Edge Laminae

Treacher1

26 minutes ago, Treacher1 said:

Is this suite restaurant the same as Blu - cannot make reservations - just go when you are ready to dine?  Thank you!

This is correct! We never had reservation for Luminae or Blu

I know this is for suite guests only - just meant didn't take reservations? - as Blu did not take reservations when we sailed Aqua class.  We are booked for March - who knows if this will happen.  We had 2 cruises canceled this year - hope by 2021 things are better!  Thanks for your answers.

Luminae hasn't’ t taken reservations in our experience, with the exception of a large family group of 10-12.  I think that was so the tables could be set to accommodate that many.  Fortunately they only dined as a group 3 nights out of 10.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Treacher1 said:

Is this suite restaurant the same as Blu - cannot make reservations - just go when you are ready to dine?  Thank you!

Simple answer for a question that isn’t complicated.

You  are correct.  

I have seen where they will “reserve” or try to hold a large table for 3 or more couples that want to dine together or families that are all  in suites.  Suites can have more than  2 people in a cabin, but even on those tables If another group shows up first they will get it.  These tables are normally away from the masses as they can get very loud.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

13 hours ago, Treacher1 said:

I know this is for suite guests only - just meant didn't take reservations? - as Blu did not take reservations when we sailed Aqua class.  We are booked for March - who knows if this will happen.  We had 2 cruises canceled this year - hope by 2021 things are better!  Thanks for your answers.

When we sailed in AQ (did twice-never again)  We stood on line waiting for a table.  If seated near the window- you are in a row with other tables for two- very crowded, with no privacy, every time my DH and I were talking to each other the people next to us would chime in!  Not a great option for dining in my opinion.  But some people like it.

Reservations were encouraged the last time I sailed Reflection.  It has more suites than the other older ships.  Reservations were only available at 8:30 or later.  We tried showing up early and they asked us to come back or made us wait until closer to our reservation time.  Maybe it was that particular sailing, but I've seen others post similar experiences.  I only sailed on Reflection that one time.

We were usually seated immediately in Luninae.  A couple of times we may have waited five minutes to be seated. 

The staff is incredibly talented and service oriented. That and the outstanding food is why we usually book a suite when we can. 

Here's hoping for a "return to normal" sooner rather than later.  

We love luminae food and service is great definitely better service than specialty restaurants and food is equal . We had free specialty restaurants on 

last cruise but still had most In Luminae.  Luminae was never crowded on our cruises but they were not on the Edge, just check with Luminae and ask about reservations when you board. 

On 9/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, Treacher1 said:

As you undoubtedly realize by now, "Treacher1," you should have referred to "Luminae," in the title of this thread, rather than "Laminae."   However, this is only regrettably true because of the following ironic fact:

~~~~ It was Celebrity that made a big blunder, years ago, in naming the restaurant, "Luminae," since there is no such word!  Someone was trying to use the plural of a Latin word for "light" (lumen) but he/she misspelled it!  The plural is actually "lumina," not "luminae."  [It's never too late for "X" to fix this, giving the light-intensive dining rooms their proper name!]

~~~~ The other irony is that your accidentally wrong word (Laminae) is the legitimate Latin plural of the word, "lamina" (which can mean a "thin sheet of material [the root of the English word, "lamination"]).

• Thanks 1

We mostly do B2B's and the Restaurant Manager quickly learns your schedule.   They have really been good at making sure we have the same waiter every evening and if running late will call the Lounge to let us know and called when our table was ready.

We are late diners and usually don't show up until 8:30 -9:00.   Usually not a problem but on South American and Southern European cruises many late diners.

We have always made it a point to inform the maitre 'd at both Blue and Luminae of our preferred dining time.  Doing this resulted in our being seated, when others where waiting at Blu, and getting seated in the same area with the same wait staff for every dinner.  

We try to keep to our 'normal' dinner time even when we cruise, around 1830 (6:30 pm for you landlubbers).  

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2020 at 12:57 PM, Cruise a holic said:

Suite Guests can make dinner reservations at luminae.    ***  It isn't the same as blu.  Blu is very different both physically and the menu and service.

I am responding to the comment about the Blu menu. 

I am not a "health food" fan, and I did not appreciate the Blu menu.  However, that was not a problem. We were told that we could order from any of the Main Dining Room menus and they can get it for us.   This was in Blu on the Edge.

