Wondering about CDC

brenderlou

Even if the CDC does let the ban expire, the CLIA placed a pause on all US cruises until Oct. 31.  This from an article in USA today back in August:

"The cruise industry voluntarily suspended voyages in U.S. waters until "at least" Oct. 31, a month past the date the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's "no-sail" order is set to expire. "

United States Coast Guard (USCG) 

Monitoring Vessels that Pose a Risk to Public Health. As of September 18th, the USCG is tracking 60 cruise ships moored, at anchor, or underway in vicinity of a U.S. port, or with potential to arrive in a US port, with approximately 9,440 crewmembers. This includes an estimated 200 American Citizens crewmembers dispersed among 33 vessels. The Coast Guard is working with the CDC based on its extension of the No Sail Order for cruise ships, which permits the off-loading of crewmembers following submission of a plan to the CDC.

Reservists. As of September 18th, the USCG has recalled and deployed 430 Reservists in support of COVID-19 operations. They are activated to serve in numerous types of roles, including work in IT support, medical clinics, PPE warehouses, command centers and other incident management roles, notably assisting federal partners such as HHS, and supporting state

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/09/26/weekly-update-dhs-response-covid-19

This update just posted today. Something to read into here with the recall of support staff? Gearing up for return to cruising???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

Even if the CDC does let the ban expire, the CLIA placed a pause on all US cruises until Oct. 31.  This from an article in USA today back in August:

"The cruise industry voluntarily suspended voyages in U.S. waters until "at least" Oct. 31, a month past the date the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's "no-sail" order is set to expire. "

Makes sense now. Didn't  Carnival CEO say they need 30 days to get a ship crewed-up and ready to sail? 

No sail expires Sept 30....voluntary pause ends Oct31....throw in Florida Grand Reopening and that makes me go hmmmmmm.  Maybe North America cruising might be closer than we think. I might need to amend my Dec 15th guess.

Off-topic: I'm thinking of starting my own cult which would be my favorite religion. All others would automatically become my least favorite.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

United States Coast Guard (USCG) 

Monitoring Vessels that Pose a Risk to Public Health. As of September 18th, the USCG is tracking 60 cruise ships moored, at anchor, or underway in vicinity of a U.S. port, or with potential to arrive in a US port, with approximately 9,440 crewmembers. This includes an estimated 200 American Citizens crewmembers dispersed among 33 vessels. The Coast Guard is working with the CDC based on its extension of the No Sail Order for cruise ships, which permits the off-loading of crewmembers following submission of a plan to the CDC.

Reservists. As of September 18th, the USCG has recalled and deployed 430 Reservists in support of COVID-19 operations. They are activated to serve in numerous types of roles, including work in IT support, medical clinics, PPE warehouses, command centers and other incident management roles, notably assisting federal partners such as HHS, and supporting state

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/09/26/weekly-update-dhs-response-covid-19

This update just posted today. Something to read into here with the recall of support staff? Gearing up for return to cruising???

The Miami-Dade Mayor urged CDC not to renew no-sail order today.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Would it include pineapples?

While I do consider myself a welcoming and hospitable person, I don't swing and neither will my cult.   Hope that doesn't discourage anyone from joining. 😅

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Ditto this  Was just coming to say the same thing.  

Seriously people, you gotta keep up and look beyond the headlines.

The CDC's 6% COVID-19 Deaths Stat Is Causing Confusion on Social Media—Here Are the Facts

"While it’s true that in 6% of COVID-19-related deaths, COVID-19 was the only diagnosis listed on the death certificate, that’s only part of the picture."..."In most cases, there are multiple contributing diagnoses...immediate trigger for death was pneumonia, influenza, or some other infectious process"

We've known this since March and is a reason Carnival's initial Fit to Sail plan was sound and could have prevented much of the cruising shutdown.  The NSO should expire, should have expired and should never have been ordered.  

So far, looking good.  When agencies want to avoid scrutiny, they usually drop things like this Friday afternoon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, taznremmy said:

While the majority of the cruise lines are members of CLIA, a few are not and might need directives from the CDC.

The majors of Miami, Miami Beach and Miami-Dade County, are not in agreement with the Florida Governor’s orders nor the lifting of the NSO.  The first cruise to restart out of FL will probably not originate from PortMiami. 😢

19 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

While the majority of the cruise lines are members of CLIA, a few are not and might need directives from the CDC.

The majors of Miami, Miami Beach and Miami-Dade County, are not in agreement with the Florida Governor’s orders nor the lifting of the NSO.  The first cruise to restart out of FL will probably not originate from PortMiami. 😢

??? PortMiami is under County Mayor Giminez and he is a strong supporter of getting the cruise industry back in business. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

??? PortMiami is under County Mayor Giminez and he is a strong supporter of getting the cruise industry back in business. 

Carlos Gimenez is indeed in favor of opening up PortMiami to cruise lines but he is also looking at the timeline as it relates to the CV cases, and the numbers are not low enough at this point.  Other Florida Counties have less cases and will probably open their ports sooner. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

Ditto this  Was just coming to say the same thing.  

Six days ago, the President of the CLIA said " Based on what we are seeing in Europe, and following months of collaboration with leading public health experts, scientists, and governments, we are confident that these measures will provide a pathway for the return of limited sailings from the U.S. before the end of this year.”

1 minute ago, Vera/Lee said:

Six days ago, the President of the CLIA said " Based on what we are seeing in Europe, and following months of collaboration with leading public health experts, scientists, and governments, we are confident that these measures will provide a pathway for the return of limited sailings from the U.S. before the end of this year.”

It’s possible cruising will resume out of the US before the end of the year but will most likely not start with sailings out of PortMiami.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Seems we have two South Floridians with different opinions on what the Miami, Miami Beach and Miami-Dade Mayor’s position is. ????

I would never expect them to agree with the Governor. They were for the other guy. 

M8

We both agree cruising will resume, however the timing is debatable. FTR, I was not for the “other guy”.  Only the Miami Beach Mayor is on the other side of the aisle.

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

It’s possible cruising will resume out of the US before the end of the year but will most likely not start with sailings out of PortMiami.

What do you know about Port Canaveral? Does it look favorable to opening?

9 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Carlos Gimenez is indeed in favor of opening up PortMiami to cruise lines but he is also looking at the timeline as it relates to the CV cases, and the numbers are not low enough at this point.  Other Florida Counties have less cases and will probably open their ports sooner. 

I think Miami and Broward leaders were taken by surprise by the Governor’s Phase 3 announcement and the Governor not allowing mask fines. They stated they were not informed of this before his Press conference announcement. With the bars re-opening we will have to wait and see how that affects viral numbers. I had stated months ago that my prediction was that cruises would restart out of Port Canaveral but after hearing the PortMiami meeting a few weeks ago, I think it will be Miami. Just my opinion. 

Edited by sandebeach
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Even IF bit IF cruising started back in November didn't Royal say that the first couple or few sailings would be like shake down sailings with employees only?

Yes, Bayley said it would be for employees and their families only.

Edited by livingonthebeach

2 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I think Miami and Broward leaders were taken by surprise by the Governor’s Phase 3 announcement and the Governor not allowing mask fines. They stated they were informed of this before his Press conference announcement. With the bars re-opening we will have to wait and see how that affects viral numbers. I had stated months ago that my prediction was that cruises would restart out of Port Canaveral but after hearing the PortMiami meeting a few weeks ago, I think it will be Miami. Just my opinion. 

Especially disconcerting for the Miami Beach Mayor, which is the most problematic area.  Port Everglades, Port Canaveral and Port of Tampa have a better chance at restarting, IMO.