River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

I had to look up Skoda Octavia, because I am not familiar with them, but now I'm envious!  That looks like a great car, and you definitely can fit more goodies into it.  I have been a "car gal" for most of my life, and I'm always happy to learn about new ones. 😍

I am sure that one of our rental cars somewhere, was a Skoda Octavia. The name is very distinctive though I don't really remember the car, specifically. 

I'm happy with our RS5 sportbacks. They have great cargo space. We easily fit an 8' Christmas tree in the back.

19 hours ago, TheKingD said:

I had to look up Skoda Octavia, because I am not familiar with them, but now I'm envious!  That looks like a great car, and you definitely can fit more goodies into it.  I have been a "car gal" for most of my life, and I'm always happy to learn about new ones. 😍

Oh I am not sure that you need to be envious, but I am happy to have introduced you to a new type. :classic_smile: It is not flashy, not connected to status and not very fast (there are two types of horse power available for the model, ours is the weaker engine). But it is reliable, pleasant and people who have seen it with the trunk open have been impressed by the size. Perfect for a long trip, just a bit slow on inclines with several passengers and luggage. Dark blue, by the way. Skoda has become a nice mid price range (with also the smaller Fabia) company in Germany, even popular as a taxi in England now, at least in Kent. Czech manufacturing but with a VW engine!

notamermaid

• Like 1

On the Grand Princess right now. We have somewhere between 450-468 passengers (heard both numbers). I didn't go where this ship went - I just need a break from real life. It is a 10 night - today we are in Ensenada, tomorrow at sea and then 2 days in Cabo. We then have San Diego before we return to San Pedro on the 30th.

The ship is a ghost ship. Service is amazing. This is exactly the mental break I needed.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

Advent, Advent, ein Lichtlein brennt. Erst eins, dann zwei, dann drei, dann vier 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️   ...

dann steht das Christkind vor der Tür!

It is Christmas Eve and I need to get ready for typical German celebrations tonight with family and "Kartoffelsalat und Würstchen".

This my light has kept me happy all through Advent and I hope the Christkind likes it, too. My little lamp with lights that I put up last year, just a little closer to the door:

1671345447_DSCN3969-Kopie.thumb.JPG.ebc4fc17486d86931e7b7d41e80cba2b.JPG

And here is my little Christmas story. A bit more than two weeks ago I walked to a local shop and on my way passed a man carrying a Christmas tree. He must have bought it nearby but it was a bit too bulky, so this healthy man had to stop and rest. In that moment this weak woman that is me stopped after a few metres and turned round. I asked him if he perhaps needed a second hand for this tree and he said: " Have you got one?" To which I replied: "Yes." So we took the tree and carried it along the street and round the next corner. We exchanged just a few words and negotiated our way passed parked cars. Then I needed to put the tree down and he was glad to have a few seconds to relax the firm grip of his hands. We smiled and wished each other "Frohe Weihnachten" and went our separate ways again. We shared and lightened the load just for a minute or two but it made me joyous and I have thought about that little moment in time several times since then with a smile on my face.

Frohe Weihnachten to everyone!

notamermaid

• Like 5

On 12/25/2021 at 12:41 AM, notamermaid said:

Oh I am not sure that you need to be envious, but I am happy to have introduced you to a new type. :classic_smile: It is not flashy, not connected to status and not very fast (there are two types of horse power available for the model, ours is the weaker engine). But it is reliable, pleasant and people who have seen it with the trunk open have been impressed by the size. Perfect for a long trip, just a bit slow on inclines with several passengers and luggage. Dark blue, by the way. Skoda has become a nice mid price range (with also the smaller Fabia) company in Germany, even popular as a taxi in England now, at least in Kent. Czech manufacturing but with a VW engine!

notamermaid

I drove a Fabia rental in the UK a few years ago. It was just how you described the Octavia but on a smaller scale. We have Octavias here in Oz but I can't recall seeing any Fabias.

On 12/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

PS – DW and I just got our Moderna boosters.  Waiting for the reaction...  But feeling safer for our Jan. 14 Caribbean cruise!

Following along off topic . . . As you may know, some Caribbean nations and US Territories are refusing entry on a ship by ship basis. The amount of time needed to gain clearance may also be longer than in the past.

Fond memories.

A few Christmas Market trinkets . . . the first ones from a small town at the Inter-German Allied Forces border crossing 50 years ago. This year we didn’t get out our candles and candle holders for the tree; we did light and use candles on our tree for about 40 years.

BE2A0E35-7304-46AE-B76F-5A98466D7143.thumb.jpeg.f8aa8315a06d845d30c337861720bbe0.jpeg

23DB3382-CD6F-4274-986F-3ABF1C77CC73.thumb.jpeg.fdcefc5da185d9985b39b592cd4af541.jpeg

A selection of Glühwein distribution devices. Much more recent acquisitions. 

7F0BCF7B-5F92-4149-9F1C-9856F4A3C638.thumb.jpeg.1853e44ff98582ee33db7fc036993c9e.jpeg

E29015DC-DADF-4C91-B133-C6C20951B3AE.thumb.jpeg.631dc7683fc7eac11191f5ce19a76552.jpeg

Despite my “best” effort, the last photo stubbornly remains upside down. 

