River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

@pacmom Good to hear from you Pat. How good it must have been for the soul to see the new family member I cannot even imagine. 

Hope the weather is improving.

We here are back on storm warning 2 and it has given me a bad sleep. But the temperature is mild. Not freezing at all and no rain of note.

I watch the events in Canada with interest looking towards the big ocean in the West, here from my country that I have nicknamed Germania Absurda. I need to get out, beyond shopping down the road and work. Would love to see the vastness and the huge forests of Canada some time. Here in my relatively crowded Rhine valley, the distances and space in North America become unfathomable.

Still have not talked to the neighbour's cats.

notamermaid

On 2/6/2022 at 11:52 AM, notamermaid said:

Not freezing at all and no rain of note.

Well, that changed quite a bit as the day progressed. Later in the day we had torrential rain, or at least long and heavy rain in many parts of the country. Of the large rivers for river cruising, the Moselle reacted possibly the strongest. There had already been quite a bit of rain going into Sunday along the tributaries in France, so by yesterday evening, Trier gauge had risen from a mean level to mild flooding. The Rhine is still rising at Koblenz for example, although the effect has not been that severe as it started on a level just above the mean. For now, I will leave it at that info. If the high levels persist rather being short-lived, I will write so in the relevant threads.

notamermaid

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

Hoping that we can still visit Slovenia/Croatia in 6 weeks. Cases are going down here. Here's hoping that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the next variant!

The dominoes are falling quickly now.  [Except New Zealand – I wonder if my Jan. 2024 cruise will be able to happen there!]

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The dominoes are falling quickly now.  [Except New Zealand – I wonder if my Jan. 2024 cruise will be able to happen there!]

I think so too... It's just that we've all thought it was going to happen sooner! So I hate to get my hopes up yet again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

NZ has set October 2022 for reopening to international visitors, provided some nasty variant does not raise its ugly head.🤞

New Zealand border will open in stages from end of February, Jacinda Ardern announces | New Zealand | The Guardian

Edited by lyndarra
seriously poor grammar
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I think so too... It's just that we've all thought it was going to happen sooner! So I hate to get my hopes up yet again.

It really, really was looking good last May-July, especially for the vaccinated---life was seemingly returning to normal---damn you, delta/omicron!!

Nighttime has fallen over the Rhineland after a gloriously sunny day with pleasant winter temperatures. People have been out and about for strolls and cycle rides. I have not been very far from home in the last few weeks, but that will come soon hopefully. Meanwhile, here is the second part of my trip to Mayen. Part 1 is post #1417.

A day trip to Mayen part 2

Basalt stone is typical of the area. A monument in front of the castle, when using the entrance into the 17th/18th century part, depicts important aspects, of the town and its surroundings:

DSCN3689.thumb.JPG.b88e15326484015e28ef2d6395daf646.JPG

Inside the partially rebuilt castle (WWII damage) is the Eifel regional museum.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:47 PM, notamermaid said:

If you read the text of the legend you will find out what is underneath the castle, otherwise just stay in suspense till I reveal it (no, it is not gruesome).

A lift takes you down into the vaults underneath, where in the rock are tunnels. In those tunnels the mining museum takes you through the history of extracting slate for tiling outside walls of buildings and roofs: https://www.mayen.de/kultur-tourismus/eifelmuseum/deutsches-schieferbergwerk/

Have a look at the 3D imaging video.

We were unlucky and could not get inside the castle as on that day they had a private function. these are exhibits in the courtyard. A stone depicting the fairy-tale "the frog prince":

IMG_20211001_160055.thumb.jpg.b3caa40113f785cbf45801186cb71473.jpg

Millstone and a slab that had covered of a nobleman's grave:

IMG_20211001_160150.thumb.jpg.30dae5e61bc9603d042f5afeeccbcda1.jpg

And an old milestone showing you the way to Mayen:

IMG_20211001_160246.thumb.jpg.85ab9a3ebf954fb284056e188d930a92.jpg

So we decided to explore Mayen a bit, found a great treasure trove-like antiques shop, got meat from the family butcher's and checked out the market square with its unusual church spire:

558354220_DSCN3691-Kopie.thumb.JPG.8ecc126dd6c93b5c3b76cd4fe781b98e.JPG

Being a bit peckish, we looked for pastry or cake and found a bakery. On this thread here we have talked about Schweinsöhrchen before. They had small ones without chocolate. The taste was okay but I will stick to chocolate-coated ones in future. Nearby and also at the market square is a coffee shop with gift shop that also had a few specialities. This one in the photo, a Linzer Törtchen which is a small version of Linzer Torte, was more to my liking:

IMG_20211002_004448.thumb.jpg.36aa2ffd78f45b0de7eb701046bc18fd.jpg

It was time to head home at this point. If you happened to be in the area, this would be a nice small town for a stop. By public transport, Mayen is accessible both on the train and by bus from Andernach. There is also a regular bus service from Koblenz.

notamermaid

• Like 1

@notamermaid and all, here's something to cheer you up:

During the pandemic, the animals in the Cologne Zoo in Germany were depressed and never left their dens. Nobody went there anymore, neither children nor adults.   The zoo remained empty so the zookeeper called pianist Thelonious Herrmann to play for them.  He composed this piece especially for the animals.   See what happened.  [Be sure to watch to the very end]

[PS – Is Thelonious a common German name?  Or do you think he was named after the great American Jazz composer Thelonious Monk?]

