Cruising on early NOV 2020. Help

kuhne

Hi all. So my cruise leaves on Nov 8 from Cape Canaveral. the wife and my two kids. I've been secretly waiting for Royal to cancel the whole thing so that I can get an actual refund and not future cruise credit. If the cruise isn't canceled then we will go on the trip, our mind is set.

The problem is there seems to be some talk about how passengers need to be covid tested before going in the ship...the hell? There's a booklet in the royal caribbean website with recomendations and this is a recomendation but I am not sure it's 100% implented yet.

First of all, some countries including my own do not simply give you a covid test unless you are showing symtoms. I could fake symptoms in other to get one but it's ridiculous because the sponsored tests here take weeks for the results to come out (I know, it's dumb) and if I were to go to a private lab I would have to pay about 250 bucks per family member, so that's another 1k just to be able to get on the cruise?

But nevermind that, I cannot get a test in here unless I am sick, which I am not and hopefully no one in my family will be before the cruise.

So how exactly do they come up with this brilliant plan of forcing people to have a recent test (5 days) before boarding the ship?

I called royal caribbean today and the lady simply said they do not know what protocols they will be enforcing before boarding and that we will be getting an email with all the information once they do know.

It's almost october, the cruise leaves in early november, they need to allow us time to cancel and make other preparations for our trip (hotel, car rental, etc.)

So what the heck is going on? On one side we are completly unsure if the cruise is happening or not, since royal casually says on their website (our goal is to resume november 1) on the other they say guests need to be tested. I wish I could get a full refund to my card but it is impossible unless the cancelation happens on their end.

Do you guys have any idea what is going on?

1 minute ago, kuhne said:

Hi all. So my cruise leaves on Nov 8 from Cape Canaveral. the wife and my two kids. I've been secretly waiting for Royal to cancel the whole thing so that I can get an actual refund and not future cruise credit. If the cruise isn't canceled then we will go on the trip, our mind is set.

The problem is there seems to be some talk about how passengers need to be covid tested before going in the ship...the hell? There's a booklet in the royal caribbean website with recomendations and this is a recomendation but I am not sure it's 100% implented yet.

First of all, some countries including my own do not simply give you a covid test unless you are showing symtoms. I could fake symptoms in other to get one but it's ridiculous because the sponsored tests here take weeks for the results to come out (I know, it's dumb) and if I were to go to a private lab I would have to pay about 250 bucks per family member, so that's another 1k just to be able to get on the cruise?

But nevermind that, I cannot get a test in here unless I am sick, which I am not and hopefully no one in my family will be before the cruise.

So how exactly do they come up with this brilliant plan of forcing people to have a recent test (5 days) before boarding the ship?

I called royal caribbean today and the lady simply said they do not know what protocols they will be enforcing before boarding and that we will be getting an email with all the information once they do know.

It's almost october, the cruise leaves in early november, they need to allow us time to cancel and make other preparations for our trip (hotel, car rental, etc.)

So what the heck is going on? On one side we are completly unsure if the cruise is happening or not, since royal casually says on their website (our goal is to resume november 1) on the other they say guests need to be tested. I wish I could get a full refund to my card but it is impossible unless the cancelation happens on their end.

You are directing your anger at the wrong company.  Royal is completely at the mercy of the CDC, who is going to be the one to make ALL decisions about when sailing resumes and what will be required.  If any of the cruise lines want to sail they will have no choice but to follow any and all rules set in place by the CDC.  As of this date nothing has been decided so Royal and all other cruise lines have no choice but to wait for instructions.

But you can bet the rules and regulations in the beginning are going to be strict, so I would not be a bit surprised if everyone is required to get a COVID test before sailing.  

At this point calling Royal will do you no good as they will have no idea what’s going to be required until they hear officially from the CDC....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not angry, I’m just frustrated and confused (as is everyone I’m sure) 

i am pretty sure that if they force people to pay for a COVID test before entering the ship then a lot of people even from the USA will decide to cancel.

Injust hope whichever decision is made is made soon because they are not leaving people a lot of time to plan other stuff. Flights have been paid for and moving them to another date is not an option right now. At least we are close to Disney!

• Like 2

Hopefully, RCI will let you know their protocol soon with regard to taking the covid test.  I don't know what state you live in;  I do know from my FB group, that some people in the tri-state area of NYC have been able to get tested before they fly to the Caribbean Islands.  For instance, people in the borough of Staten Island have been tested from some company in Brooklyn.

Good luck!  I wish you the best with your plans.

Maybe they will have something in place like MSC and give you the test at the port. I dont know what country you come from so barring a change in process there, this may be your only option. Maybe send the suggestion to RCCL. Like the other commenter said, we are all at the mercy of the CDC. 

We were booked on 1 and 8 Nov Harmony and cancelled right before final payment.  We fully expect them to not happen, but we made the decision.  Even if the CDC allows some cruises in Nov, there's no guarantee your cruise will happen.  Every ship will not start sailing the minute it opens back up.

