VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I know that polls indicate that 30-40% of people say that they will not get the vaccine, but I do not believe this will actually be the case in the end.  As we all know, people often say one thing in polls and do another (at one time I conducted consumer research studies and quickly found this out and we had to adjust our procedures to account for this). Also, once people see/hear their friends and relatives getting the shot and having no ill effects, I think they will change their minds.  

I sure hope I am correct in this, as we need to get as many people as possible on the vaccine.  For the record, we received our shots two days ago and have not experienced any ill effects.

I think you are correct in your assumption DaveOKC. Case in point: we have a good friend who is a retired nurse--she originally said she'd "wait 6 months to see what would happen before getting it", now once several of us were fortunate to get the shot this week with minimal side effects,  she's already got an appointment to receive hers. Here's hoping that's the case with many more people!!

• Like 2

If the current trend continues, more and more people will personally know someone in their family, a co-worker, or neighbor who's died from Covid or had serious complications.  It will become more personalized and real to them.  

We were supposed to go back to the office to work the week of November 30, then it was moved to January 19, and now it's May 24.  This all shows me there's an acknowledgement that the vaccine is not going to be widely available anytime soon.  Most of the workforce is under 65, so until that group is vaccinated, I don't see things returning to any semblance of normal, unless the virus burns itself out.

Here in TN the vaccination program is moving at an abysmally slow pace.  I'm 68 and don't see how I'm going to get vaccinated until summer.  

• Like 1

Here in Arizona the vaccine is being offer for group 1B which included those 75 and over, that would be me. Problem it is by appointment only. There are no appointment slots available on either the State site4 or the private sites for the month of January and we can't look at Feb. yet. Despite this the governor says there is vaccine available and is opening up to allow those 65 and over to register on 01/19. A lot of front line workers and us 75 and over with pre-existing conditions have not been able to secure an appointment.

We are considered to be the "hot spot" in the nation and frequently the "hot spot" in the world so we need those appointment slots opened asap..

7 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Here in Arizona the vaccine is being offer for group 1B which included those 75 and over, that would be me. Problem it is by appointment only. There are no appointment slots available on either the State site4 or the private sites for the month of January and we can't look at Feb. yet. Despite this the governor says there is vaccine available and is opening up to allow those 65 and over to register on 01/19. A lot of front line workers and us 75 and over with pre-existing conditions have not been able to secure an appointment.

We are considered to be the "hot spot" in the nation and frequently the "hot spot" in the world so we need those appointment slots opened asap..

My DIL is an elementary school teacher and she got her vaccine at the Arizona Cardinals stadium Phoenix yesterday. She said it was very efficient.

When you say "register on 1/19" she was told to register on a certain day but she said the registration online opened up early. So maybe try on 1/18 at hourly intervals?

We are in LA County and I read there are 500,000 health workers to be vaccinated before they start on over 75s. They are requesting more vaccine.

6 hours ago, wesport said:

In Florida snowbirds and tourists(even non US) over 65 are getting the vaccine while Florida residents over 65 are waiting. One report was that 6000 people from Kentucky over 65 have been vaccinated. I am 64 and fear it will be quite awhile while I wait for the vaccine. Has been chaotic to say the least. 

@wesport, do you happen to know why the great disparity between counties there?  My cousin, who lives in Dade county, is 70 and is neither a health-care worker nor a first responder nor does he have any co-morbidities.  Yet he got his first shot three days ago. 

8 hours ago, wesport said:

In Florida snowbirds and tourists(even non US) over 65 are getting the vaccine while Florida residents over 65 are waiting. One report was that 6000 people from Kentucky over 65 have been vaccinated. I am 64 and fear it will be quite awhile while I wait for the vaccine. Has been chaotic to say the least. 

If I lived in FL that would make me really mad.  And I have friends and relatives in FL who are waiting for theirs too.  Each state is given a set number for their population, but FL is giving vaccinations to anyone who asks no matter if they're not even US citizens??  

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

If I lived in FL that would make me really mad.  And I have friends and relatives in FL who are waiting for theirs too.  Each state is given a set number for their population, but FL is giving vaccinations to anyone who asks no matter if they're not even US citizens??  

