Very cautious but desperate to cruise

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

A few days ago 2 guys entered a Trader Joe’s in Manhattan without wearing masks.A store employee told them they would have to leave the store.The approached the employee and pulled off his mask.

That doesn't speak well of Manhattan 

10 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

Went to restaurant for the first time today (Michigan ), tables were spread apart and wait staff wore masks but I just didn’t enjoy the experience. I can’t imagine going on a cruise anytime soon but if there’s an effective vaccine then maybe we won’t lose our lift and shift deposit for November 2021.

We're in Northern Michigan.  Abandoned the fear in late April.  Have been dining out 1-2 times per week both indoors and out.  Wearing masks indoors as required.

As for cruising, from the US it's over for a long time.  If it goes into mid-2021 some of the lines may crash and burn.  It will be interesting to see what rises from the ashes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

What are the advantages of a salt water pool compared to city water?

A lot of people here have converted their chlorinated pools to salt. They claim it's less maintenance, less expensive and better for the skin.

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

2 guys out of millions isn't too bad. My son sent me a picture of a man standing outside his midtown Manhattan branch with his pants and underwear around his ankles but he was wearing a mask. He said at least the pandemic got rid of the couple who were having sex daily in front of the bank. Typical day in Manhattan.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Most cities in the US are in the 90s every day and mask compliance is not an issue. Even in New York. No different than being in Nassau. We’ve spent the whole day with masks in the low 100s and hardly noticed it. 

So everyone else should be able to be just as oblivious to it as you are?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

We're in Northern Michigan.  Abandoned the fear in late April.  Have been dining out 1-2 times per week both indoors and out.  Wearing masks indoors as required.

As for cruising, from the US it's over for a long time.  If it goes into mid-2021 some of the lines may crash and burn.  It will be interesting to see what rises from the ashes.

And that is exactly why I feel people who are making new bookings for the future are crazy. The crowd who kept thinking back in March that cruising would start back quickly has pretty much disappeared and most have accepted that ships are not sailing in 2020. But there are many here who still believe that the future bookings they are making now for next year will happen exactly as planned.   If cruising isn't back to somewhat normal by the middle of next year, then who knows what ships will still be sailing and where they will go?  I think some people are still in denial.  It's a risky gamble with my money that I'm not willing to take.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

💰💰💰

Money over safety.  

St Maarten just opened to flights from America. 1 from NYC, 1 from NC, and 2 from Florida, being FLL and MIA. 350 passengers and they only tested a portion of the arriving guests.  The French side has closed in preparation for what they think is inevitable. Supposedly Netherlands has also raised the caution level for those travelling to St Maarten.

I think by the time the cruise ships get to sail, many islands will be in one of two situations.  Either they will welcome guests with open arms because the guests are vaccinated or they will have so many restrictions the ships won’t port. I guess there could be a third option, after years of no cruising Covid has eventually wained to the point it is no longer a concern.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

2 guys out of millions isn't too bad. My son sent me a picture of a man standing outside his midtown Manhattan branch with his pants and underwear around his ankles but he was wearing a mask. He said at least the pandemic got rid of the couple who were having sex daily in front of the bank. Typical day in Manhattan.

More examples of why I love that city.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

There is a free show everyday.

Exactly. People talk about how expensive it is to go there. Mostly I only need to take a walk and I get all the free entertainment that I could want.☺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Unfortunately these type of people are all over our country not just Manhattan.   2 shore towns on LBI are dealing with over 2 dozen lifeguards now with covid after they had a large house party middle of july.   It is this attitude that is not helping.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I've got a cruise booked in January, after two cancelled ones, and really hope it sails. I wear masks to the store and have only been to the store, my office, and a relative's house in the past four months.

I can wait it out until there is a vaccine, the virus has run its course, or there is a successful treatment. 

Ditto, Jan. 15th is our next rescheduled cruise.  I will do anything and everything to get on a ship, we've been building new home, need a break, and haven't cruised since Sept. 2019.  I'm banking on a vaccine and will beg to be the first to test it out if necessary!  I recently saw a you tube vid from one of my followings, lady who sails and circumnavigates the world with her husband on their boat Brick House...she just lost her husband to Covid while they were in South Africa.  Shocking story, they both got it but she recovered easily.  He was older, but no underlying conditions.  I have a couple of conditions and to tell you the truth, it scared me a bit.  But if I can get vaccinated, I'm jumping on our cruise!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

More examples of why I love that city.

