No sail order officially extended

On September 30, 2020, the CDC extended the "No Sail" order for cruise ships in the United States for one month, meaning cruises could operate as early as November 1.

This order is in effect until one of the following occurs, according to the CDC:

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • October 31, 2020.

While only extended to the same time that the cruise lines have voluntarily paused operations it is not a clear signal that cruising can resume on Nov.1 as it may have been if the no sail order was not extended.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Past two days stock market up, cruise line stocks flat to down.  Apparently Wall St doesn't believe re-start is imminent.

The market may be waiting to see if the industry sits down with the administration and what the outcome of that meeting is. A few days ago there was optimism that the no-sail order would be allowed to expire, and obviously that didn't happen so expectations have been lowered. There will be an uptick in stocks when sailing resumes and investors see a short term opportunity. Then stocks will turn down when the quarterly results come in below expectations. It's just a hunch but it seems somewhat predictable.

Look at the second bullet point on the original. He wanted to extend it until February or March. Unless things improve dramatically in the near future, it would be premature to start packing, unless the White House sticks their nose it it again. I doubt it as that would have been an option on the post.

• Like 1

Just now, RETNAVY1996 said:

My suitcases are staying in the attic until I hear from friends that work on the cruise ships that they are being called back.  As has been stated it will take them around 30 days to get rolling so if crew members don’t hear anything in the next few days November is gone.  If they plan on quarantining crew for a period of time and still get required training, and other required things before sailing crew needs to be onboard I think 3 weeks before sail.

my suitcases come out the day I leave.

Carnival announced all cruises in November and December were cancelled except select sailings from

Miami and Port Canaveral.  I tried to do a mock booking on their website and it doesnt look they are having any sailings until December 17th or 18th.  I think that date makes sense because it gives time for the order to expire, get people back, and do a test cruise or two.

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

When will people on here get it? there isn't going to be any RCL cruiseships sailing in 2020 ?

I used to think so too, but now I believe if allowed they'll be cruising come November. Money talks.......and there seems to be quite a few people who don't mind wearing a mask onboard.

• Like 2

And yet it goes back to.....how effective are the masks and for all you waiting for a vaccine, how effective will a vaccine be.  Flu vaccines are no guarantee you will not get the flu and a covid vaccine is no guarantee you will not get covid.  The tests are less than accurate and yet everyone feels the vaccine, tests and masks are the ultimate.  No sources to site, I just have heard a lot ad read a lot and watched a lot of taking heads.  Will things get better after Nov. 3, who knows but it cannot get any worse.

• Like 1

An interesting article regarding the present health of the few cruise ships in U.S. waters that have to comply with CDC reporting requirements. Ships not in U.S. waters do not have to report to the CDC so who knows their conditions?  

Assuming it is factual, my concern is that if the cruise lines can't keep their ships healthy when only crew are on board, how will they manager to get back to providing a safe environment to passengers?

https://www.axios.com/cdc-covid-19-cruise-ship-thousands-cases-us-7f942f86-a56d-44bd-a010-5b5d52cf6d96.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On September 30, 2020, the CDC extended the "No Sail" order for cruise ships in the United States for one month, meaning cruises could operate as early as November 1.

This order is in effect until one of the following occurs, according to the CDC:

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • October 31, 2020.

While only extended to the same time that the cruise lines have voluntarily paused operations it is not a clear signal that cruising can resume on Nov.1 as it may have been if the no sail order was not extended.

When all of this started back in March, we had just gotten off a cruise. No one was sick. We figured our Nov cruise was safe. Well that lasted until Aug. Every time you turn around, it seems, they are extending the no sail rule. No our next cruise is on Vision next March, and I am no longer confident in that.

Love your avatar!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

Ur lucky, my DW takes longer.

I wonder if the meeting tomorrow will also have the cruise lines working together to get people back?  Joint flights, putting people on each other’s cruise ships to get them to one point and things like that.

Hmmm....Looks like that White House meeting may not take place....per what's happening at the WH right now !!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WpgCruise said:

An interesting article regarding the present health of the few cruise ships in U.S. waters that have to comply with CDC reporting requirements. Ships not in U.S. waters do not have to report to the CDC so who knows their conditions?  

Assuming it is factual, my concern is that if the cruise lines can't keep their ships healthy when only crew are on board, how will they manager to get back to providing a safe environment to passengers?

https://www.axios.com/cdc-covid-19-cruise-ship-thousands-cases-us-7f942f86-a56d-44bd-a010-5b5d52cf6d96.html

The CDC data is lacking in detail.

"There have been at least 3,689 COVID-19 or coronavirus-like illness cases on cruise ships in U.S. waters"

From when to when?  And why are they counting 'coronavirus-like' cases?  That suggests that the data is very old and pre-dates effective testing, diagnosis, and treatment.    

The order only points to the handful of cases on cruises in Europe and elsewhere that have been well publicized.   

Personally, I hope the CDC is overruled into the future as the tone presented in the order suggests that the presence of even a single case on any cruise ship constitutes a widespread threat to public health.  The order reads almost as if they don't realize the virus has been in the US for 6 months.    

Here's the actual order for anyone interested: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/CDC-NSO-Third-Extension-09-30-2020-p.pdf

The meat, "Findings and Immediate Action" start on pg 18.   

• Like 1