Very cautious but desperate to cruise

16 hours ago, BND said:

We eat out at least once per week, usually outside, but I have yet to see anyone refuse to wear a mask.  We also spent a week in OC MD a couple of weeks ago where again, we ate out, both inside and out and never saw anyone refuse to wear a mask.  The people refusing are the exceptions to the rule.  I've said all along that proof of a vaccine will be required to cruise until there is herd immunity and I've been told I'm wrong by a couple of people.  I still believe it will be that way.

I tend to agree with you, but I think we'll have many good ones by November...certainly hope so, cannot imagine never cruising again.

13 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

It IS city water, with salt in it.  The way a salt water generator works is to add a couple sacks of the salt and the machine makes natural chlorine from the salt molecules....but you use city water to make the salt water.  We've had one for years and it cannot be beat.  Our expenses for chlorine on a chlorinator was around $500 per year...with a salt water generator, only $50 or so a year.  You have to add salt occasionally with heavy rains.  We would never own a pool without it.  Practically carefree...never any green water or algae. And yes, your skin/hair feels great.

I had a salt generator for many years and it was great until the electrodes corroded and the plastic tub cracked open leaking salt water onto my lawn and killing it. It was low maintenance but nothing lasts forever without a major expense. Also I had trouble finding parts for it. Pool supply store wanted to convert it to chlorine.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

A lot of people here have converted their chlorinated pools to salt. They claim it's less maintenance, less expensive and better for the skin.

Salt water pools still have chlorine. I have had a salt water pool at the last three houses we have owned.  A salt water pool generates chlorine from salt so you don’t have to manually add chlorine to the pool. It is definitely much easier to maintain a salt water pool. I would never get any other kind of pool unless something better comes along in the future. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, budmeister said:

If you are a 100% mask wearing, only go to work groceries, and appointments, and wash/sanitize your hands a million or so times a day person, what would it take for you to cruise? I am that person, but I am so desperate  to get back on a ship!   I am thinking masks and face shields in airports, and no airport restaurants. I am struggling with what cruise safety procedures I think would make me feel that we could go. What do you think?

I miss it like crazy, but am realistic about what we are facing right now.  It's not going to happen until the virus has worked through our population and has nowhere else to go OR we get vaccines.  There is no flipping way cruises will happen until either of this happens - sad but true.   For me, I wouldn't get on a ship until this is thing runs its course.  Even if we figure out a more calculated way to live with Rona it won't be realistic to cruise.  Two major issues IMO -  

1.) They can't stop the virus from getting on board - face masks, social distancing etc etc is great but the virus will still get on board.  Sure, you can test negative embarking, but a few days into the cruise people could test positive.  The same scene would play out again from March - a bunch of ships sitting off the coast with sick pax.  Logistical nightmare to get people tested and off the ship.  If you think CDC/immigration officials are just going to let us waltz off a ship after someone tests positive on board you are WRONG!

2.) I don't believe the islands are ready to accept pax - they are desperate to get their economies going again but also slightly terrified of an outbreak.  They don't have the infrastructure to deal with outbreaks on their islands.  

Unfortunately these are the times we live in.  Hope people going forward are more appreciative of normalcy and stop sweating the small stuff once this is done.  Very easy to take things for granted when life is normal!  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I had a salt generator for many years and it was great until the electrodes corroded and the plastic tub cracked open leaking salt water onto my lawn and killing it. It was low maintenance but nothing lasts forever without a major expense. Also I had trouble finding parts for it. Pool supply store wanted to convert it to chlorine.

So they could sell you more chlorine and other chemicals.  We have had 3 over a 15 yr span.  And the last one we replaced parts, etc.  Still....love the water!

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

So they could sell you more chlorine and other chemicals.  We have had 3 over a 15 yr span.  And the last one we replaced parts, etc.  Still....love the water!

At the end I had decided that the costs of the salt water generator outweighed the benefits, especially after I had to re-sod my lawn. The initial cost was higher, and the repair costs were higher than chlorine. In addition, I was working longer hours and traveling more often and not able to tend to the system myself. So having a weekly pool service take care of it was the better option for me. But it was great while it lasted.

