The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

A concert hall turned zoo?? Richard Wagner and the Nibelungen saga?? I choose the second idea as a guess.

By the way, there is also a Roman tower in a private car park underneath a building in Koblenz town centre.

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

A concert hall turned zoo?? Richard Wagner and the Nibelungen saga?? I choose the second idea as a guess.

By the way, there is also a Roman tower in a private car park underneath a building in Koblenz town centre.

notamermaid

I would go the other direction, animals in earlier times and then theatre and music. Also military purposes. So animals, military, music and theatre.

The site was a former quarry - I mentioned that stone has a huge presence here.

Not Germany.

Edited by Coral

8 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

One last try, Felsenreitschule Salzburg Austria or Rock Riding School.

We have a winner!

https://www.salzburg.info/en/magazin/scenes/the-felsenreitschule_a_277727

The two pictures I posted were pointed out as part of Sound of Music filming and made sense for those who probably watched the film. The 2nd picture I posted, I was told that is the exit where the cast fled after their performance (not sure if this was where they really fled in real life when the Von Trapp family fled). I was fascinated by the looks of the first picture (the doors).

My only regret is not going inside. Here is a pic I found on the internet (site above):

0104_felsenreitschule_001@2x.thumb.jpg.8c0dad0a079667462e547dc378774bd7.jpg

Edited by Coral

When that film was first shown in the cinema I was still at school but I had a part time job to scrape together a few pennies for my Lambretta and it was as a cinema usherette with this film showing. I have seen the first half more times than I wish to remember and have never seen the second half. CA

3 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

When that film was first shown in the cinema I was still at school but I had a part time job to scrape together a few pennies for my Lambretta and it was as a cinema usherette with this film showing. I have seen the first half more times than I wish to remember and have never seen the second half. CA

I probably would have taken the picture of the first picture with out knowing what the building was because I found the door unusual, I would not have taken the second picture except the guide pointed out that is the exit they left. 

Edited by Coral

8 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@Canal archive, don't feel bad, I don't think I've seen the whole thing either.  Just never got into it. 🙂

I took the first picture with out knowing what it was and still find the door intriguing (even if it wasn't part of the movie). I wish I had gone into the building! I later saw the picture as part of one of the sites of the movies. I didn't watch the movie close enough to see if that metal door is in the film.

The location seems pretty central in Salzburg. It is not off the beaten path. The concert hall and theatre are very well known. It is used for the Salzburg Music festival.

Edited by Coral

Saint-Emilion -  Garonne river (Dordogne river) - France. We visited in 2005 during our driving holiday through France. Followed the Dordogne almost from beginning to end.

Theo

Edited by Renmar
added info

Whoops slight iPad hiccup and actually had a sleep your absolutely correct Renmar, I nearly said no as I had Cadillac down for that day and then realised it’s not that hilly.

This is one of the usual views.

image.thumb.jpeg.fb366de3f7db75ecb8db1649d6cbe85c.jpeg

pretty little place but a bit hard on the calf muscles.

so your turn Renmar.

• Like 1

OK here is the next one. I had to crop the picture otherwise it would be too easy because the name of the place was on the picture. It is probably still easy for some who have been to this place.

Name the place, city & river to win the right to post the next picture.

Theo

1117383915_P1110126(2).thumb.JPG.cabff6116aff3a6765440c2e417d4314.JPG

1797 - and army uniforms. Without looking into this more deeply I can only think of a battle on the Rhine in that year, but that is comemorated and depicted differently. It was part of the Napoleonic Wars. As it is the same year: has it got something to do with Napoleon?

notamermaid

18 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

1797 - and army uniforms. Without looking into this more deeply I can only think of a battle on the Rhine in that year, but that is comemorated and depicted differently. It was part of the Napoleonic Wars. As it is the same year: has it got something to do with Napoleon?

notamermaid

It might have something to do with that but I think it has not. You mentioned the Rhine River but sorry it is not from there.

Theo

Maybe a little hint is needed. 

We visited this city NOT during a river cruise (never did one as you might remember) but from an excursion when we sailed on a Princess ship around the Baltic. It was an all day trip, 3 hrs. each way on the bus and about 4 hours in the city.

Theo

17 hours ago, Renmar said:

OK here is the next one. I had to crop the picture otherwise it would be too easy because the name of the place was on the picture. It is probably still easy for some who have been to this place.

Name the place, city & river to win the right to post the next picture.

Theo

Poland is not lost yet ... remembering some partition of Poland ? But no idea where