies the problem with our press who all push their own agendas.    The Miami, FL area is not one of the worst hot zones in our nation.  But we would have no problem visiting the Greater Miami area (we know it quite well) and would simply avoid the major overcrowded hotspots (such as South Beach).  While DW and I are generally comfortable going to decent restaurants (that follow the CDC guidelines) we would not visit crowded bars, clubs, etc.  While there are no guarantees we do think that intelligent travel (and lots of common sense) will mitigate most COVID risk.  

There are plenty of other places we would feel comfortable visiting.  For example, there are lots of fabulous spots in New England and up State New York.  New Jersey has some excellent beach towns where over crowding is not a big problem.  In fact, there are many fabulous places along the East Coast from Maine to Florida that apparently are not overly crowded.  But you will generally not see these places on national TV where they focus on the few crowded places where mostly younger folks flaunt common sense.    I should mention that on our long drive home we stopped for the night in Washington, DC so we could have dinner in a favorite French restaurant.  That restaurant was empty  (and very safe) because many folks are afraid to go out!  As a result the service and quality cooking we got was beyond amazing.   But we sadly noticed several area shops boarded-up as a result of recent "peaceful" demonstrations.  We are constantly amazed at how "peaceful" demonstrators (according to the media) feel it is their right to smash store windows and help themselves to merchandise like sneakers and clothes.  I am just an old fashioned guy who must have been taught the wrong definition for "peaceful."

Hank

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We were very cautious.  In Kiawah we shared a large rental house with another family (friends for decades).  In Myrtle Beach we rented a 1 bedroom Condo in a 23 story building.  This was a classy place and had some terrific rules such as no more then 1 person or a family on an elevator.  We did use hotels for two nights (Hampton Inn and a nice Comfort Inn) coming and going to SC.  We felt very safe in the motels where they took lots of precautions.  

Kiawah SC is a gated island (famous for its golf courses and very long 10 mile beach) where social distancing is the norm...even before Covid.  We did have lots of concerns about going to Myrtle Beach (which has been called a hot zone) but this is a place we have visited for over thirty years.  Like most cities there are places we would avoid and there are also areas that are fine.  And therein lies the problem with our press who all push their own agendas.    The Miami, FL area is not one of the worst hot zones in our nation.  But we would have no problem visiting the Greater Miami area (we know it quite well) and would simply avoid the major overcrowded hotspots (such as South Beach).  While DW and I are generally comfortable going to decent restaurants (that follow the CDC guidelines) we would not visit crowded bars, clubs, etc.  While there are no guarantees we do think that intelligent travel (and lots of common sense) will mitigate most COVID risk.  

There are plenty of other places we would feel comfortable visiting.  For example, there are lots of fabulous spots in New England and up State New York.  New Jersey has some excellent beach towns where over crowding is not a big problem.  In fact, there are many fabulous places along the East Coast from Maine to Florida that apparently are not overly crowded.  But you will generally not see these places on national TV where they focus on the few crowded places where mostly younger folks flaunt common sense.    I should mention that on our long drive home we stopped for the night in Washington, DC so we could have dinner in a favorite French restaurant.  That restaurant was empty  (and very safe) because many folks are afraid to go out!  As a result the service and quality cooking we got was beyond amazing.   But we sadly noticed several area shops boarded-up as a result of recent "peaceful" demonstrations.  We are constantly amazed at how "peaceful" demonstrators (according to the media) feel it is their right to smash store windows and help themselves to merchandise like sneakers and clothes.  I am just an old fashioned guy who must have been taught the wrong definition for "peaceful."

Hank

Protesters do not loot.Those who loot just use the protests as an excuse to commit crimes.It has been like this going back as far as I can recall.

• Like 5

We just arrived today at an airbnb in far NW Oregon. Very close to the coast (minutes?). Ten acres of land on a river and two streams. House is perfect. Dinner was BLTs with heirloom tomato. Hairy Red Dog has never seen so much land. "He ran and he ran all over the land."

• Like 2

I wouldn't say it is really alternative travel plans.  Instead maybe  just more of what we normally do between international trips. Namely, dragging the boat to various lakes on my go-to list and stocking the fridge with rainbow trout.   🙂

12 minutes ago, clo said:

We just arrived today at an airbnb in far NW Oregon. Very close to the coast (minutes?). Ten acres of land on a river and two streams. House is perfect. Dinner was BLTs with heirloom tomato. Hairy Red Dog has never seen so much land. "He ran and he ran all over the land."

Hi Clo, Your Oregon rental sounds wonderful!  I booked a VRBO cottage in the Point Reyes National Seashore (CA) area for August, but expect it will be canceled.  I'm still hoping, but Marin County keeps postponing allowing hotels and shared rentals to operate. If you care to, please share more about your stay in NW Oregon. Maybe it's an option for me someday?