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

"Most" cities in the 90's in NOT TRUE.  And to say one can spend a whole day with a mask in the 100's and hardly notice it is beyond ridiculous.

We live in Arizona and the temperatures been in the mid to high 110s, and the lows above 90. We haven't spent days, but several hours, and can say the mask haven't been a major issue. Like they say, it's a dry heat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Salt water pools still have chlorine. I have had a salt water pool at the last three houses we have owned.  A salt water pool generates chlorine from salt so you don’t have to manually add chlorine to the pool. It is definitely much easier to maintain a salt water pool. I would never get any other kind of pool unless something better comes along in the future. 

Amazes me when people say it is chemical free .  Pretty much everything has a chemical formula.  I believe it is a hypochlorite that is generated by electrolysis of sodium chloride. Chlorine is a gas.  

I asked my  husband how the pH of the water is adjusted . You have to add an acid or what ?  

We had a pool guy come over every week . The simplest pool maintenance ever . 

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

It IS city water, with salt in it.  The way a salt water generator works is to add a couple sacks of the salt and the machine makes natural chlorine from the salt molecules....but you use city water to make the salt water.  We've had one for years and it cannot be beat.  Our expenses for chlorine on a chlorinator was around $500 per year...with a salt water generator, only $50 or so a year.  You have to add salt occasionally with heavy rains.  We would never own a pool without it.  Practically carefree...never any green water or algae. And yes, your skin/hair feels great.

Our Salt Water Generator has failed twice in the past 5 years. They are not cheap. The lawn guys also cut the cord and replaced it. 

M8

22 hours ago, budmeister said:

..... I am struggling with what cruise safety procedures I think would make me feel that we could go. What do you think?

As we've seen in the past few days, several ships, despite safety procedures, have had positive cases onboard when restarting.  Until there is a vaccine, no matter how careful in following safety procedures, there will be positive cases -- this includes everywhere not just ships.  Personally I don't think a cruise would be all that attractive to me with all the added procedures.  While I'm eager to cruise again soon, I could wait a few years until we have a clearer picture of what it will be like. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Been there done that and that was back in 1977, promised myself I'd never go again, you couldn't drag me there in chains...

People wrapped in chains are rarely part of the free shows, unless there is a specific parade in town that day. 😈

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Our Salt Water Generator has failed twice in the past 5 years. They are not cheap. The lawn guys also cut the cord and replaced it. 

M8

This is the type Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, I use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal-Clear-Saltwater-System-for-Above-Ground-Pools-up-to-15-000-Gallons/173381946

Usually cost is about $125 for a 15,000 gallon unit, that usually last from 3 years to 5 years before having to buy another one.......divide that by 4, comes out to about $35.00 a year, plus  3 to 4 ... 50 lbs  of salt at $6.00 a bag..........Total cost per year for my 15,000 gallon 24' x 52" Above Ground Pool is $59.00.................I put no other chemicals in the pool the entire year and have crystal clear water for the 6 months of swimming season.

I believe the cost of these units are higher this year because of Covid 19 and everyone buying pools, I see a good price I buy 2 at a time for a back up, even found a way on You Tube to extend the life of them. So the 2 I have now should last the next 10 years, $250 investment for 10 years, not bad at all

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

Amazes me when people say it is chemical free .  Pretty much everything has a chemical formula.  I believe it is a hypochlorite that is generated by electrolysis of sodium chloride. Chlorine is a gas.  

I asked my  husband how the pH of the water is adjusted . You have to add an acid or what ?  

We had a pool guy come over every week . The simplest pool maintenance ever . 

As I recall acid is needed to reduce the pH and also it feeds the reaction in the generator, so the amount of acid determines the amount of chlorine generated. To some extent it is self-balancing if the system is working properly and the pool water is stable. It still needs to be shocked if the pool is being used heavily or if it rains a lot like it does in Florida.

5 hours ago, BND said:

They probably should have said most populated, large cities.  The entire east coast up through NY has been in the 90's as has a lot of the west coast and the south.  A lot of places hit 100-105 in the last couple of weeks also yet people still went about their lives wearing masks.  We just spent a week at the beach where it was in the 90's everyday and humid and guess what? And here at home it's been in the mid-upper 90's for almost all of July and very humid  We survived wearing masks where required.   