There was never a wait in Blu, but I found the main restaurants to be almost as good at fitting walk-in customers promptly.  Since this was our first voyage on the Edge, I wanted to try all of the main restaurants (plus Blu) -- we were not in a full suite, so no Luminae [sic.  Thank you, jg51!  I have not taken a class in Latin in roughly 50 years.]    That took five of the seven nights.  

Service in Blu was incredible!

10 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I am responding to the comment about the Blu menu. 

I am not a "health food" fan, and I did not appreciate the Blu menu.  However, that was not a problem. We were told that we could order from any of the Main Dining Room menus and they can get it for us.   This was in Blu on the Edge.

There was never a wait in Blu, but I found the main restaurants to be almost as good at fitting walk-in customers promptly.  Since this was our first voyage on the Edge, I wanted to try all of the main restaurants (plus Blu) -- we were not in a full suite, so no Luminae [sic.  Thank you, jg51!  I have not taken a class in Latin in roughly 50 years.]    That took five of the seven nights.  

Service in Blu was incredible!

While we book suites, I had the opportunity to dine in the regular MDR's.  What a great concept.  Each was beautiful and bright and while most of the menu was the same-each had some specialties from the theme of the restaurant.  ie- greek-  Loved it.  Blu has a poor location and you do not get this dining experience.  To pay more for AQ in my opinion isn't worth it on the Edge.  Get my time dining.  So much better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

While we book suites, I had the opportunity to dine in the regular MDR's.  What a great concept.  Each was beautiful and bright and while most of the menu was the same-each had some specialties from the theme of the restaurant.  ie- greek-  Loved it.  Blu has a poor location and you do not get this dining experience.  To pay more for AQ in my opinion isn't worth it on the Edge.  Get my time dining.  So much better.

agree, as much as we love Luminae, also feel the MDR's have great themes/decor, the food is also very very good.

We’ve sailed on the Edge  3 times in a suite.  Luminae is a very different experience than other Celebrity ships.  It’s crowded and loud.  My suggestion is book a few nights in specialty restaurants.

Edited by Oville

8 minutes ago, Oville said:

We’ve sailed on the Edge  3 times in a suite.  Luminae is a very different experience than other Celebrity ships.  It’s crowded and loud.  My suggestion is book a few nights in specialty restaurants.

We've sailed in suites both S and M class ships and are looking at something on the Apex or Edge in 2021 or 2022 and debating between between a Sky suite or a Concierge room (so we get the 5 pts per night).  Normally we'd go for the suite for Luminae and the suite amenities, but with the four dining rooms and the specialty dining options we are really thinking about trying one trip in something other than a suite.  Obviously the Retreat would be something we'd miss and that will make a difference in our experience overall, but if Luminae is crowded and loud it might be time to save some $ and experience all the other dining options. 

On 9/2/2020 at 8:35 PM, Treacher1 said:

Your question has already been answered, just a further suggestion...

We do find the Luminae menu fairly limited in choice. If you ask to see the evening menu at breakfast (or visit the Retreat lounge where they have a copy) you can then decide to dine there or choose to request one of the MDR restaurants or book a speciality. 

7 hours ago, garyl62 said:

We've sailed in suites both S and M class ships and are looking at something on the Apex or Edge in 2021 or 2022 and debating between between a Sky suite or a Concierge room (so we get the 5 pts per night).  Normally we'd go for the suite for Luminae and the suite amenities, but with the four dining rooms and the specialty dining options we are really thinking about trying one trip in something other than a suite.  Obviously the Retreat would be something we'd miss and that will make a difference in our experience overall, but if Luminae is crowded and loud it might be time to save some $ and experience all the other dining options. 

6 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Your question has already been answered, just a further suggestion...

We do find the Luminae menu fairly limited in choice. If you ask to see the evening menu at breakfast (or visit the Retreat lounge where they have a copy) you can then decide to dine there or choose to request one of the MDR restaurants or book a speciality. 

The best part of a suite on the edge, IMO is the suite deck.  A true suite deck!  A full service bar, restaurant for lunch- a pool and hot tub.  Plenty of lounge chairs, very comfortable, in sun and shade.  Also the suite lounge is directly below- so restful!  If you can afford it, a wonderful experience.  We also book a couple of sp restaurants- didn't like eden at all.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Thanks 1