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Kiawah SC is a gated island (famous for its golf courses and very long 10 mile beach) where social distancing is the norm...even before Covid.  

Going to research Kiawah! 

I've never really explored the South except Hilton Head and Asheville. Would be amazing to explore more since I love Southern food. 

Thank you!

8 hours ago, clo said:

Hi Clo, 

This sounds like just my speed - "ten acres of land on a river and two streams." Would you care to share the AirBNB listing? 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

I wouldn't say it is really alternative travel plans.  Instead maybe  just more of what we normally do between international trips. Namely, dragging the boat to various lakes on my go-to list and stocking the fridge with rainbow trout.   🙂

Nice! What lakes are on your go-to list? 

I just told our suitcases that we aren't going on vacation this year. Now I have emotional baggage.

We were going to Germany in October but the flights got cancelled, so it looks like we'll only be camping locally (going for the week starting Saturday).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Short answer, OP, is, "No."  I guess there has been a joke going around that the trash gets out more often than I do.

The XBGuys have stayed at home since March.  Mrs. XBGuy is asthmatic.  To say the least, there is a very good chance that COVID-19 could kill her.  We have not been miserable, at all, and have, actually, enjoyed the experience.  She has become quite adept at ordering groceries from two different on-line services.  As a result, I have been enjoying some outstanding dinners, lately.  It has given me reason to go a bit deeper into the wine cellar that I might normally do for, say, a Tuesday evening.   The other thing is that we are spending a lot less than normal.  For one thing, we own two cars, and since March I have filled the tank of each of the cars only once.  Having a bit more of a cushion in the checking account has freed me up to spend a bit more for new releases from favorite wineries.  😁

Not surprisingly, the one cruise we've had on the books for this coming December was cancelled, last week.  That was, certainly, not unexpected.  I do look forward to taking our next cruise, but we will not be in the vanguard of returning cruisers.

1 minute ago, XBGuy said:

Short answer, OP, is, "No."  I guess there has been a joke going around that the trash gets out more often than I do.

The XBGuys have stayed at home since March.  Mrs. XBGuy is asthmatic.  To say the least, there is a very good chance that COVID-19 could kill her.  We have not been miserable, at all, and have, actually, enjoyed the experience.  She has become quite adept at ordering groceries from two different on-line services.  As a result, I have been enjoying some outstanding dinners, lately.  It has given me reason to go a bit deeper into the wine cellar that I might normally do for, say, a Tuesday evening.   The other thing is that we are spending a lot less than normal.  For one thing, we own two cars, and since March I have filled the tank of each of the cars only once.  Having a bit more of a cushion in the checking account has freed me up to spend a bit more for new releases from favorite wineries.  😁

Not surprisingly, the one cruise we've had on the books for this coming December was cancelled, last week.  That was, certainly, not unexpected.  I do look forward to taking our next cruise, but we will not be in the vanguard of returning cruisers.

Mrs.66 is also asthmatic and I have more medical issues that I can count.Therefore we are not going anywhere.We also order from online services.

6 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I'm loving the time at home, but I'm dying to play in the water daily ... Thought we would resume cruising in the beginning of 2021, but I'm not feeling so certain anymore. 

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

The last time I had a boat it was in my bathtub.😀

• Haha 1

We’ve considered taking a domestic trip and if we did we would stay in VRBOs rather than hotels to reduce risk of being around so many people.  We’ve decided not to do that so far because we are happIly enjoying our FL house and would rather be here than anywhere we can drive to in one day.  We do have plans to go to our TN house later this year and have been there for a couple weeks stay since Covid began.  We’ve also done day trips to see family.  We aren’t eating in restaurants but have done take out once a week for the last 3 weeks, which is one reason why we would stay in a VRBO if we traveled....so we can cook.  We are lucky that we have friends in our neighborhood that meet outdoors several times a week to talk and have a few drinks and we are less than 10 minutes from the beach where we have no problems social distancing  since we are in a small town.  If we get bored with both houses we will take a VRBO trip.

We rented a motor home and drove out to ND to visit DS and sight see at Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  Came home and booked a cruise in October 2021 to replace our Carnival Mardi Gras cruise that just got cancelled for December and another one for February 2022 on NCL Encore to use our Cruise Next certificates that expire in October 2022.  No other vacations are currently planned.  We were lucky enough to sneak a trip to Las Vegas in at the end of February right before everything shut down.

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

For one thing, we own two cars, and since March I have filled the tank of each of the cars only once. 

Have you been getting money back from your insurance company? We have.