Yet Another cruise is testing positive

rimmit

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

If it behaves like other coronaviruses that cause the common cold then it may circulate for awhile but hopefully it can be managed. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/08/coronavirus-will-never-go-away/614860/

There seems to be some data (I’ve only seen for my eyes only messages) that the virus continues to mutate. ???

M8

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

There seems to be some data (I’ve only seen for my eyes only messages) that the virus continues to mutate. ???

M8

I don't think we know yet? But it wouldn't surprise me if it does. The article also suggests the possibility that it jumps back to animals and then to humans again. All they have to compare with is what's already known about other viruses.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

It's truly unbelievable that any government would push to reopen their economies too rapidly without first containing this virus. Nearly every country has experienced a surge when reopening. I get that businesses need money but at what cost? Cruise ships cannot afford anymore negative publicity. Airlines are parking planes in long term storage. They anticipate normal air travel will not return until 2024. Cruise lines need to start planning much more long term. These stupid 30-60 day delays aren't helping anyone. And taking reservations for ships destined for the scrap yard is very a deceptive practice IMHO. I do not think cruise lines should be playing games like this with their most loyal customers.

There is no containing a virus.  You live with it.  

You can shut down to flatten the curve ( we did ) but eventually you have to get people back to work.  

Want everyone to stay at home until it's gone?  See you on the streets.  Economy collapses because people loose their incomes, food shortages, violence, looting, people trying to survive, etc.  This isn't the one that should shut down the world - the next one might be though.  Returning for schools and such is open for debate as it should be.  Put your mask on and exercise good judgement and roll with it.

Locally (Cincinnati, Ohio)  contract tracing points to backyard BBQs, and bars that aren't following rules.  You don't get the virus by walking outside (love people wearing masks in cars by themselves - idiots)  - we can live with it with better judgement from citizens and we will.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2020 at 12:25 PM, moda cruise said:

less cruisers   less ships  less trust every day LESS LESS LESS AND LESS till it becomes something non recognizable  

less trust in cruise companies  in government  in doctors  in special interest  in medical org etc

I also have trust issues.  

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

...You don't get the virus by walking outside (love people wearing masks in cars by themselves - idiots)  - we can live with it with better judgement from citizens and we will.  

Live with it, or die from it? I already pointed out reasons why people wear masks when alone (for one, to reduce their face-touching habits), but it still seems to bother you that they don't do things your way. It seems to me that we would be better off working together toward a solution than being critical of the intelligence of people who wear masks alone and are not contributing to the spread by doing so.

• Like 3

On 8/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

This is going to happen to just about any cruise ship until a vaccine is available and proven to be effective. 

I think you're right..and then we'll be right back into the March quarantine situation...worst nightmare to be trapped on a ship and/or nowhere to come back into port. 

• Like 3

You can shut down to flatten the curve ( we did ) but eventually you have to get people back to work.  

Want everyone to stay at home until it's gone?  See you on the streets.  Economy collapses because people loose their incomes, food shortages, violence, looting, people trying to survive, etc.  This isn't the one that should shut down the world - the next one might be though.  Returning for schools and such is open for debate as it should be.  Put your mask on and exercise good judgement and roll with it.

Locally (Cincinnati, Ohio)  contract tracing points to backyard BBQs, and bars that aren't following rules.  You don't get the virus by walking outside (love people wearing masks in cars by themselves - idiots)  - we can live with it with better judgement from citizens and we will.  

Sweden and 4 other countries never shut down anything. They are now pretty much back to normal and had fewer deaths per capita then most other countries that shut down everything. Just stating simple facts not trying to cause an argument with flyguyjake. There are many private doctors who are in emergency rooms, ICU's, and in Clinics that deal with Covid all the time. They feel that locking everything down is the wrong thing to do from a natural immunity point of view. Even the CDC recently came out with the decision that most of the country should be opened as there are more deaths from the affects of shutdown than there are from the virus.

Edited by Floridastorm

ORRRRR, you can listen to scientists early in the pandemic, shut down BEFORE there is untraceable spread, and have a populace that is cognizant of their neighbors and wears a mask, and keep their economies going while having few cases until a vaccine comes around.  And a vaccine will come around.  There is no evidence that suggests we won't be able to have a vaccine in some form, even if imperfect.

