River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Not to sure how I would like to be whipped either!  

Dinner is almost ready to pack up and start delivering, the house smells so good from the Sauerbraten and DH wants to start early!  Maybe I can sneak him a piece for a late lunch when we get back...special Easter treat.

Have a great Easter all.

• Like 2

Our Deacon managed to practically dowse the entire congregation at Mass this morning!  His idea of 'sprinkling' is very much the post-Vatican II 'robust symbols' school of liturgy.  But everything about our little parish is robust – our previous pastor used to say "Welcome to St. Mary's Catholic Church and Evangelical Summer Camp!"

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our Deacon managed to practically dowse the entire congregation at Mass this morning!  His idea of 'sprinkling' is very much the post-Vatican II 'robust symbols' school of liturgy.

Was this before or after the Gloria🙂

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Well after the Gloria.  The Asperges Rite comes after the Renewal of Baptismal Promises.

I just checked with my friend who did attend Easter mass in person at our parish church (due to the pandemic, this is the 2nd Easter mass I have missed & the online mass did not include the Asperges Rite). I asked my friend when the Gloria was sung - he told me that it was sung during the sprinkling by our priest. Everything that I have just read online conforms to what you stated - Gloria after the rite. In my ignorance I assumed that the Gloria could be sung before or after the rite.  

I wonder why the Gloria is sung during the rite at my church?

So I looked it up.  Apparently the Roman Missal calls for the sprinkling rite to be used, optionally, to replace the penitential rite – before the Gloria – on the Sundays of Easter.  But there are several liturgical authorities who complain that the introductory rites have become far too long for their importance.  My parish tends to be fairly loose on niceties like that.  In this case, it was used to emphasize the Baptismal promises that it accompanied – and the transition from the Liturgy of the Word to the Liturgy of the Eucharist is a kind of vague area [so many choices of which creed to use, prayer of the faithful, etc.] anyway.  It didn't seem out of place [except that my songsheet was soaking wet when I picked it up for the offertory hymn!]

• Like 1

Gloria (Gloria), I think they got your number (Gloria)
I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (Gloria)
But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?
Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?

Jazz- Not this Gloria, right?  Because this certainly isn't the one that Sister Mary Helen taught us...although with her singing voice, Laura Branigan's version may have sounded better.  😉

And they use so much holy water as they can make more easily, just have to boil the hell out of it.

2 hours ago, ural guy said:

Gloria (Gloria), I think they got your number (Gloria)
I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (Gloria)
But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?
Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?

Jazz- Not this Gloria, right?  Because this certainly isn't the one that Sister Mary Helen taught us...although with her singing voice, Laura Branigan's version may have sounded better.  😉

And they use so much holy water as they can make more easily, just have to boil the hell out of it.

Nor, despite my years of requesting, do we sing 'Jeremiah was a bullfrog' at Christmas or to accompany certain OT readings...

You might like to check this out - we are watching a tv programme - ‘Worlds Most Scenic River Journeys’, this week the Moselle. Hopefully this is the link - 

www.channel5.com/show/worlds-most-scenic-river-channel5

Its a different way of looking at the rivers, very interesting. CA

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Its a different way of looking at the rivers, very interesting.

Sounds a nice programme, other interesting documentaries on the website, too. The website blocks me though as I am not in the UK.

notamermaid

On 4/9/2021 at 1:28 PM, Canal archive said:

You might like to check this out - we are watching a tv programme - ‘Worlds Most Scenic River Journeys’, this week the Moselle. Hopefully this is the link - 

www.channel5.com/show/worlds-most-scenic-river-channel5

Its a different way of looking at the rivers, very interesting. CA

I love channel 5 programming (and British documentaries in general) but, unfortunately, I also cannot access the programs on the site.  From what I read online, it appears that the series will also be available in Canada (doesn't help notamermaid or me though).

https://www.tv-eh.com/2020/12/07/saloon-media-signs-on-to-co-produce-worlds-most-scenic-river-journeys-with-argonons-britespark-east/

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

if you have not had enough of European cathedrals yet, you can have a look at this series starting this Monday:

Oh - that looks very interesting. The Romanesque is showing on PBS tomorrow (according to CPT website) but I can't find it on my cable lineup. 😟

Well, it's not a fancy Audi, but she'll do for me.  Traded in the 2012  Ural for a 2021.  The dealer is in Ohio, so picked it up Friday morning, am putting miles on it (500 so far) with a return to dealer Monday for first service then return to Upstate NY.

Kept old windscreeen, and of course my Irish sheepskin.

The river is the Ohio.  I didn't see any cruise ships but did see a barge.  Trees are blooming.  Spent yesterday bombing through the Kentucky hollows, great curves.ural.thumb.png.aaacc2ec37301c22096ca13ad4b9162f.pngRipley.thumb.jpg.a17edafe97de5357383f7ed618851d46.jpg

And here is Sweet Molly Malone, just last Tuesday.  Wound up with 59,000 kms with no major issues, which is real fine for Russian Iron.  Myself, spouse, kids truly enjoyed her company, bouncy down the back gravel roads.  The looks we would get when we stopped, and people would realize that spouse was knitting socks. 

Waterfall is 1 mile from house, Talcott Falls.  Really neat when the ice forms in winter.

thumbnail_IMG_1368.jpg.64f51a2169f871bcaee947bd88367d35.jpg

• Like 3

That looks like a fun ride, @ural guy!  I looked up where Talcott Falls is and we've been near there. When we did our Western/Northern NY tour last year we drove right by on I-81, on our way to Alexandria Bay. We had planned to stop at Sackets Harbor for some sightseeing but didn't have time. 

I grew up just south of you in Cortland County. Tough part of the state - it is gorgeous in Spring/Summer/Fall but those winters are brutal. Much nicer in Albany without so much lake effect snow.

Enjoy your new ride! Hope the rain isn't too bad today and tomorrow.