The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

5 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I'll take the other one, Switzerland 😁😁. I know, it's not fair.

Theo

Sorry, as you can see, it is Germany. But no trap door will open! :classic_biggrin: They do have some spooky spots in Europa Park, though, especially in October. I got really fed up with all the plastic and felt spiders...

notamermaid

They promote it is the smallest house in the beautiful town of C*****  in the A*****  not far from the river.

My wife (future at that time) and I went to this town in 1965 just before we got married and went back again during our tour of France in 2005 (notice the 40th anniversary). As far as we can tell nothing has changed except there are now a lot more cars and tourists than the first time we went there.

Maybe we should go back there as soon as we are allowed to travel again.

Theo

• Like 1

The story we heard was the house has no street access.  It is like a growth on the side of the other buildings with no inside connection.  To get in you place a ladder up to the window and climb up, then haul the ladder up.

Renmar, I pass the baton over to you.

41 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

The story we heard was the house has no street access.  It is like a growth on the side of the other buildings with no inside connection.  To get in you place a ladder up to the window and climb up, then haul the ladder up.

Interesting - I wonder if this is true (I kinda doubt it). The following site states that you can enter through the house into which it is built. I have no way of knowing as I have not tried to enter.

https://mvdirona.com/2020/01/colmar-france/

In the Middle Ages, the "Fly Box" was used to ensure that traders paid duties. It was destroyed during WWII but rebuilt in 1948.

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

They promote it is the smallest house in the beautiful town of C*****  in the A*****  not far from the river.

Just for the record, it seems to be clear to seasoned travellers :classic_smile:, this is Colmar in Alsace, right? I thought it must be but was not sure at first. I probably passed this unusual building when I was there, but it was DIY, so we had no guide, so I do not know a story about it.

Colmar is splendid, I would love to go back. Alsace is second on my list of places to go to as soon as I can travel again.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Just for the record, it seems to be clear to seasoned travellers :classic_smile:, this is Colmar in Alsace, right? I thought it must be but was not sure at first. I probably passed this unusual building when I was there, but it was DIY, so we had no guide, so I do not know a story about it.

Colmar is splendid, I would love to go back. Alsace is second on my list of places to go to as soon as I can travel again.

notamermaid

@notamermaid You forgot the river:classic_ohmy: now what?

Theo

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

@notamermaid You forgot the river:classic_ohmy: now what?

Theo

LOL. The Rhine.

Edit: As an excursion, of course. I actually never knew that the river that flows through Colmar is the Lauch. If you had asked me I would have said the Ill, like Strasbourg.

Go, ahead, Ritabob was very happy to give you the baton without river. Looking forward to the next photo.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

3 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

LOL. The Rhine.

Go, ahead, Ritabob was very happy to give you the baton without river. Looking forward to the next photo.

notamermaid

I know @Ritabob did, just to try cheer thing up a bit. I have to look tonight for the next photo to post, please have patience. A good night to all of you in Europe.

Theo

1 minute ago, Renmar said:

I know @Ritabob did, just to try cheer thing up a bit. I have to look tonight for the next photo to post, please have patience. A good night to all of you in Europe.

Theo

I got it, should have added a smiley I suppose.

Thank you for the greetings. We have just changed to Summertime so I am a bit livelier than usually at 11.20pm. Have a nice evening.

notamermaid

Country & City. Not on a river but excursions are made to this place.

If you can also name the building then you can post the next picture. I know that some of you have been to this city.

Theo

682052048_P1000122(2).thumb.JPG.e78d3bdf9419b6cb04ed76b60bda2447.JPG  

I have looked at this several times, without any idea, but now suddenly it is here. Switzerland!

The slate roof says West or central Europe, a very old clocktower, but it looks a bit secular, so I say town gate or hall. It is a bell tower, though. The cladding and gable style did it for me to come up with Switzerland.

But perhaps someone will recognize this straightaway.

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I have looked at this several times, without any idea, but now suddenly it is here. Switzerland!

The slate roof says West or central Europe, a very old clocktower, but it looks a bit secular, so I say town gate or hall. It is a bell tower, though. The cladding and gable style did it for me to come up with Switzerland.

But perhaps someone will recognize this straightaway.

notamermaid

It does look like something in Zurich, Switzerland. Though the clock towers I am finding there have a different clock face. Same style.

Edited by Coral

Oh, yeah, Czech Republic, that's a good idea. I can imagine that building in the area.

My second idea was the Netherlands.

There is something odd about the shape, straight on one side, sloping on the other...

Is that cladding painted wood?

notamermaid

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I think your second idea may be correct - Westerkerk Enkhuizen

Correct. The Westerkerk is one of those weird buildings where you wonder from which age the architecture is. Here is an other picture of it to show the different styles.

P1000122.thumb.JPG.a58906a4cb8945f05277165e84cdb053.JPG

Anyway, it is your turn @dogs4fun.

Theo

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Did you visit inside @Renmar? There is a really cool old pipe organ - do you have any photos?

wildcard

No pictures from the inside but there is a website https://westerkerkenkhuizen.nl/ which has some pictures, the text unfortunately it is in Dutch (good for me but not so much for other people).

If you use Google Chrome they can translate the webpage for you, at least on my computer I can.

Let me know if that works for you.

This picture is from their website: 

Orgel.jpg

THIS IS NOT THE WILD CARD PICTURE😉

Theo

Edited by Renmar

42 minutes ago, Renmar said:No pictures from the inside but there is a website https://westerkerkenkhuizen.nl/ which has some pictures, the text unfortunately it is in Dutch (good for me but not so much for other people).

If you use Google Chrome they can translate the webpage for you, at least on my computer I can.

Let me know if that works for you.

Yes, thank you.