Empress of The Seas

4 hours ago, coaster said:

Healthy sail recommendation #66 below is going to be tough on Empress. It currently have quad cabins for crew. You are talking about a huge increase in converting passenger cabins to accommodate crew if the single occupancy crew cabin recommendation is enacted.

66  - Crew should be placed in single-occupancy crew cabins whenever possible to minimize extended periods of close contact with other crew members.

Yes, that would be difficult on the Empress; less so if there is reduced passenger capacity.  Here is the entire verbiage from the report on recommendation #66:

"An important way to protect crew members from potential exposure to COVID-19 is to place crew in single-occupancy crew rooms whenever possible to minimize close contact time with other crew members. As ships begin sailing at reduced capacity, this should be easier for cruise operators to accomplish. As the number of guests on board increases, so too will the quantity of crew required, and double rooming may be necessary. While the Panel’s understanding is that it is quite uncommon on modern cruise ships to have large crew bunk rooms (i.e., four or more individuals), the Panel strongly recommends against such arrangements, since they would substantially increase the risk of exposing crew to SARS-CoV-2. Additionally, as noted in the air management recommendations, filtration and other HVAC strategies are important across all areas of the ship, including in crew-specific common areas and cabins."

Good question!  Royal brought the Empress back specifically for this purpose.  I do not think any other Royal ship will fit in that harbor/dock.

My guess is that there is no rush to scrap/sell her (even though there is an on-going conversation about just that on CC) as long as the financial situation remains the same.  If cruising gets continually delayed due to COVID then all bets are off.

20 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Just a thought--If there is a new President and he restores Cuba relationship, with a resumption of cruising to Cuba, how does that change prospects for Empress?

So maybe we'll know the fate of Empress shortly after election day 🤔

Would Love to sail to Cuba on Empress again!

Intersting article about the RCI owned Pullmantur looking to restart operations...and it hints that Empress and Majesty are in the area for a reason!!!  

https://www.cruisecapital.co.uk/pullmantur-is-looking-to-restart-cruise-operations/?fbclid=IwAR0iFZiolYOfbYTdmUmo4pp4A1TA-q5_JUxTpha5-KOKlL51HQiyOSKb2u0

41 minutes ago, Blue Eyed Belfast Belle said:

Intersting article about the RCI owned Pullmantur looking to restart operations...and it hints that Empress and Majesty are in the area for a reason!!!  

https://www.cruisecapital.co.uk/pullmantur-is-looking-to-restart-cruise-operations/?fbclid=IwAR0iFZiolYOfbYTdmUmo4pp4A1TA-q5_JUxTpha5-KOKlL51HQiyOSKb2u0

Interesting...one thing I don't get is they scrapped Monarch which is a year younger than Empress?? Doesn't make sense. 

In other news, the "chat" icon now appears in the Royal app for Empress for a November cruise.

1219867873_Empresschat.thumb.jpg.f2fb29edc7c5be7d97f5d83b4d0a2079.jpg

Historically this experimental feature was only available on Allure and Harmony. 

It doesn't work unless you are on the ship so there is no way to know if this is a glitch or a sign that this promised feature is soon to arrive across the fleet including Empress.  

44 minutes ago, twangster said:

In other news, the "chat" icon now appears in the Royal app for Empress for a November cruise.

Historically this experimental feature was only available on Allure and Harmony. 

It doesn't work unless you are on the ship so there is no way to know if this is a glitch or a sign that this promised feature is soon to arrive across the fleet including Empress.   

It will work on Empress if there is an Empress for it to work on.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, twangster said:

Some more questions. I don't own a smart phone, but DD,DGD do.  We will be on Allure in 2022.  Does chat feature mean that they can chat/text aboard ship?  If Empress is scrapped, will Majesty do some of her itineraries?

28 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Some more questions. I don't own a smart phone, but DD,DGD do.  We will be on Allure in 2022.  Does chat feature mean that they can chat/text aboard ship?  If Empress is scrapped, will Majesty do some of her itineraries?

Prior to the shutdown Allure did feature chat functionality in the Royal app on an experimental basis.  It's assumed that will continue into the future.

I have no insight on Empress or Majesty beyond the speculation here on Cruise Critic.  Everyone's guess is as valid as the next.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

Prior to the shutdown Allure did feature chat functionality in the Royal app on an experimental basis.  It's assumed that will continue into the future.

I have no insight on Empress or Majesty beyond the speculation here on Cruise Critic.  Everyone's guess is as valid as the next.

Thanks

2 hours ago, twangster said:

It is showing on other ships as well like Anthem & Oasis.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

It is showing on other ships as well like Anthem & Oasis.

Indeed which is a hopeful sign.  Or it could just be they are using some crew remaining on board to test it on ships during this pause and they'll shut it off when cruising restarts.  

I've been trying to figure out how one could argue this helps towards a contactless or contact reduced restart.  

If nothing else "free onboard chat" is a nice way to generate some interest and goodwill once cruising resumes.  Personally I'd like to see them open up iMessage, Messenger and WhatsApp like some U.S. airlines have done for free.  That would give people comfort knowing they can reach loved ones back home at all times without having to pay $$$$$ for it.  That would truly set them apart and the bandwidth used by texting characters is miniscule. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, twangster said:

I guess it is implemented for a more agile communication with/for the Turkish beaching pilot?

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, twangster said:

Indeed which is a hopeful sign.  Or it could just be they are using some crew remaining on board to test it on ships during this pause and they'll shut it off when cruising restarts.

Maybe it means that they've rehired the IT people who were laid off.

1 hour ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Are Empress and Majesty the only two Royal ships that can dock in Havana?

As far as I know those are the only 2 RCI ships that ever docked there -- (Empress out of Miami and Majesty out of Tampa and P.E.) for the short time the sailings were allowed (2016-2019).  Maybe some Vision class ships could have docked there but they never went.  Empress was going to the port of Cienfuegos, Cuba as well -- don't know if Majesty was going there as well. 

• Like 1