Europe 2021.... all canceled?

Cruisesfun65

13 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Now try and make a new booking for that cruise and go all the way to where you need to insert guest names. Error message. I tell you, not 1 sailing available to book.

Carnival is giving the same explanation. All cruises are sold out. 

Yeah right. They suddenly all sold out in 1 day.

Booked someone this weekend.

14 hours ago, Moviela said:

Europe is not accepting Americans at the moment unless you are a critical worker, or endure a 14 day lock down on arrival. 

They may be looking at the pax density compared to what European rules will accept. It can be different for each country too.

It is difficult to guess what any one authority will demand to allow business to continue.

This is the  reason no one can book a European cruise on any line for 2021.  Quit trying to book!  Not a website issue.  Watch the news for any easing up in Europe.  

Appears that a couple of trial sailing by other lines didn't have positive results.  Crew members or passengers tested positive for CV-19 post cruise.  and those were Europeans.  

Edited by crewsweeper

26 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival started doing Med cruises two years ago. They had them last year and scheduled for this year.  They also have them for 2021, John Heald talked about them recently.  The Legend is open for booking for a full season for 2021. The Carnival client is different than what Carnival cruisers on other lines (Princess, Hal and Costa).  We just booked someone on a legend Med  cruise over the weekend, trust me they are open.

I know that they restarted them. I was on the Vista and Horizon.

Don't believe John Heald!

They are no longer open for booking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival started doing Med cruises two years ago. They had them last year and scheduled for this year.  They also have them for 2021, John Heald talked about them recently.  The Legend is open for booking for a full season for 2021. The Carnival client is different than what Carnival cruisers on other lines (Princess, Hal and Costa).  We just booked someone on a legend Med  cruise over the weekend, trust me they are open.

Yeah, I want Carnival in Europe because if I am going to have my 6 and 7 year old on a cruise ship for 20+ days, I want a Kid's Club and fun kid entertainment.  I don't see Princess or HAL having quite the same resources for kids.   

We have the Barcelona to Dover (Spain, Gilbraltar, Lisbon, La Corona, Paris, Brussels, etc.) followed by a Norwegian Fjords cruise booked.  I wanted to add the Iceland/Scotland, but my husband thinks that is too long on a boat (would be more than 30 days) with our kids.

I am going to be devastated if those are cancelled.  Already had my 40th birthdayMardis Gras TA and other Fjords cruise canceled.

4 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Have you thought of flying there and exploring with a tour group? Americans aren't welcome at present, but maybe in time. Maybe leave the kids with grandma or something. 

Yeah, we have done that before in one country (like England), but harder to do if you want to see multiple countries and don't speak the language.  I don't want to leave my kids because I want them to have the experience of seeing the historic sites like the Alhambra, Westminster Abbey, Mont St Michael, etc.  

There is Disney, MSC, Celebrity, and Royal, I suppose...

Although, those aren't as good for kids except Disney. But Disney is expensive. I can have a suite on Carnival for less than an OV on Disney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Now try again today. 

I did and they are not currently open.  I called a couple of friends who work in Carnival mgt.  My guess is with COVID they want to wait to build demand, or there are ship changes (which makes more sense).  We will see.  

57 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

I know that they restarted them. I was on the Vista and Horizon.

Don't believe John Heald!

They are no longer open for booking.

LOL, John works for Carnival, why would we believe him.....

27 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Yeah, I want Carnival in Europe because if I am going to have my 6 and 7 year old on a cruise ship for 20+ days, I want a Kid's Club and fun kid entertainment.  I don't see Princess or HAL having quite the same resources for kids.   

We have the Barcelona to Dover (Spain, Gilbraltar, Lisbon, La Corona, Paris, Brussels, etc.) followed by a Norwegian Fjords cruise booked.  I wanted to add the Iceland/Scotland, but my husband thinks that is too long on a boat (would be more than 30 days) with our kids.

I am going to be devastated if those are cancelled.  Already had my 40th birthdayMardis Gras TA and other Fjords cruise canceled.

You will not be the only one.  It would be the 5th Carnival Med cruise cancelled in 6 months if it happens.

FWIW John Heald is saying they are still on but Carnival is capacity controlling them.  That isn't a completely illegitimate thought because Europe may require the ships to only sail at partial capacity and those sailings are popular enough that they may have hit that mark.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Y'all are making me scared and sad.  Dreams of next summer in Europe is what has gotten me through the hell of this lockdown.  😢

I will not believe till I hear from them, and I think I can get that info.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Have you thought of flying there and exploring with a tour group? Americans aren't welcome at present, but maybe in time. Maybe leave the kids with grandma or something. 