• Like 13

It wasn't me, it wasn't me. Jazzbeau gave us this lovely video. 🙂

That sure is a most unusual first name that I have never heard before. Thelonious is a student of music in his home town Cologne. He says in an interview that he comes from a musical family, so (my guess) perhaps the parents chose that name for  him with this background. He has been around Europe with his piano and calls his outdoor concerts "Stadtgeklimper', this means town jingling. Normally a word that has negative connotations, but he obviously uses it a bit tongue in cheek, I mean he is very musical. He says he started playing at the age of five.

notamermaid

German to Latin. Interesting. German website says the name is in 223rd place as regards popularity as a boy's name in Germany. Looking up names and their origins is fun and entertaining I find. And sometimes there is a huge story behind it. Which brings us to today. Valentine! ❤️❤️

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Grammar

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Whoops what a mistaka to makea, so sorry Jazz, I absolutely loved it. It’s interesting looking up the name Thealonius, German origin but Latinized.

Thank you Captain Bertorelli.  Good moaning to you!

7 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Really nice, Jazz! The sea lion takes the cake for sure. Though I suspect the goats were more interested in eating the piano, instead of listening to it.

That was my thought too [about the goats]...

Storms over Germany. Woke me up several times. @Canal archive this is called Dudley with you I have read, here it has been given the name Ylenia: 

https://www.dw.com/en/storm-ylenia-latest-high-winds-slam-northern-germany/a-60807818

The AidaPrima has been affected by this. As the maritime part of the Elbe is for safety reasons blocked for large vessels, the cruise ship cannot sail to Hamburg harbour. She is cruising at slow speed near Heligoland, had to skip Southampton port and was due to get to Hamburg to avoid the storm. That did not work out. The storm will subside during the afternoon, but another storm is coming tomorrow.

In my urban environment there is little damage.

Hope things are okay with you Canal archive.

notamermaid

None in our area but rubbish bins not put out last night just in case they got blown all over the place, It did blow but no damage locally that I can see. Evidently the Solant was a no go area which explains skipping Southampton, attempting that entrance with tricky winds can be a tad intimidating.

We lived in Warsash for quite a few years and I used to help keep the yachting maps around the Med up to date.

Edited by Canal archive

The Solent is a special kind of water and I gather the estuary towards Southampton behaves similarly to the Elbe. The storm, now on category 4 there, is pushing the water into Hamburg.

I have just returned from shopping. We are in category 3 and it is certainly unpleasant out there. Time for a cup of tea and some biscuits, while listening out for unusual clattering noises (roof tiles). Car parked safely away from trees and dustbins are thankfully sheltered from gusts of wind.

I read that the Humber Bridge has been closed off. A fascinating structure but definitely not a good one to be on in high winds. Been on it in calm weather a couple of times.

notamermaid

We’re in a bit of a lul at the moment but we’ve lost several 6ft fence panels and posts so not to bad so far. The Millennium dome in London has lost some of its roof and I’m glad not to be flying there’s film of planes attempting to land at Heathrow and some giving up to try again. Keep safe all.

On 1/25/2022 at 4:00 AM, Canal archive said:

Yup CPT Trips, Mods, and lyndarra that’s my bike a Lambretta GT 200 but no lights or wimp screen. I’m not to sure now how I drove it wearing a micro mini skirt and kinky boots. The members of our scooter club where also volunteer ‘blood bike drivers’ another name ‘emergency bike drivers’ along with the local Rockers!

On 1/25/2022 at 12:10 PM, Wings55 said:

OK @Canal archiveI think that post now requires a photo! 😊

On 1/25/2022 at 1:03 PM, Canal archive said:

If I can find one, will look.

I, for one, am impatiently waiting. 😉

• Haha 2

On 2/8/2022 at 4:35 PM, jpalbny said:

Hoping that we can still visit Slovenia/Croatia in 6 weeks. Cases are going down here. Here's hoping that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the next variant!

Things appear to be looking good for your trip, I think.  We were able to visit both in Sept 2019 (the before times) and really enjoyed ourselves.  We had been to Yugoslavia for long weekends back in late 80's (Portoroz), and it was neat to see the changes.  So much history in that region.  Fingers crossed you have a safe trip, and that spring has lots of flowers blooming for you.

Portuguese Health Minister has announced easing of restrictions, and hotels/restaurants are accepting the US Paper vaccine shot record.  The current regulation as written only allowed the EU covid passport, which we can't get (understandable); so we'd have to test every 72 hrs.

We're slated to go to Portugal/Spain 11 Apr, and are lined up to do a section of the Camino de Santiago.  Still on fence if we'll stay with that plan, which requires missing 4 weeks of work, or reworking the trip to 3 weeks and staying in Portugal.  We retire in a few years and the Camino may have to wait until we have more time.  And if anyone is wondering, yes, I'm paying for the service that schleps your main bag from hotel to hotel, so you're just carrying a day pack.  No albergues (pilgrims hostel), we both were in service and have had our fill of bunk bed communal living.

SO, it wasn't a pilgrimage for piety, but to clear the mess of the past 2 years from our heads.

Airfare is with United, and being able to change airfare is the only positive I can think of regarding the pandemic and travel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1