And here's another thing cruise lines will have to do to prevent the spread of Covid

ontheweb

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

ban soda, especially coca cola

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/coca-cola-or-bottled-poison-mexico-finds-a-covid-19-villain-in-big-soda/ar-BB18hb65?li=BBorjTa&ocid=edgsp

But even if this was the true cause of the pandemic, they would not do it as there is a big profit to be made in selling soda.

Ah, but that's "Mexican Coke" not seen everywhere. It's made with sugar rather than the usual high fructose corn syrup. And it tastes SO much better. So says a native Atlantan, birthplace of Coca Cola. I try to keep a bottle on hand, which I can get at our local Latino market.

Just now, clo said:

Ah, but that's "Mexican Coke" not seen everywhere. It's made with sugar rather than the usual high fructose corn syrup. And it tastes SO much better. So says a native Atlantan, birthplace of Coca Cola. I try to keep a bottle on hand, which I can get at our local Latino market.

Since you seem to not mind catching the virus by drinking your Mexican coca cola, be sure to wear your mask and social distance so as to not spread it to others! 

• Haha 1

He's not accusing cola of having a role in spreading COVID. His point is that soda consumption contributes to obesity and obesity makes COVID more dangerous - seems a reasonable concern.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/08/23/coca-cola-bottled-poison-mexico-finds-covid-19-villain-soda/5607741002/

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

He's not accusing cola of having a role in spreading COVID. His point is that soda consumption contributes to obesity and obesity makes COVID more dangerous - seems a reasonable concern.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/08/23/coca-cola-bottled-poison-mexico-finds-covid-19-villain-soda/5607741002/

Soda consumption? Then the cruise lines would have to ban multiple servings and entrees in the MDR, ban all desserts, even ban alcohol since that can play a part in obesity. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/coca-cola-or-bottled-poison-mexico-finds-a-covid-19-villain-in-big-soda/ar-BB18hb65?li=BBorjTa&ocid=edgsp

But even if this was the true cause of the pandemic, they would not do it as there is a big profit to be made in selling soda.

Oh for crying out loud. WTH is wrong with people? Soft drinks don't cause or spread COVID. Stop. Just stop.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Since you seem to not mind catching the virus by drinking your Mexican coca cola, be sure to wear your mask and social distance so as to not spread it to others! 

Did you even read the article? You aren't going to catch COVID by drinking a Coke. I might enjoy a soft drink once a month. I'm certainly not going to change after reading that piece of useless trash.

• Like 3

"'bottled poison'? Mexico finds a COVID-19 villain in big soda"

Misleading nonsense :classic_rolleyes:

That pointless link has nothing to do with Covid, other than that an unhealthy diet makes one more susceptible to the effects of the virus. It could say the same thing about other colas, other sodas, chocolate, candies, fries, do'nuts, booze etc ad infinitum because they're not great products for those who want / need to lose weight.

Whilst overweight people are more likely to be severely affected, they are no more likely to catch the virus in the first place or to pass it on.

(Mom says - no, its pretty obvious that ontheweb didn't read the article :classic_wink:)

JB :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

This reminds me of when New York tried to put a ban on large soda drinks.  You can't legislate a healthy lifestyle by banning something.  I read that people with obesity do have a higher risk of dying from Covid, but removing one type of product with sugar will not change a thing.  It's ridiculous.   Taking away freedom of choice for food items doesn't solve the problem of people choosing to make healthy lifestyle decisions.  I can see them starting with soda and continuing with one item after another, yet never making a dent in the issue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, clo said:

Reminds me of when I flew to the Mediterranean to join my first ship - first stop was NAS Port Lyautey  in Morocco.  I was sure the Coca Cola was "different". but I couldn't put my finger on it -- only much later did I learn that many countries' bottling plants tinker with the additions to the official "secret" syrup.  Morocco apparently only used cane sugar - and more of it than many other regions ---  I got to really  like it in the week or so I waited for my flight to Naples.

• Like 1

There seems to be a higher susceptibility to COVID infections among those who are obese, diabetic or have cardiac issues.  That might describe about 70% of passengers I have seen or talked with on some cruises.

If a cruise line has a choice between banning 70% of their bookings or inviting the possibility of higher COVID counts on board, guess which way they'll choose?  I'll wager it won't be their PR BS line of "our highest priority is the safety of our passengers".