Taiwan yoy Q2 2020 GDP = -0.7%

Singapore = -12.6%

South Korea = -3.3%

New Zealand = 1.6%

US = 32.9%

All those countries at the top are reopening, some more successful than others.  I bet the Q3 numbers are going to be even worse for those countries that didn't try and going to widen the spread even further.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Sweden and 4 other countries never shut down anything. They are now pretty much back to normal and had fewer deaths per capita then most other countries that shut down everything. Just stating simple facts not trying to cause an argument with flyguyjake. There are many private doctors who are in emergency rooms, ICU's, and in Clinics that deal with Covid all the time. They feel that locking everything down is the wrong thing to do from a natural immunity point of view. Even the CDC recently came out with the decision that most of the country should be opened as there are more deaths from the affects of shutdown than there are from the virus.

This is wrong.   Just about every sentence is incorrect.  Can you please not spread fake news.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChC said:

Sometimes you wonder where do these people  get their news and statistics.

I think the problem is segmentation of news and society, accelerated by the internet.  Instead of having a few fairly centrist news channels that you chose from, these computer algorithms do nothing but feed you stuff you already believe in all day in order to get you to keep clicking and keep watching and keep seeing adds.  It just polarizes people and lets you hang out in the comfort of your own groups and beliefs without knowing what is true and what is skewed.

That's why I am on these forums so much, lots of people here are SO OUTSIDE my normal social circles that it's fascinating to me to see this part of the country that is so different.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Sweden and 4 other countries never shut down anything. They are now pretty much back to normal and had fewer deaths per capita then most other countries that shut down everything.

You're kidding, right?  Sweden had the 8th most deaths per capita of EVERY country:

image.thumb.png.46b785b042ed606b8e6fefbefd1bd06b.png

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, moda cruise said:

If vaccines become mandatory to cruise  This will be another blow for cruise lines  A lot of people do not trust vaccines 

The same people who cause outbreaks of measles, smallpox, mumps and whooping cough  among children in certain areas.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Was it Sweden that did not do lockdown ref businesses and wound up with no worse statistics than other countries, sparing the hit to the economy?  I heard they avoided a second wave, I guess because they got closer to herd immunity.  Interesting. I'm not claiming right or wrong approach, just feel concern about sending out govt money when we're already severely in debt. Even as a teen years ago, I learned about balancing a checkbook. I wish I had taken some college classes in economics. Will we reach a point ref debt that the whole house of cards falls down? If I didn't have kids and grandkids, maybe I wouldn't fret about it.

Sweden and 4 other countries did not shut anything down and they are now back to normal. Had similar or lower deaths per capita than most other countries that did shutdown thus destroying their economies. These are simple facts and statistics. Many private doctors are saying that shutting down the country does little to curb the spread of the virus. The body's natural immune system protects most people from viruses as we are bombarded by millions of viruses every day throughout our life. People with severely compromised immune systems have difficulty fighting off any virus even the common cold. The death rate for Covid-19 is really very low per capita in the US. 150,000 out of 330 million is .00045 percent.

Edited by Floridastorm
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, lovescats5 said:
  • What would you expect.  You make people stay home, thus increasing domestic abuse, and all the other things that drive people nuts.  Then you open a little of stores or cruise lines or whatever and now everyone is upset because there is an increase.  I am one of those people everyone dislikes.  I do not believe in masks, I think we need to let life get back to whatever normal will be.  If you do not want to take a chance on sailing, stay home.  I am in the high risk group because of age but am so tired of hearing and listening to people complain about not wanting to live until a vaccine is developed.  I had a niece die from the flu, and she got a flu vaccine.  There is no vaccine that will keep everyone safe.  Check the numbers on the swine flu and the regular flu.  Less than 1% of people have died from Covid.  Do I want people to die, no, but I am tired of having someone tell me how to live my life and what I should do.  Go ahead, give me your negative comments, tell me I am wrong in what I believe.  Won't change my mind like I won't change your mind.  I want to cruise, if you are afraid of cruising stay home in your house and let life pass you by.  My opinion only, which I am entitled to.

