Memories on this Date

bennybear

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Great thread Benybear!

A year ago today we had a "turn-around-day" in Rome.  We stayed on the ship, as there were severe thunderstorms  predicted in the area and we were there several times during that trip.  I had brought 2 collapsible vases and we picked up flowers for the cabin at various ports.  That day we got these flowers in Civitavecchia and had a wonderful dinner in the Tamarind that night.  Sigh....

flowers.jpg

Were  you on the Koningsdam?  The tamarind, sigh! 

Edited by bennybear

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I don't think this is restricted to HAL; let me know if I'm wrong

The more memories the better if you if you ask me!  I won’t tell🤐.  I  actually started this thread in a more general area but knew I could count on people on the HAL board.  I think we all need positive things, more now than ever.

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

The more memories the better if you if you ask me!  I won’t tell🤐.  I  actually started this thread in a more general area but knew I could count on people on the HAL board.  I think we all need positive things, more now than ever.

You are getting great responses on this Forum!  Being a participant in the other Forum, I just could not participate.  I don't have photos that I can easily post.  

Would getting into my relevant journals and sharing what I recorded be acceptable?  If so, would you prefer it to be on this Forum or on the other one?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You are getting great responses on this Forum!  Being a participant in the other Forum, I just could not participate.  I don't have photos that I can easily post.  

Would getting into my relevant journals and sharing what I recorded be acceptable?  If so, would you prefer it to be on this Forum or on the other one?

I’m sure they would be of interest to myself and others.  I think there is a wider audience here,   But feel free to post wherever you choose.    I just like sharing in a positive way,  when I am so missing travel.  I enjoy others pictures and stories very much.

Thank you. 

• Like 3

Three years ago today the Amsterdam was supposed to visit Dutch Harbor. Alaska.  We had to cancel due to the weather so my photos are from my 2013 visit on the Crystal Symphony.

It was a Sunday so I caught a cab to the Unalaska Methodist Church.  It was a pretty plain building but the original Catholic Church was very nice.

holyascension.jpg

Dutch Harbor was an important base in WW2 and here's the visitor center:

ww2visctr.jpg

When ships were smaller there was a shipyard with a marine railway.  It did a lot of work during the war:

marinerwy.jpg

The shipyard was a favorite hangout for eagles:

2eagle.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

16 hours ago, bennybear said:

Stunning!  Was this Michaelangelo

Actually it was by Giambologna, the photo is of the original on display in the Piazza Della Signoria.  It was carved from a single block of marble.  A reproduction is in the Academia where the original David by Michaelangelo is displayed, and conversely a reproduction of David is displayed in the Piazza Della Signoria.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Great thread Benybear!

A year ago today we had a "turn-around-day" in Rome.  We stayed on the ship, as there were severe thunderstorms  predicted in the area and we were there several times during that trip.  I had brought 2 collapsible vases and we picked up flowers for the cabin at various ports.  That day we got these flowers in Civitavecchia and had a wonderful dinner in the Tamarind that night.  Sigh....

We were just getting on for our B2B. 72109989_10157825790002386_6043820877340999680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=f-q1Kj6UHSsAX8wT_HH&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-1.fna&oh=e51b6bed41b3e29d784001c87cc52bf0&oe=5FA55966

• Like 4

Great thread! 

Three years ago today we flew to Quebec City for a three day pre-cruise stay. It was a last minute opportunity for a fall color cruise on RCI Vision of the Seas, and we are grateful to have gotten the chance.

1822886694_137.thumb.JPG.a56f9fde59b55c606fa40b2724cdcec3.JPG

We went for a walk around the lower town that evening, and got our first look at the Rue de Champlain. It was a popular place. We loved it!

970148660_152.thumb.JPG.854da5fd38a2aad585181cdb92b6b56a.JPG

1058986583_155.thumb.JPG.e902ec345e9e3187862627ca6c64c8af.JPG

947107597_163(2).thumb.JPG.8844bf920567ac06f9775c48b82ad173.JPG

112976113_173.thumb.JPG.7f7548bca333879e438de6b34101e4a9.JPG

Thanks for the thread, Bennybear.

Lori & George

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Three years ago today we were in Quebec City.  The weather was terrible, we were drenched but had a great time.

It was late afternoon/early evening when our flight landed, but we saw the remnants of what you experienced.

1820730211_140.thumb.JPG.669675cb57261b1772a966f45d64e08d.JPG

1075081524_141.thumb.JPG.ce3277afde5d419267217cf975d86e44.JPG

Thankfully it cleared up somewhat in the evening. And if memory serves (it doesn't always) it rained all the next day. We can relate to the soggy fun.

Lori & George

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, VintageGeo said:

It was late afternoon/early evening when our flight landed, but we saw the remnants of what you experienced.

Yes!  Luckily we had been there before (it drizzled one of those times) but this was crazy!  I remember going back to the ship just dripping, everything totally drenched, even though I was wearing a raincoat. We hung everything in the shower.  😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes!  Luckily we had been there before (it drizzled one of those times) but this was crazy!  I remember going back to the ship just dripping, everything totally drenched, even though I was wearing a raincoat. We hung everything in the shower.  😄

Wow! Can't say we're sorry we missed that. Sorry that you didn't. 😔

• Like 1

This date 9 years ago I was on a Blount cruise through the Erie Canal New York to Montreal and our destination for the day was Oswego, NY.  It is actually a port for ocean going ships but off limits to most cruise ships since the maximum width of the Seaway locks is 78 feet.  A few very small cruise ships have been there (MV Columbus comes to mind) but not many.  I don't have photos of it but Fort Ontario in Oswego was a World War refuge for about 1000 Holocaust survivors.  I was of course attracted to the fire museum in Oswego:

firemuseum.jpg

And here's the ship with the pilot house in the raised position, prepared to leave the restricted bridges of the canal and enter Lake Ontario.

pilotup.jpg

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

On this day in 2014 we were just arriving in Istanbul for a two night stay on Prinsendam doing a Black Sea- Med cruise.

DSC_0312.JPG

DSC_0340.JPG

DSC_0410.JPG

OMGosh!  We were on the Prinsendam Oct. 5-21, 2014 with the overnight stay in Instanbul, too!  We followed that up with the 14 day Black Sea cruise.  That hooked us on HAL's unique itineraries and the Elegant Explorer.  What a wonderful cruise that was!

• Like 4

I'm thinking my next few posts here will continue to be from my 2011 Blount Cruise New York to Montreal.  On October 9 we cruised the Thousand Islands and upper St. Lawrence River.  The Thousand Islands were a summer retreat for rich New Yorkers in the days before modern activities and many large "cottages" and "castles" were built.  We sailed by Boldt Castle.  Mr. Boldt built  a huge, lavish structure for his wife but simply abandoned the project when she died suddenly.  It sat abandoned for about 60 years but was restored as a museum in the 1970's.  I had visited it on previous trips but we simply sailed by it on this one.  The structure in the foreground is just the boat house:

boldt.jpg

We had some lovely colors in the St. Lawrence at that time:

colors1.jpg

We did visit the Singer Castle, built by the Singer Sewing Machine magnate:

singer2.jpg

Late in the day we passed through one of the locks on the St. Lawrence Seaway:

seawaylock.jpg

Roy

• Like 5