The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 hour ago, rcaruso said:

Hundertwasser Haus, Vienna Austria, Danube?

Correct! Well done. This is the complete photo I took:

220613642_UrlaubApril2013004.thumb.JPG.f88be9aeaca5107f87c338192b4f705c.JPG

The building is so iconic that I did not take a photo and - to be honest - I am not so keen on it. I enjoyed the street layout and the non-fitting red phone box. On the right is a nice bakery, one of many branches of Ströck. I am sure you would have looked this up and found it sooner if I had not cut the "ck" out of the photo.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so I put up with spending half an hour with the tour group - I think all German tours are taken to Hundertwasserhaus. :classic_biggrin: I prefer his other more industrial buildings but overall I prefer the more traditional buildings in the background. As we docked outside of town in Nussdorf, we took the tram into town and on the way passed the Karl-Marx-Haus. It had intrigued me for years, being interested in history of art and architecture. I did not know where it was and then suddenly it appeared outside the tram window. Two of my favourite minutes while staying in Vienna, preferable to Hundertwasser! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Marx-Hof

Next time I am in Vienna I will check out the Secession building which I missed during the short time we had on our river cruise.

Over to you, rcaruso.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
missing word

19 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Correct! Well done. This is the complete photo I took:

220613642_UrlaubApril2013004.thumb.JPG.f88be9aeaca5107f87c338192b4f705c.JPG

The building is so iconic that I did not take a photo and - to be honest - I am not so keen on it. I enjoyed the street layout and the non-fitting red phone box. On the right is a nice bakery, one of many branches of Ströck. I am sure you would have looked this up and found it sooner if I had not cut the "ck" out of the photo.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so I put up with spending half an hour with the tour group - I think all German tours are taken to Hundertwasserhaus. :classic_biggrin: I prefer his other more industrial buildings but overall I prefer the more traditional buildings in the background. As we docked outside of town in Nussdorf, we took the tram into town and on the way passed the Karl-Marx-Haus. It had intrigued me for years, being interested in history of art and architecture. I did not know where it was and then suddenly it appeared outside the tram window. Two of my favourite minutes while staying in Vienna, preferable to Hundertwasser! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Marx-Hof

Next time I am Vienna I will check out the Secession building which I missed during the short time we had on our river cruise.

Over to you, rcaruso.

notamermaid

I saw this building many years ago when on a school choir trip with my daughter.  Viking does not take us there.  But the first time was enough to remember.

5 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

I saw this building many years ago when on a school choir trip with my daughter.  Viking does not take us there.  But the first time was enough to remember.

So you actually knew it! It is definitely memorable. So unlike anything else, a bit extraterrestrial among the typical architecture of 18th/19th century Vienna.

21 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I was actually more curious about the hump in the street than the phone box.... 🙂

Yes, it is weird. And intended by the architect I think.

notamermaid

• Like 1

As to the latest picture:  no clue, but it looks like a church designed by a committee of egoists.  "Oh, so you put four little towers around the main one?  Well then, I'll add two little ones around the apse.  Take that!"

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As to the latest picture:  no clue, but it looks like a church designed by a committee of egoists.  "Oh, so you put four little towers around the main one?  Well then, I'll add two little ones around the apse.  Take that!"

I thought of it as the "more is more" school of thought. LOL

• Like 2

Yes, it’s in the medieval section of Honfleur. I wasn’t sure of the building. I figured you were among the most likely to recognize this one. It was amazing to see so many wooden buildings still standing.

Your turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1