• Like 3

As mentioned above, if it’s anything like what the cruise lines have implemented in Europe, you’ll be given quick tests right at the port before embarkation. But nobody will really know until the CDC lifts the no sail order, a restart is officially confirmed, and the new protocols are outlined.

You mentioned that you’re coming from another country. Are you flying in a few days prior to the cruise? It’s becoming easier to get tests in many jurisdictions in the USA. I live in Georgia and here we can now get rapid, 15 minute tests without appointments and without any symptoms at many facilities. If tests are required before arriving at the port, you could research to see if such facilities exist near Port Canaveral.

Best of luck. I know that your situation isn’t easy. 

Thanks for your replies.

I am from Mexico, testing down here is a pain in the butt and extremely expensive and usually need to have symptoms in the first place.

if the cruise line were to give them out for free, sure... but how would they get the result in minutes? I doubt they will use those new quick tests,  not even sure they are reliable!

i get the Importance but asking someone to pay for 4 tests just to get inside the ship is sort of crazy. I really hope they don’t do that or else I’m going to have to cancel

10 hours ago, kuhne said:

Don't worry, you're not cruising in November.   Since they don't have any plans in place, there's no way everything would be ready to go by November 8.    Your only decision is L&S, FCC or Refund.

• Like 11

They come up with this brilliant plan in order to be able to open up cruising again and generate revenue. If they have it as a requirement to be Covid tested before cruising, guess what....you have to have a covid test. It is as simple as that. 

My opinion though is they will invest in the 15 minute test machines that can cover it. Since they will only be starting at 3 ports most likely, you are talking about maybe 10 machines at each. Those without their own covid test can go to the one at port, agree to some charge pp, and be done. But people need to be prepared that if their test is positive, they will not be permitted to board. 

One other thing, this is only suggestions they made with their Health Panel. Most of it is common sense and has little to do with what the CDC is going to require. I think the cruise lines actions and what the CDC will need are still an ocean apart. 

Edited by bigrednole
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kuhne said:

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not angry, I’m just frustrated and confused (as is everyone I’m sure) 

i am pretty sure that if they force people to pay for a COVID test before entering the ship then a lot of people even from the USA will decide to cancel.

Injust hope whichever decision is made is made soon because they are not leaving people a lot of time to plan other stuff. Flights have been paid for and moving them to another date is not an option right now. At least we are close to Disney!

Maybe a couple months ago before final payment you should have just lifted and shifted your cruise for a year later and not be hoping the cruise would get canceled so you could get all your money back, you would have only had the deposit there on hold this way.

When this all started back in March did you really think you would be cruising again by November, even if do you really want to endanger your family( your children) with a vacation like this after seeing quaratined ships the prior months?

12 hours ago, kuhne said:

since it is 6-7 weeks away, my suggestion is not to panic but wait to see what is going on and keep checking Royal caribbean website health updates and your email. No one on these boards knows whats going on as this is all new. Monday morning quarterbacking does not help your situation. No one except for those with a DeLorean knew in March what would occur 8 months later.  A lot of people are in the same situation as you with the uncertainty. Good luck to whatever happens.  If you have an option to move the cruise, that may be a good choice. Im not sure of your situation but it may give you piece of mind to move it to next year when the pandemic hopefully will be fading.

Edited by jean87510

4 hours ago, kuhne said:

Thanks for your replies.

I am from Mexico, testing down here is a pain in the butt and extremely expensive and usually need to have symptoms in the first place.

if the cruise line were to give them out for free, sure... but how would they get the result in minutes? I doubt they will use those new quick tests,  not even sure they are reliable!

i get the Importance but asking someone to pay for 4 tests just to get inside the ship is sort of crazy. I really hope they don’t do that or else I’m going to have to cancel

I hope you get an answer soon but I really have to disagree with your last comment - why is it crazy for people to have to have a test to board a ship?  I can't imagine even considering a cruise right now without requiring people to have one. and I don't see why people shouldn't have to pay for it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kuhne said:

We are at the mercy of the CDC and when they will allow cruise ships to sail out of us ports.  Imho I dont see the cdc granting permission for sailings to happen in november.

The plan rcl submitted this week to the cdc calls for every passenger to get tested 24 hr to 5 days before cruise.  If positive do not show up at the port.  Then the may do their own 2nd rapid test at the terminal depending on feasibility, cost and reliability of the rapid tests. Airlines are still offering flexibility of cancelling or rescheduling flights.  I suggest you check the policy of the airline you booked with.

Hotels too.

15 hours ago, kuhne said:

No, it doesn't. There, problem solved. Take your refund and run 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bigrednole said:

They come up with this brilliant plan in order to be able to open up cruising again and generate revenue. If they have it as a requirement to be Covid tested before cruising, guess what....you have to have a covid test. It is as simple as that. 

My opinion though is they will invest in the 15 minute test machines that can cover it. Since they will only be starting at 3 ports most likely, you are talking about maybe 10 machines at each. Those without their own covid test can go to the one at port, agree to some charge pp, and be done. But people need to be prepared that if their test is positive, they will not be permitted to board. 