It has been hot and humid here as well, the 90/100F with humidity.  

Wearing a mask to do what needs to be done is different for me than wearing a mask to go on a holiday. I would not spend substantial, let alone any, money to go away and wear a mask. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, bouhunter said:

"Most" cities in the 90's in NOT TRUE.  And to say one can spend a whole day with a mask in the 100's and hardly notice it is beyond ridiculous.

No kidding.  It's in the 80s (although is usually much hotter) today where I live, but the humidity makes it feel much hotter.  I went to Target today and even in the air conditioning breathing through the mask was not comfortable after awhile.  Then after exiting the store and walking to my car, that was enough and I removed it.  It was too hot and humid to wear outside.  More power to people who aren't bothered by masks in the heat and humidity.  That doesn't mean everyone should be expected to like it too. I can't imagine spending a cruise where wearing a mask all of the time is required.

On the topic of pools, I love our salt water pool and would never go back to chlorine.

Edited by TNcruising02

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

As I recall acid is needed to reduce the pH and also it feeds the reaction in the generator, so the amount of acid determines the amount of chlorine generated. To some extent it is self-balancing if the system is working properly and the pool water is stable. It still needs to be shocked if the pool is being used heavily or if it rains a lot like it does in Florida.

Never had to put acid into our pool.  Just conditioner at startup each year and a sack of salt every huge rain.  Our pool was always perfect...I'd never go back to chlorine tabs.

I think the type of mask could make a huge difference too.  I wear a very good, thick mask that is secured against my face. If I had to wear a mask outside, I would definitely choose those cheap thin disposable ones.

Edited by TNcruising02

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Never had to put acid into our pool.  Just conditioner at startup each year and a sack of salt every huge rain.  Our pool was always perfect...I'd never go back to chlorine tabs.

What is in the conditioner? Does your system have a CO2 injector?

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

2 guys out of millions isn't too bad. My son sent me a picture of a man standing outside his midtown Manhattan branch with his pants and underwear around his ankles but he was wearing a mask. He said at least the pandemic got rid of the couple who were having sex daily in front of the bank. Typical day in Manhattan.

There was a story on the news a few days ago about a naked woman walking on a Manhattan street holding a pair of shoes but she was wearing a mask.

• Like 1

I have 2 more possible cancellations coming for this year and am leery of taking FCC's for them just in case we no longer like the product once Royal releases whatever the new protocols are going to be.  So far we have taken 1 FCC and 2 refunds.  Especially since they are not stackable.  If you have 5 FCC's and you can only use 1 per cruise and don't like the new rules you are SOOL.   I am also not a fan of spending my money for vacation and having to wear a mask.

Edited by molly361

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

This is the type Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, I use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal-Clear-Saltwater-System-for-Above-Ground-Pools-up-to-15-000-Gallons/173381946

Usually cost is about $125 for a 15,000 gallon unit, that usually last from 3 years to 5 years before having to buy another one.......divide that by 4, comes out to about $35.00 a year, plus  3 to 4 ... 50 lbs  of salt at $6.00 a bag..........Total cost per year for my 15,000 gallon 24' x 52" Above Ground Pool is $59.00.................I put no other chemicals in the pool the entire year and have crystal clear water for the 6 months of swimming season.

I believe the cost of these units are higher this year because of Covid 19 and everyone buying pools, I see a good price I buy 2 at a time for a back up, even found a way on You Tube to extend the life of them. So the 2 I have now should last the next 10 years, $250 investment for 10 years, not bad at all

We use a Hayword TCell 15. Amazon is cheaper than the pool store. 

Hayward W3T-Cell-15 TurboCell Salt Chlorination Cell for In-Ground Swimming Pools https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQ2NLCF/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_VLgkFbSSZNQYJ

A447037C-9BDA-414A-87B4-7B1B2F90936B.png

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

What is in the conditioner? Does your system have a CO2 injector?

I don't really know, our pool supplier recommended it so skin feels silkier and it adjusts the cyano bacteria a bit.  No we didn't have a CO2 injector.

• Thanks 1