Been there done that and that was back in 1977, promised myself I'd never go again, you couldn't drag me there in chains...different strokes for different folks....

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Most cities in the US are in the 90s every day and mask compliance is not an issue. Even in New York. No different than being in Nassau. We’ve spent the whole day with masks in the low 100s and hardly noticed it. 

"Most" cities in the 90's in NOT TRUE.  And to say one can spend a whole day with a mask in the 100's and hardly notice it is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mek said:

And that is exactly why I feel people who are making new bookings for the future are crazy. The crowd who kept thinking back in March that cruising would start back quickly has pretty much disappeared and most have accepted that ships are not sailing in 2020. But there are many here who still believe that the future bookings they are making now for next year will happen exactly as planned.   If cruising isn't back to somewhat normal by the middle of next year, then who knows what ships will still be sailing and where they will go?  I think some people are still in denial.  It's a risky gamble with my money that I'm not willing to take.

Firstly, who cares when they start up....I'll gladly spend a couple hundred bucks, no skin off my nose, to book and hope for the best...already cxd and rescheduled 3 cruises since March, all I have to do is wait. We just shifted the deposit around so no money involved. Not a problem for me.  And the cruise coming up in January can be moved again...so what!  The real kicker is our daughter's wedding January 1st in Honolulu...she lives there and says they are still planning on doing it whilst the governor says all incoming peeps have a 14 day quarantine!  We can't handle that, so looking at canceling our AirB&B and flight, but we'll wait until November to do so.  Always been a half full make lemonade kinda gal though....will wait and keep praying...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

...I can't be sure that my fellow cruisers who don't wash their hand after using the toilet will comply to other precautions.

I have near 100% confidence that those people will NOT be adequately complying. Even if they did wear a mask they are not going to make the effort to use it properly. The risk of being quarantined on a ship a la Diamond Princess until I’m actually infected is not worth it IMO. After nearly a hundred cruises it will be a long time (if ever) that I’ll be back on a cruise ship. An added advantage is not having to wonder when OR IF I’ll finally get refunded from yet another cancelled cruise. 

14 hours ago, ECCruise said:

We hear about it. From our friends on the front lines in restaurants, breweries and hotels. 

We don't watch TV. 

I will repeat. YMMV. 

Do you think you're the only one who knows people who work in and manage restaurants, etc?  You'd be wrong.  We have a friend who manages a restaurant and they are a small local chain of three nice restaurants and they haven't had a single person refuse to wear a mask.  We also have a friend who owns a winery, again, no issues.  The random stories on tv are just that, random.

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Do you think you're the only one who knows people who work in and manage restaurants, etc?  You'd be wrong.  We have a friend who manages a restaurant and they are a small local chain of three nice restaurants and they haven't had a single person refuse to wear a mask.  We also have a friend who owns a winery, again, no issues.  The random stories on tv are just that, random.

Got better things to do than argue with you. Bye. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

"Most" cities in the 90's in NOT TRUE.  And to say one can spend a whole day with a mask in the 100's and hardly notice it is beyond ridiculous.

They probably should have said most populated, large cities.  The entire east coast up through NY has been in the 90's as has a lot of the west coast and the south.  A lot of places hit 100-105 in the last couple of weeks also yet people still went about their lives wearing masks.  We just spent a week at the beach where it was in the 90's everyday and humid and guess what? And here at home it's been in the mid-upper 90's for almost all of July and very humid  We survived wearing masks where required.   

45 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

A lot of people here have converted their chlorinated pools to salt. They claim it's less maintenance, less expensive and better for the skin.

It IS city water, with salt in it.  The way a salt water generator works is to add a couple sacks of the salt and the machine makes natural chlorine from the salt molecules....but you use city water to make the salt water.  We've had one for years and it cannot be beat.  Our expenses for chlorine on a chlorinator was around $500 per year...with a salt water generator, only $50 or so a year.  You have to add salt occasionally with heavy rains.  We would never own a pool without it.  Practically carefree...never any green water or algae. And yes, your skin/hair feels great.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2