One other thing, this is only suggestions they made with their Health Panel. Most of it is common sense and has little to do with what the CDC is going to require. I think the cruise lines actions and what the CDC will need are still an ocean apart. 

There is a plan? Where is it? I have seen recommendations but where is this plan??? 

1 hour ago, mek said:

I hope you get an answer soon but I really have to disagree with your last comment - why is it crazy for people to have to have a test to board a ship?  I can't imagine even considering a cruise right now without requiring people to have one. and I don't see why people shouldn't have to pay for it.

To be honest any place worth their salt thats forcing people to get tested are paying for the test themselves. If Royal wants their customers to get tested then they should test before boarding. There are countries that need you to get tested before you leave the airport but they don’t make you pay for it. 

There’s also the issue with testing in different countries, say Japan, Mexico or other countries that are not as test happy and usually require symptoms before a test.

I’d be happy to test myself so long as the test is free, provided by them and they don’t shove a stick up my 4 and 6 year old brains.

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe a couple months ago before final payment you should have just lifted and shifted your cruise for a year later and not be hoping the cruise would get canceled so you could get all your money back, you would have only had the deposit there on hold this way.

When this all started back in March did you really think you would be cruising again by November, even if do you really want to endanger your family( your children) with a vacation like this after seeing quaratined ships the prior months?

When all this started in may I thought I would be traveling by June, July. I never expected this to last the whole year but we have traveled already, went in a few flights, etc. All with face covers and all sorts of sanitization, keeping distance, etc. Going to a cruise in November didnt seem that big of a deal and it really still doesn’t. I would go if they lifted the no sail order. Knocking on wood but me and the wife are both in good shape and not old, my kids are 6 and 4. The only real problem is when we get back home we stay inside for about 15 days to make sure we dont get it to anyone else in case we got it.

About the deposit, I bought this cruise so long ago I dont even remember how or what I paid but I think I paid everything up front and forgot about it. It was a special rate so they were a bit special with the cancelation if I recall. And I wont be able to cruise next year for sure as we already have our trips more or less planned, so its either cruising in November or using that money for something else.

I really hope things get sorted

18 hours ago, kuhne said:

First of all, some countries including my own do not simply give you a covid test unless you are showing symtoms

What country only tests if you have symptoms?  

Answered

“I am from Mexico, testing down here is a pain in the butt and extremely expensive and usually need to have symptoms in the first place.”

Seems a great way to keep the positive counts low. Most everyone in my area (Florida) that tests positive is Asymptomatic. 

Thanks

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

1 hour ago, kuhne said:

To be honest any place worth their salt thats forcing people to get tested are paying for the test themselves. If Royal wants their customers to get tested then they should test before boarding. There are countries that need you to get tested before you leave the airport but they don’t make you pay for it. 

There’s also the issue with testing in different countries, say Japan, Mexico or other countries that are not as test happy and usually require symptoms before a test.

I’d be happy to test myself so long as the test is free, provided by them and they don’t shove a stick up my 4 and 6 year old brains.

Why should the test be free?? I think you are being overly dramatic regarding your 4 and 6 year old brains being poked. I get tested weekly at work, it’s not that bad at all 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Why should the test be free?? I think you are being overly dramatic regarding your 4 and 6 year old brains being poked. I get tested weekly at work, it’s not that bad at all 

Tests in Canada are free, thank goodness for socialized health care. I got tested last month and won't be doing it again anytime soon. Felt like they took a long q-tip but cut the soft end off and jabbed it as far up my nose as it would go and scraped for about 5 seconds or so. Made my eyes water. I will not be getting any of my kids tested unless it's absolutely necessary. 

26 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Tests in Canada are free, thank goodness for socialized health care. I got tested last month and won't be doing it again anytime soon. Felt like they took a long q-tip but cut the soft end off and jabbed it as far up my nose as it would go and scraped for about 5 seconds or so. Made my eyes water. I will not be getting any of my kids tested unless it's absolutely necessary. 

That’s unfortunate you had that experience, the test can be done in a MUCH gentler fashion. I understand the Canadian healthcare system; but do you think Medicare will be willing to expend public funds for your Covid test to go on a cruise? That was my point, perhaps not clearly stated, a test for a recreational activity should be the financial responsibility of the traveler. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That’s unfortunate you had that experience, the test can be done in a MUCH gentler fashion. I understand the Canadian healthcare system; but do you think Medicare will be willing to expend public funds for your Covid test to go on a cruise? That was my point, perhaps not clearly stated, a test for a recreational activity should be the financial responsibility of the traveler. 

Someone on another social media site was saying that you can't get tested in Texas unless you have sumptoms, is that true?

Also read posts from people that already have pre cruise plans in Europe.  If the 5 day test becomes true I wonder how that will work (so were they)  Hopefully the testing will be done at the pier

• Like 1

My wife and I will have to get tested before our trip to St Lucia (replaced our November cruise). I wouldn’t expect sandals or the St Lucian government to pay for a test when I am voluntarily going there. If you want to vacation in this current climate, it comes with the territory 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2