Ten Awful Destinations

clueless2

Wow, I did visit Ambergris Caye back in 2000 and it was pretty nice. Shame to see overdevelopment happen there. As for Iceland, I didn't find it ridiculously expensive like the author did. Granted, I live in a metro area that's among the top 5 cost-of-living wise in the US. But the cost of a meal in Iceland already includes tax and there is no tipping in Iceland. A $15 burger in DC/NY would end up close to $20 after tips and taxes.

36 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Wow, I did visit Ambergris Caye back in 2000 and it was pretty nice. Shame to see overdevelopment happen there. As for Iceland, I didn't find it ridiculously expensive like the author did. Granted, I live in a metro area that's among the top 5 cost-of-living wise in the US. But the cost of a meal in Iceland already includes tax and there is no tipping in Iceland. A $15 burger in DC/NY would end up close to $20 after tips and taxes.

I agree that Iceland is ridiculously expensive, we had a $30 burger there but for us it is is still one of the best destinations we have been to.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Certainly agree with Phuket and Cancun. 

It is not that Phuket was awful but compared to other beautiful places in Thailand it ranks as our least favourite area in the country. 

Too crowded, too tourist, too everything.   

Same for Cancun.  The city hold no attraction for us. .   A few miles down the coast to Puerto Morelos of over to Merida and we are happy campers.

It is all relative to the environs.

Edited by iancal

I loved anything actively volcanic so I am a big fan of Iceland.  I find the expense argument weird - didn't he do his research?  I guess he would have been very upset if there had been a major eruption while there, as a matter of fact, he might have been surprised

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

We have a time share in Cancun. We find it a beautiful get away. We basically stay in the hotel zone and don’t frequent sleaze joints or this areas. Some great restaurants and venue’s around new hotel zones.

Like any city it pays to be alert, smart and cautious and aware of your surroundings.

• Like 3

Awful?  I am unsure that I can say that one place was the absolute worst.  There are places/ports that I don't particularly wish to visit again nor support their economy.  Jamaica's ports are foremost in mind.  

One's experiences in any given port/city/resort at any given time can vary greatly.  I can have an excellent experience at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale.  Another guest staying there at the same time consider it was a "vacation experience from hell".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

Any place where the daily load of cruise ship passengers(10,000 or more) exceeds the local population.

St. Thomas

St. Martin

Ketchikan

Skagway

Cozumel

Belize

Colon

etc.

etc.

etc.

We were at Philipsburg in 2019, on board the Koningsdam. We hired a driver, and he was saying that we were a couple of days ahead of all the other ships...We were the only ship in port! It was fabulous!

L.

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Awful?  I am unsure that I can say that one place was the absolute worst.  There are places/ports that I don't particularly wish to visit again nor support their economy.  Jamaica's ports are foremost in mind.  

One's experiences in any given port/city/resort at any given time can vary greatly.  I can have an excellent experience at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale.  Another guest staying there at the same time consider it was a "vacation experience from hell".

Well to emphasize your point that experiences can differ, we had a great time when we disembarked in Jamaica and took the Bob Marley bus excursion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Well to emphasize your point that experiences can differ, we had a great time when we disembarked in Jamaica and took the Bob Marley bus excursion.

I appreciate reading your post.  I have heard others on other message boards who were very satisfied with that excursion.  If I get back to that island, I will try to remember to try this.  I do remember it being offered on past cruises, but not being a Bob Marley fan, had no interest at the time of booking it.  

On 1/5/2021 at 9:39 AM, Aquahound said:

I didn't know Highlands Ranch, CO was a destination.  I actually have family there and I think it's a nice little town.  

Totally agree about Cancun though.  

Yeah, Highlands Ranch doesn't fit as a destination spot! We lived just over the county line in Centennial for over 30 years. The area was nice before the city of Highlands Ranch was developed; it just wide open ranch land. A huge historic ranch house there was the setting for the Venneford Ranch home in the movie "Centennial." (I never imagined I would be posting about Highlands Ranch on cruise critic!)

• Like 3