32 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Reminds me of when I flew to the Mediterranean to join my first ship - first stop was NAS Port Lyautey  in Morocco.  I was sure the Coca Cola was "different". but I couldn't put my finger on it -- only much later did I learn that many countries' bottling plants tinker with the additions to the official "secret" syrup.  Morocco apparently only used cane sugar - and more of it than many other regions ---  I got to really  like it in the week or so I waited for my flight to Naples.

I agree...bottling plants do make a difference. We enjoy a coca cola with dinner and the coke we had on an X cruise to Ireland/Iceland had the worst taste ever...can't remember where it was bottled.

FYI to any one interested my local Costco (SoCal) sells Mexican Coke.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Oh Just STOP spreading this :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, evandbob said:

There seems to be a higher susceptibility to COVID infections among those who are obese, diabetic or have cardiac issues. 

Hi, eve (or bob).

Just to clarify - there's no evidence to suggest that those people are more likely to become infected.

But if they do become infected, the effects are likely to be more severe including a higher risk of death.

Ditto those of a certain age. Not more likely to become infected - in fact, less-likely because most are retirees and can therefore more-easily avoid contact with others (unless they need carers).

But if infected, it's much more likely to be serious.

(Not my opinion, the opinions of medical professionals)

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

This reminds me of when New York tried to put a ban on large soda drinks.  You can't legislate a healthy lifestyle by banning something.  I read that people with obesity do have a higher risk of dying from Covid, but removing one type of product with sugar will not change a thing.  It's ridiculous.   Taking away freedom of choice for food items doesn't solve the problem of people choosing to make healthy lifestyle decisions.  I can see them starting with soda and continuing with one item after another, yet never making a dent in the issue.

A well known university hospital has banned all sugar packets (just sweeteners available) and sugar pop.  You can get diet soda and all the candy bars out of the vending machines you want

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

That pointless link has nothing to do with Covid, other than that an unhealthy diet makes one more susceptible to the effects of the virus. It could say the same thing about other colas, other sodas, chocolate, candies, fries, do'nuts, booze etc ad infinitum because they're not great products for those who want / need to lose weight.

Whilst overweight people are more likely to be severely affected, they are no more likely to catch the virus in the first place or to pass it on.

(Mom says - no, its pretty obvious that ontheweb didn't read the article :classic_wink:)

Our mainstream media barely mentions that obesity is one of the comorbidities that leads to a poor outcome with COVID especially with children   

11 hours ago, John Bull said:

ontheweb read the article. My post was somewhat sarcastic and somewhat to add some levity in these mean times. But it seems that there are many with no sense of humor.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

ontheweb read the article. My post was somewhat sarcastic and somewhat to add some levity in these mean times. But it seems that there are many with no sense of humor.

I actually now checked and see that @Hlitner gave a ha ha to my second post in this thread. At least someone has a sense of humor.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

My post was somewhat sarcastic and somewhat to add some levity in these mean times. But it seems that there are many with no sense of humor.

Sarcasm is a very British sense of humour, but even this Brit detected no hint of sarcasm in either of your posts - and he's not the only one on this thread.

Check out all the "likes" on posts by mom says & others.

Perhaps you should brush up on your delivery, or you'll have the same problem as The Donald when he tried to pass off as sarcasm his suggestion that folk inject with bleach. :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

There's been so much crazy stuff passed around regarding the virus that it's hard to discern sarcasm. The emojis help.  This one is good for sarcasm.  😉 

• Like 1

Why stop with blaming Coca-Cola for causing obesity? Maybe Mexico should include beer consumption too. There are a quite a few people that sport what is typically referred to as a "beer gut". And, might as well target McDonald's too. Their signs proclaim "Billions sold". I'll bet none of their hamburgers or cheeseburgers are low calorie. I'm in total agreement with TNcruising2's comments on this. 

16 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That article is an incredibly asinine connection.  Sounds more like a politician attempting to make a justification for a "soda tax" as some US municipalities have done.  It's not about public health.  It's about getting another source of tax revenue. 

Some have theorized that the close proximity of persons in elevators promotes the spread of covid.  Using the same logic he should propose the lock out of elevators as well for all but mobility-impared persons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1