• Like 2

What a year it has been - and where has the year gone?? It feels shorter than 12 months, perhaps because I cannot fill it with many memories and events. But there have been good days and despite my assessment in summer in a conversation in the thread "How are things where you are?" that this situation will last into Spring 2022 probably - unfortunately - being a realistic one, I would say we are in a better position than 12 months ago. So many of you have travelled again during the past months, on land trips, ocean cruises and river cruises. A few ships are still sailing now on "my river" before almost all of them will have a winter break. It will be a quiet few weeks but before that the last passengers over New Year's Eve can enjoy the festive lights along the Rhine. I did not get to see the lights and the Christmas markets in Koblenz, in the end, as I had intended to do but an errand did take me to the city centre before Christmas and I strolled along the river bank for a bit. Not good exposure, but this is Ehrenbreitstein Fortress splendidly lit up, with full moon:

561519490_KopieKoblenzIMG.thumb.jpg.0132ca1f6652fd2892120fc350e2a73d.jpg

I hope you all have a great New Year's Eve with food, drink and dear people to celebrate with.

🥳 🎇 🍾

Talk to you next year.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 4

Thanks @notamermaid  Happy New Year – and healthy – and full of travel! – to you and to all!!!

I won't be on 'your' river for a while, but – God willing – I will be on the 'Tulip Time' river system and the Seine this spring.

• Like 2

Alles Gute Zum neven Jahr. Frohes neves Jahr. Gesundes neves Jahr. Notamermaid and thank you for your help and support. Fingers and toes crossed that we all have a wonderful 2022. Jazz enjoy the Seine it’s a superb trip. With not to much rain!

image.thumb.jpeg.f0dc093ea3504527523d5ff8e6f86f9b.jpeg

visiting the cider guy he was something else.

• Like 1

Happy New Year to all! I'm already late with the wishes for our friends in Germany but the wishes are heartfelt nonetheless.

Still a number of hours to go here until 2022 arrives. Let's hope that at some point, it brings a return to the travel experiences that we all love and miss very much.

• Like 7

Happy New Year everyone!

I got home last night after a crazy flight schedule and several cancellations.

I had a great time on the Grand Princess. About 450 passengers and 800 crew on a large ship. Service and crew were amazing. Food was typical Princess. Met some great people. Weather didn't cooperate well but it didn't matter - I really didn't care.

We are supposed to get about 8" of snow between tonight and noon tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. I woke up early and went and got tested for COVID, bought food and ran errands and am hunkered down for the weekend. Just hoping to keep electricity.

• Like 3

Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone. I am a bit slow, recovering from a December that took quite a bit of energy out of me. But fine really and optimistic.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:24 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I won't be on 'your' river for a while, but – God willing – I will be on the 'Tulip Time' river system and the Seine this spring.

Not wanting to be pedantic or anything, but I think the water that has passed by my area can flow under the hull of river cruise ships on the Tulip time itineraries. They use the Rhine Meuse system sometimes, I believe. Not sure where your ship will take you on the canals and the river of course. Anyway, good to read you can look forward to two (!) river cruises this Spring. You had mentioned the Seine plans last year, but I do not recall, are they back to back or two separate occasions?

God willing, I will start the threads on the Danube, Elbe and Rhine later this month and look forward to many comments by my fellow German contributors and all CC friends and newcomers.

:classic_smile::classic_smile:

notamermaid

34 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone. I am a bit slow, recovering from a December that took quite a bit of energy out of me. But fine really and optimistic.

Not wanting to be pedantic or anything, but I think the water that has passed by my area can flow under the hull of river cruise ships on the Tulip time itineraries. They use the Rhine Meuse system sometimes, I believe. Not sure where your ship will take you on the canals and the river of course. Anyway, good to read you can look forward to two (!) river cruises this Spring. You had mentioned the Seine plans last year, but I do not recall, are they back to back or two separate occasions?

God willing, I will start the threads on the Danube, Elbe and Rhine later this month and look forward to many comments by my fellow German contributors and all CC friends and newcomers.

:classic_smile::classic_smile:

notamermaid

Back to back, with a TGV from Amsterdam to Paris – AMA and Scenic happened to link up dates perfectly.

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Back to back, with a TGV from Amsterdam to Paris – AMA and Scenic happened to link up dates perfectly.

TGV into Paris - Sounds great, I would love to do that. After reading so much here on CC about Normandy and people telling me about it as well, the region has become high on my list for places to go. Again, that is, as I have been there but only for 24 hours. It was over 20 years ago but I retain oddly vivid good memories of that short experience.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:41 AM, Canal archive said:

Alles Gute Zum neven Jahr. Frohes neves Jahr. Gesundes neves Jahr. Notamermaid

Thank you. Sending happy and hopeful wishes for 2022 to you.

Wish I could come and see the wide plains near you or the hills of Cumbria. Not so keen on the Southeast these days... Would be nice to roam shops without a certificate and just feel - you know - unrestrained in the best sense.

Oh, nearly forgot, it is the Twelfth Day of Christmas, is it not? Here we do not see it that way generally but 6 January is of course the arrival of the Three Kings (Magi) and marked as Epiphany - in the calendar a holiday in Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg and Saxony-Anhalt as "Heilige Drei Könige". So, no public holiday where I am. It is the day for the young "Sternsinger" to raise money for charity. This is how it is done: https://www.german-way.com/history-and-culture/holidays-and-celebrations/christmas/epiphany-sternsinger/

Wishing you all out there light and hope, song and happiness and lots of travel opportunities this year.

notamermaid

• Like 1