Next time you have surgery give your surgeon a break and tell them they don’t need a mask if you think it does not protect against disease. I am  a physician who’s youngest patient with Covid 19 is 10 days old. ( it is real and much worse) The no mask  argument goes back 100 years during the Spanish flu pandemic which by the way stated in Kansas ( Interesting history).  You can see how cities and states did based on public health protocols. I wish I could invite all the nay sayers to come volunteer in the COVID units or ER or better yet go be a teacher. I am sure everyone has something to offer but it would be unethical. I am a senior citizen physician with high risk conditions but still feel the need to help. I pray you or your loved ones do not have a bad outcome from COVID-19 and we decrease the loss of life and life long disabilities it is causing. Maybe it comes to no mask no medical care. I am open to suggestions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mek said:

While I believe herd immunity is  what is necessary to win the battle, we're not even close to that anywhere in the world.

Sorry, dup message.

Edited by mek

1 hour ago, Floridastorm said:

Sweden and 4 other countries did not shut anything down and they are now back to normal. Had similar or lower deaths per capita than most other countries that did shutdown thus destroying their economies. These are simple facts and statistics. Many private doctors are saying that shutting down the country does little to curb the spread of the virus. The body's natural immune system protects most people from viruses as we are bombarded by millions of viruses every day throughout our life. People with severely compromised immune systems have difficulty fighting off any virus even the common cold. The death rate for Covid-19 is really very low per capita in the US. 150,000 out of 330 million is .00045 percent.

Sweden’s death rate is 7%. I don’t know how that is good. They are willing to accept the deaths. That’s the difference. 

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Sweden’s death rate is 7%. I don’t know how that is good. They are willing to accept the deaths. That’s the difference. 

Agreed.  Sweden actually has one of the highest death rates of any country.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

LOL. in the words of our erudite president...

WRONG.

• Haha 1

Posted on the Celebrity board but thought the info also fit under this thread's topic "Yet Another Cruise is Testing Positive",  as yet another cruise (Seadream 1) is returning now to Bodo in Norway for testing after a passenger on the previous cruise was positive. Hopefully NO positive cases on this sailing:

(translated)

Cruise ships isolate passengers after corona infection

A Danish passenger who was on the previous cruise has been confirmed infected with corona. Thus, all passengers on SeaDream 1 have been told to stay in the cabin.

The cruise ship Seadream 1 may have covid-19 infection on board, and the ship is now routed to Bodø, FHI writes in a press release. According to the Norwegian Directorate of Health, the ship will arrive in Bodø around 02 o'clock on Wednesday night.

- Neither crew nor passengers are allowed to go ashore, and are kept on board the ship, says mayor Ida Pinnerød in Bodø municipality in a press release.

According to the municipality, there are 123 passengers and 85 in the crew. According to the municipality, all crew members must be tested before the samples are analyzed at Nordland Hospital. The test results are not expected until Wednesday evening. Communications consultant Tord Berthinussen tells VG that tents will probably be set up on the quay for testing.

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/i/wP7jk4/cruiseskip-isolerer-passasjerer-etter-coronasmitte

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

Posted on the Celebrity board but thought the info also fit under this thread's topic "Yet Another Cruise is Testing Positive",  as yet another cruise (Seadream 1) is returning now to Bodo in Norway for testing after a passenger on the previous cruise was positive. Hopefully NO positive cases on this sailing:

(translated)

Cruise ships isolate passengers after corona infection

A Danish passenger who was on the previous cruise has been confirmed infected with corona. Thus, all passengers on SeaDream 1 have been told to stay in the cabin.

The cruise ship Seadream 1 may have covid-19 infection on board, and the ship is now routed to Bodø, FHI writes in a press release. According to the Norwegian Directorate of Health, the ship will arrive in Bodø around 02 o'clock on Wednesday night.

- Neither crew nor passengers are allowed to go ashore, and are kept on board the ship, says mayor Ida Pinnerød in Bodø municipality in a press release.

According to the municipality, there are 123 passengers and 85 in the crew. According to the municipality, all crew members must be tested before the samples are analyzed at Nordland Hospital. The test results are not expected until Wednesday evening. Communications consultant Tord Berthinussen tells VG that tents will probably be set up on the quay for testing.

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/i/wP7jk4/cruiseskip-isolerer-passasjerer-etter-coronasmitte

Well doesn't this sound like fun!  Exactly what will happen, only on a larger scale,  if the people who would like to see mainstream cruising start up before it should could have their way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1