Will the cruise lines follow the QANTAS lead on vaccination policy?

SelectSys

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Only a problem of timing -- which has always been the case.  Cruising will restart when it is no longer irresponsible to let it start. Once responsible authorities have decided it is safe, it will be permitted to start.  That may mean that it may restart in some areas before others.

I agree with you that they must wait until it is no longer irresponsible to let it start but we may disagree with when that is!

How long can they wait? When will thoose who are the last in line be able to get vaccinations? March? May? August? Noone know yet.  

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I agree with you that they must wait until it is no longer irresponsible to let it start but we may disagree with when that is!

How long can they wait? When will thoose who are the last in line be able to get vaccinations? March? May? August? Noone know yet.  

Since final approvals are still pending, it is unlikely that any serious commencement of vaccinations can come before January - meaning that March is probably too early to consider - but May or June might be a reasonable date for sufficient vaccinations to have been administered - AND some sort of evidence of vaccination be made standard. 

Of course, it is just speculation - but I would say early Summer is credible target date.  

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Since final approvals are still pending, it is unlikely that any serious commencement of vaccinations can come before January - meaning that March is probably too early to consider - but May or June might be a reasonable date for sufficient vaccinations to have been administered - AND some sort of evidence of vaccination be made standard. 

Of course, it is just speculation - but I would say early Summer is credible target date.  

I don't know what the schedule looks like for the rest of the world, but for the US anyway the most reliable and recent vaccination timelines seem to suggest that they likely won't roll out programs in earnest until the February/March timeframe, and that would be for the most at risk groups. Probably the earliest availability for the rest of us begins in May/June. Assuming two doses, it is possible enough people would be vaccinated to start cruises in late summer or early fall? 

Just my best guess...

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't know what the schedule looks like for the rest of the world, but for the US anyway the most reliable and recent vaccination timelines seem to suggest that they likely won't roll out programs in earnest until the February/March timeframe, and that would be for the most at risk groups. Probably the earliest availability for the rest of us begins in May/June. Assuming two doses, it is possible enough people would be vaccinated to start cruises in late summer or early fall? 

Just my best guess...

I believe this is a good guess - my early summer start-up was a best-case hope.  

3 hours ago, Philob said:

Cruise lines being what they are will vax the crew and dock their pay for the cost 😣 

Nothing wrong with this. The crew will have to pay for the shots themselves in their home countries if they don't get it from cruise lines.

Edited by sfaaa

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Nothing wrong with this. The crew will have to pay for the shots themselves in their home countries if they don't get it from cruise lines.

Really? I think you're neglecting all of the countries with universal health care. There are many countries where immunizations for common illnesses are free.

But I think it is overly optimistic to think the cruiselines would be able to privately source sufficient quantities of the vaccine while it is in short supply; as it will be in the first half year at the very least.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:02 AM, sverigecruiser said:

It depends on when the first cruises are. If only healthcare workers, old and sick are vaccinated requiring vaccination may be a very big problem.

Moderna has 60M doses available right now in the US. High level numbers, that would be 18% of the US. They said they can get another 100M by end of year or early January and enough for the entire country by end of February. Add in Pfizer's and you are looking at 90% of the country vaccinated by the end of February. Now, this is ONLY if the US government wants it. You don't see anyone in government now pushing to have these vaccines approved and out. They just care about the control.

1 minute ago, bigrednole said:

Moderna has 60M doses available right now in the US. High level numbers, that would be 18% of the US. They said they can get another 100M by end of year or early January and enough for the entire country by end of February. Add in Pfizer's and you are looking at 90% of the country vaccinated by the end of February. Now, this is ONLY if the US government wants it. You don't see anyone in government now pushing to have these vaccines approved and out. They just care about the control.

Maybe correct but even if the needed doses are available it can still take time to vaccinate everyone.

We also don't know yet how many doses every person need to get a satisfying protection. 

• Like 1

The UK is beginning the Pfizer vaccinations next week, starting with care home residents, front line workers and then those aged 80+

Scotland says care homes residents/carers will begin on Dec 7th; Northern Ireland mentions NHS workers from Dec 14th or earlier; the other two countries, Wales and England, are just saying next week.

33 minutes ago, jocap said:

The UK is beginning the Pfizer vaccinations next week, starting with care home residents, front line workers and then those aged 80+

Scotland says care homes residents/carers will begin on Dec 7th; Northern Ireland mentions NHS workers from Dec 14th or earlier; the other two countries, Wales and England, are just saying next week.

Read that on the BBC this morning. I expect my dad will be vaccinated possibly before Christmas, as he just turned 89.

• Like 2