The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Thanks @Renmar, we missed going to this because we spent to long wandering around Zuiderzeemuseum.  It looks really interesting, and merits another trip up when we get back.  One reason why we really appreciated the organised tours....we actually got to see a lot more than if we were on our own as we tend to linger a little long at spots.  🙂

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Vada_10 absolutely no idea but we’re you being entertained with a touch of Opera? CA

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I was thinking in a similar direction, perhaps chamber music somewhere along the Danube?

notamermaid

We are about to be entertained in an Opera House by a young Acrobatic troupe.

Not the Danube.

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Saigon Opera House, Mekong River.

Technically, it is the Saigon River, but our cruise ended at the Mekong delta and we were bused to HCMC. Some lines like Avalon sail right to HCMC. 

52 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I looks very European, I would never have guessed it is not here on my continent, neither looking at the inside nor the outside. Another history lesson in this game. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Don’t forget that the Vietnam was colonized by the French. 

5 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Don’t forget that the Vietnam was colonized by the French. 

Yes, I have just refreshed that part of history lessons, but I have never seen "on-the-ground photos" of Saigon really, so was surprised at the many European buildings.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I looks very European, I would never have guessed it is not here on my continent, neither looking at the inside nor the outside. Another history lesson in this game. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

It was designed and built by the French. I believe back in the day many European performers played here. It is now used by a very good young Vietnamese acrobatic group. Telling stories of old Vietnam.

• Like 1

The tall building to the left of the Opera House is The Caraville Hotel - used by US journalists during the Vietnam War. You can also see where the new Metro/underground is being built - funded by the Japanese.

1 hour ago, vada_9 said:

It was designed and built by the French. I believe back in the day many European performers played here. It is now used by a very good young Vietnamese acrobatic group. Telling stories of old Vietnam.

Impressive. I would never have guessed it.

Edited by Coral

Absolutely correct Capriccio, I showed this photo to a friend in the museum field who had just returned from an amazing month working at Versailles and she had completely missed it. Okay her expertise is not painted ceilings but she will always look up now.

so over to you Capriccio.

10 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I will be out most of the day so I declare a wild card and encourage a 'lurker' to step up!

Provide a picture with the instructions to guess what, where, and on what river.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Absolutely correct Capriccio, I showed this photo to a friend in the museum field who had just returned from an amazing month working at Versailles and she had completely missed it. Okay her expertise is not painted ceilings but she will always look up now.

My first thought was "I have seen a ton of these in Italy" but the more I looked, I recognized the chandeliers as Versailles from my Paris research.

37 minutes ago, Coral said:

My first thought was "I have seen a ton of these in Italy" but the more I looked, I recognized the chandeliers as Versailles from my Paris research.

I thought it might be Versailles, and then from the hint I was sure. But I wanted to give someone else a chance.

• Like 1