Empress of The Seas

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The two X ships (Pullmantur Horizon which is supposed to be going to the scrappers is also in the area) have been south of Athens for months. No other RCI ships have been in the area.

I didn't realize that the Infinity and the Constellation were also in the area.  Unless they are there to transport crew from the region when a restart occurs, it doesn't look good for those 4 ships.  I wonder how many ships can be beached at one time.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Both ships were used to take crew off Monarch and Sovereign just before their beachings. 

Perhaps we should watch to see if the Empress rendezvous with either the Infinity or the Constellation.  that would certainly be a bad sign for the Empress.

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Perhaps we should watch to see if the Empress rendezvous with either the Infinity or the Constellation.  that would certainly be a bad sign for the Empress.

Before any of that we'd probably have to see reports of stuff being taken off the ship - I don't think Empress has had any docking more than a couple of days in the recent past. All 3 RCG ships which are being scrapped spent at least a week docked while they took stuff off.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Before any of that we'd probably have to see reports of stuff being taken off the ship - I don't think Empress has had any docking more than a couple of days in the recent past. All 3 RCG ships which are being scrapped spent at least a week docked while they took stuff off.

Do you think they could have done that in Southampton?  Maybe they have been collecting stuff while they have been on their leisurely sail and the only needed a few hours to off load the stuff in Malta or perhaps their next port.

9 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Do you think they could have done that in Southampton? 

While anything is possible, considering how much time the other three ships spent docked before their beaching and I didn't see that with Empress in the past 2+ months, I don't think she's headed to Aliaga just yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

The company responded to the question in the Royal Caribbean blog "Empress is not headed to the scrap yard." I am new to the cruising community but do y'all think they would say that then turn around the scrap it?

Of course they are going to say that.  They are not going to announce major plans like that based on an impromptu question.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

While anything is possible, considering how much time the other three ships spent docked before their beaching and I didn't see that with Empress in the past 2+ months, I don't think she's headed to Aliaga just yet.

Do you think RCI might wait until after the election to make a decision about Empress - in case there’s a change of command?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

Do you think RCI might wait until after the election to make a decision about Empress - in case there’s a change of command?  

You mean if Cuba sailings are permitted again and Empress is able to sail her former itinerary?  There are other ships that can dock at the Port of Havana.  Don't think she's that essential.  Having only 75 balcony suites (no regular balcony cabins) and the rest ocean view or inside cabins, presents a problem in today's environment.  Also, her age -- the oldest in the fleet, weighs heavily against her.  As they say she's "seen better days"...

27 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

RCG has more important worries than any single ship or the occupant of White House.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyIL said:

Cuba sailings weren’t that popular. There were some pretty low prices On those Cuba sailings before the ban. 

25 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Cuba sailings weren’t that popular. There were some pretty low prices On those Cuba sailings before the ban. 

At the beginning the Cuba sailings were a big money maker but as time went by and the novelty wore off, they were heavily discounted. You're right, right before the ban the prices went way down.  

Cuba is an unknown even if there is a change in administration.  A new administration MIGHT reopen Cuba, but if so, when?  Probably not during a pandemic and without a pandemic they could take a year or more to mull over Cuba.  

Once bitten, twice shy.  If I were a cruise line I'd want to think hard and make sure if Cuba reopens it stays open.  Another round of bookings only to be cancelled at a whim by a different administration is a risk.  

It could be 3 or 4 years before a return to Cuba happens (or not) and if there isn't a change on Pennsylvania Avenue there won't be for 4 more + years.  

22 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

I have heard two different reasons why ship size is a concern in Havanna. One being hight and the other being draught, which one is correct?

Given how far Empress hung out past the pier it's impressive that Majesty got in there.  Here is a picture from the aft of Empress.

Empress%20Day%203%20Cuba-1-22.jpg

At some point I imagine a ship is too long to be tied up and have that much hanging out unsupported.  I don't know what that magic number is but Majesty and similar small ships from other lines did it.  

44 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

I have heard two different reasons why ship size is a concern in Havana. One being height and the other being draught, which one is correct?

I don't think there are height issues in Havana, Vision class is about the biggest ship that can dock there. VV's Scarlet Lady was slated to go there before the ban -she's just over 900ft long and has draught of 26.5 ft.

Edited by Biker19

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

Havana has a tunnel under the harbor,  so its draught is my understanding. 9.75 meters is the limit

Far from actual nautical charts but these screen shots don't seem to indicate the tunnel is the limiting factor.

Screenshot_20200810-102023_C-MAP.thumb.JPG.32ea28cbe36070a3979cba9d9f4f8a7a.JPG

Screenshot_20200810-102132_C-MAP.thumb.JPG.76c4dd6b2bc510f87b56a06b88ea3393.JPG

The bottom near the cruise terminals does appear to be a factor.

Screenshot_20200810-102108_C-MAP.thumb.JPG.a052ff426f6336ebfda2b8a254f1f2ea.JPG

Don't know if dredging is an option.  If you remove too much bottom the piers may not be stable if their foundations aren't set deep enough.  Old buildings and foundations so it might be a lot of work.  

There was a company hired to expand port capabilities and allow larger ships but that was years in the making before the ban.   I'm guessing that didn't involve replacing the tunnel or the harbor and channel in general isn't the problem. 

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

From the investors call, Royal is incurring costs to reposition ships to various locations so they can be laid up in their designated state.  The goal is to further reduce monthly operating expenses to keep the ships in the fleet until cruising can resume.  Restarting won't be a light switch for all ships, some will remain in storage until they need them.

It's possible ship movements are occurring to this goal - finding a home to place the ship in some form of storage, cold or warm based on the ship and the anticipated return to service for that ship.

They announced no plans to eliminate additional ships beyond Pullmantur on the call.

• Like 2

Where is the ship?
Passenger Ship EMPRESS OF THE SEAS is currently located at EMED - East Mediterranean at position 35° 47' 57.048" N, 21° 31' 31.404" E as reported by MarineTraffic Terrestrial Automatic Identification System on 2020-08-10 15:39 UTC (3 hours, 59 minutes ago)
The wind in this area at that time blows from Northwest direction at force 3 Beaufort.

Where is this vessel going to?
The vessel departed from VALLETTA, MT on 2020-08-09 15:16 LT (UTC +2) and is currently sailing at 13.2 knots with East direction heading to HERACLIO, GR with reported Estimated Time of Arrival at 2020-08-11 11:00 LT (UTC +2) local time (in 13 hours, 20 minutes )

Empress is headed to Greece as of this moment ,