Another covid positive cruise

16 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

You're right... this isn't working.

Let's hope RCCL doesn't make the same mistake many states made - reopening too soon. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

The SeaDream with 112 passengers traveling in Norway Yesterday had two passengers sick with Covid.

7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

This could also be a false positive.  The tests are only 75% accurate.  Hopefully, they retested the passenger who was positive.

Maybe.  

It's no better news for cruising if a "false positive" cancels a cruise and puts everyone in quarantine.....

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

This could also be a false positive.  The tests are only 75% accurate.  Hopefully, they retested the passenger who was positive.

Which raises the question of why haven't developed faster and better testing.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Maybe.  

It's no better news for cruising if a "false positive" cancels a cruise and puts everyone in quarantine.....

Nope, it isn't.  I have an elderly relative in an assisted living facility that locked down in early March and had no covid cases in patients or staff.  The state that it is in mandated all staff and patients be tested in early June and all came back negative.  Staff now is tested weekly and a percentage of the patients, all have been negative.  They had a positive come back on a patient that doesn't leave their room and retested, it came back negative.  To date, the whole facility is still negative and allows no visitors in the building, no vendors, no hair dresser or barber, no families, only one doctor.  This positive caused the patient to be quarantined, full ppe for anyone who had to interact with the person (nurses or food service).  Everyone has had to stay in there apartments anyways, with food delivery and med delivery.  No activities, no communal dining, only a walking program, under supervision, for those who are able.  There was just no way this person could have been positive and it led to major concern.

I hope the passenger is a false positive so all don't have to quarantine for two weeks.

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Which raises the question of why haven't developed faster and better testing.

We have a weekly family zoom meeting with an assisted living facility to get a status update on what is happening in the facility.  One of the recent meetings had a doctor from the medical advisory board of the corporation that owns this facility and he was saying a faster test might not be a better test and though they hoped they would have something in the future to do in facility testing, they would always follow up with the brain tickler test as it is more accurate.

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have a weekly family zoom meeting with an assisted living facility to get a status update on what is happening in the facility.  One of the recent meetings had a doctor from the medical advisory board of the corporation that owns this facility and he was saying a faster test might not be a better test and though they hoped they would have something in the future to do in facility testing, they would always follow up with the brain tickler test as it is more accurate.

We still must raise the question... if we have the greatest medical,  research and scientific minds in the world, why can't we do a painless, simple test  that is accessible for all citizens.  I have a feeling those in Washington are not having "brain ticklers" every day, yet our senior citizens have to put up with it.

Your elderly relative is extremely fortunate.  Here in NY, the death rate in some nursing homes and assisted living facilities has hit 50%

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

We still must raise the question... if we have the greatest medical,  research and scientific minds in the world, why can't we do a painless, simple test  that is accessible for all citizens.

+ agree.

I wanted to "like" all your post, but the last sentence was not suitable to "like"....

12 minutes ago, yogimax said:

We still must raise the question... if we have the greatest medical,  research and scientific minds in the world, why can't we do a painless, simple test  that is accessible for all citizens.  I have a feeling those in Washington are not having "brain ticklers" every day, yet our senior citizens have to put up with it.

Your elderly relative is extremely fortunate.  Here in NY, the death rate in some nursing homes and assisted living facilities has hit 50%

Yes, they are very fortunate.  I think the death rate in that state is similar to NY.  

If the standard procedure is still going to be to end the cruise and quarantine everyone if there is one positive test, I don’t see mainstream cruises sailing until there is a reliable vaccine and all passengers are required to provide proof they have had it to sail.

35 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

If the standard procedure is still going to be to end the cruise and quarantine everyone if there is one positive test, I don’t see mainstream cruises sailing until there is a reliable vaccine and all passengers are required to provide proof they have had it to sail.

+1   

When this first started I was more optimistic, but now I agree that a safe and effective vaccine will be necessary.

Why is this a surprise

1) The extent of SARs-COV-2 is so pervasive and prevalent

2) People who choose to do these most adventurous, live a life will be the highest risk,  versus the most safe minded stay at home kind. 

3)  Testing doesn't reveal anything about people who just got it, after all they are higher risk folks, traveling, probability of meeting and getting it from someone is very non-zero.    They wont' test positive before, intransit, that is why most places require a 14 day tight quarantine with test after that.   In the US self-quarantine is a joke unlike in some countries where it is nearly jail like self isolation.

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Thanks!  I have to ask, do you play poker?

No, but I know there is/was a poker player (Canada?) with the same name, also from Romania...

Dani is short from Daniela, Negreanu is my maiden name, and, since I was an only daughter, it's a way to keep [the name] it "alive"...

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

Brain ticklers... LOL. The Covid test is soooooooo uncomfortable!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

My daughter had a friend, went to one clinic and tested positive and another clinic and tested negative (2 different labs). Went back a week later and same results from each clinic...things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Also a poster on Carnival board had 2 fellow employees who were supposed to go to Walgreens/CVS for testing and didn’t show up....both received a call they were positive.

I think I would definitely get 2 tests from different places, just to verify. 

• Like 2

With all the science we have available to us why cannot they come up a rapid test that is at least 90% accurate?   From what I read our rapid influenza tests are only 50 to 70% accurate.     If we could just come up with fast and accurate testing this would make a world of difference. 

20 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Sounds like that didn't work for your daughters friend 🙂

Seriously, which one do you believe, especially if you are asymptomatic. At least if you have symptoms, you could probably lean towards positive. 😉

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

No, but I know there is/was a poker player (Canada?) with the same name, also from Romania...

Dani is short from Daniela, Negreanu is my maiden name, and, since I was an only daughter, it's a way to keep [the name] it "alive"...

Yes, it's a great way to keep your maiden name alive.  You are right about Daniel Negreanu.  He is a Canadian who parents emigrated from Romania and has been called the "Poker Player of the Decade."  I hope you didn't mind the question.  I have a feeling you have been asked it before!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

With all the science we have available to us why cannot they come up a rapid test that is at least 90% accurate?   From what I read our rapid influenza tests are only 50 to 70% accurate.     If we could just come up with fast and accurate testing this would make a world of difference. 

Yes, that's  the question.   Other nations have more accurate tests than we do.  Why?