If needed, it does work and gives good way of getting a true flavor of a country.  The upside of cruising (esp for first timers) is it gives a true glimpse of several countries, and you eat and sleep on something you are familiar with.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

FWIW John Heald is saying they are still on but Carnival is capacity controlling them.  That isn't a completely illegitimate thought because Europe may require the ships to only sail at partial capacity and those sailings are popular enough that they may have hit that mark.  

With cruises "suddenly disappearing" as seems to be the case here, I can imagine the following scenario being the root cause of the "surprise":

Cruise Line: OK, let's limit capacity to 75% to help with social distancing.  We are currently 58% booked, so we can keep selling cabins.

Local Gov't (Europe, CDC, whatever): Hey, just to give you a heads up, we think we're going to mandate cruise lines operate at 50% capacity max.

Cruise Line: Shut. Down. Everything.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Yeah, we have done that before in one country (like England), but harder to do if you want to see multiple countries and don't speak the language.  I don't want to leave my kids because I want them to have the experience of seeing the historic sites like the Alhambra, Westminster Abbey, Mont St Michael, etc.  

There is Disney, MSC, Celebrity, and Royal, I suppose...

Although, those aren't as good for kids except Disney. But Disney is expensive. I can have a suite on Carnival for less than an OV on Disney.

Eli - Depending on the ship, MSC actually has a pretty good kids club.  I did a Genoa to Hamburg repo last April on the Meraviglia and the kids club was awesome, it is sponsored by Lego.  In addition, they had F1 and Flight simulators and a ton of other stuff to do.  If there is a newer ship, chances are it has a pretty good kids club.  Royal in Europe is hit or miss, we sailed one ship (Rhapsody) that was not great for kids, but the next year the Freedom was there and there is plenty for them to do.  

This was going to be my first time with Carnival in Europe so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Upon further reflection and seeing now that ALL Europe sailings are gone, I don't think this is a capacity issue. I looked a week or so ago and a couple of the October Legend bookings were wide open with even the most desirable cabins that tend to book up first being open.  If even a couple of them were still open, I would buy the capacity explanation. Plus, I also noticed that some of the excursions have disappeared or are listed as full even on the bookings I already have. 

My theory: I think they are going to pull the Legend out of Europe and use her for some of the sailings in the US for ships they scrap/sell.  There is more risk in Europe, probably more regulations, and probably less profit.  Plus HAL and Princess go there.  They can probably simply make more money in the US with that ship with less hassle.  That's my theory anyway.  I bet the suits are at least considering it even if they haven't made the official decision. 

Edited by Eli_6

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

I believe they pulled that line for September sailings as well, right before they cancelled... I wouldn't hold out high hopes. Definately don't book airfare if you haven't. For the poster that has booked airfare, I would start looking for a substitute cruise on another line that would be compatible with the booked airfare... I don't think it's a given yet that Americans cruising in Europe in 2021 is done. But with Carnival's low investment in the European market, it's certainly possible that they would focus their resources on their bread and butter Caribbean market. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Upon further reflection and seeing now that ALL Europe sailings are gone, I don't think this is a capacity issue. I looked a week or so ago and a couple of the October Legend bookings were wide open with even the most desirable cabins that tend to book up first being open.  If even a couple of them were still open, I would buy the capacity explanation. Plus, I also noticed that some of the excursions have disappeared or are listed as full even on the bookings I already have. 

My theory: I think they are going to pull the Legend out of Europe and use her for some of the sailings in the US for ships they scrap/sell.  There is more risk in Europe, probably more regulations, and probably less profit.  Plus HAL and Princess go there.  They can probably simply make more money in the US with that ship with less hassle.  That's my theory anyway.  I bet the suits are at least considering it even if they haven't made the official decision. 

That. Americans will cancel for any reason or no reason at all and Carnival could be left high and dry and scrambling. And then there is the chance Europe will put too many restrictions on Americans visiting, if allowed at all.

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

This is a very intensive itinerary for young children. Hardly any sea days.

I would suggest you pick just one country, start with Italy. book hotels in different areas, Cinque Terra, Rome and Sorrento for instance and travel by train between them. Time for beach days then.

The next year concentrate on Spain. The next year UK.

With cruises you don't get the feel of Europe. Walking around the squares at night eating gelato and listening to music is an experience not to be missed.

Actually Costa has a good Kid's club with Peppa Pig. Although your kids are probably too old for her.

• Like 1

Speculation.  Such a waste of energy but what else do avid cruisers have to do with their time.  Me, I'm working from home and need to get back at it!

Legend Med/TA 2020 was cancelled.  Re-booked Legend Med/TA 2021.  My uneducated guess is that, again, she won't be sent to Europe and will remain in Tampa or relocate somewhere else in the States.

If that happens, I'll be disappointed, but that means I probably won't cancel my NCL Escape TA April 2021 and will have more funds to apply to the OZ/NZ Feb 2022 Spirit/Splendor sailings.

• Like 2