Here in Ohio we have vaccinated 13,283 non Ohio residents.   Another 7805 have residency unknown.  I'm guessing that every state has some vaccine recipients from out of state.  Florida may be the most publicized because of snowbirds.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dfish said:

Here in Ohio we have vaccinated 13,283 non Ohio residents.   Another 7805 have residency unknown.  I'm guessing that every state has some vaccine recipients from out of state.  Florida may be the most publicized because of snowbirds.

Thanks Debbie.  Silly me, I thought people had to show residency. I read that but now I don't remember where...

16 minutes ago, dfish said:

Not that I am defending this, but some of out of state residents could be traveling medical staff working in hospitals and related, particularly as those are essential workers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks Debbie.  Silly me, I thought people had to show residency. I read that but now I don't remember where...

Got an email from the county health department to register for the vaccine and they are requiring proof of residency.  So, I guess it all depends.  

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not that I am defending this, but some of out of state residents could be traveling medical staff working in hospitals and related, particularly as those are essential workers.

I figured many lived near the boarder and perhaps worked in Ohio, but lived in Pennsylvania, West Virginia or Kentucky.   

34 minutes ago, dfish said:

Got an email from the county health department to register for the vaccine and they are requiring proof of residency.  So, I guess it all depends.  

Wow.  Thanks for posting that.  It does seem like each county is doing whatever they want.  Here we can't even sign up until the phase we'll be in has started (ours should start next week).  

59 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Wow.  Thanks for posting that.  It does seem like each county is doing whatever they want.  Here we can't even sign up until the phase we'll be in has started (ours should start next week).  

Here is a link for the Washington Department of Health "Phase Finder" for the vaccine. After filling out the from and finding out I was not eligible (I already knew this) it gave me the option to leave an email address or phone number for an email or text when I was eligible. I think most of Washington State is in 'wait mode'.

Phase Finder / Encuentra Tu Fase (findyourphasewa.org)

Edited by HAL4NOW

7 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Here is a link for the Washington Department of Health "Phase Finder" for the vaccine. After filling out the from and finding out I was not eligible (I already knew this) it gave me the option to leave an email address or phone number for an email or text when I was eligible. I think most of Washington State is in 'wait mode'.

Thanks, I did the same thing. I have a feeling I’ll know before they email or call me. 😉 Just watching everything. 😄

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks, I did the same thing. I have a feeling I’ll know before they email or call me. 😉 Just watching everything. 😄

I filled it out and I'm not (currently) eligible either, although my age should help when next tier starts.  My healthy, retired 70-year-old (younger than I am) cousin in Florida got his first one last week ☹️.

17 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

I filled it out and I'm not (currently) eligible either, although my age should help when next tier starts.  My healthy, retired 70-year-old (younger than I am) cousin in Florida got his first one last week ☹️.

Yes, I have friends and relatives in other states (including FL) who are younger than I am (I'll be 70 in a few days), have no health issues, and have gotten theirs. Some have said it was pure luck getting through on the phone line, others had no problem at all.   Meanwhile I have other friends who have a ton of health issues, not 70 yet, and can't get theirs here in our state.  

• Thanks 1

Do not think that the US is the only country having issues.

In Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, there are no vaccines whatsoever for a city of + 1 million.

There were some 2 weeks ago, most in LTC got the 1st Pfizer dose and some health care workers and first responders.

Now, none and none anticipated for a while. The public health telephone line says if and when more doses, will be only for 2nd shot dosing.

So nothing happening here, and the spacing between the 1st and 2nd dose is up in the air.

F for fail.

On 1/16/2021 at 10:17 AM, ScottishMaid said:

My DIL is an elementary school teacher and she got her vaccine at the Arizona Cardinals stadium Phoenix yesterday. She said it was very efficient.

When you say "register on 1/19" she was told to register on a certain day but she said the registration online opened up early. So maybe try on 1/18 at hourly intervals?

We are in LA County and I read there are 500,000 health workers to be vaccinated before they start on over 75s. They are requesting more vaccine.

I have been registered since 01/11, I just can't find an open slot to make an appointment. I am continuing to check about 4 times every day. If I can't find a slot by the 19th I will call the 211 emergency number again and ask them to make an appointmnet for me.  Please wish me luck.

• Like 1

It looks like WA state just updated their Phase Finder Tool a couple hours ago. This one asks for health conditions plus the other questions.  After filling it out, it says I'm eligible now -- but all the vaccination sites say we're still on phase 1a (and those are filled up) so will be patient awhile longer.  This is brand new, probably all the sites haven't been updated yet.  Meanwhile DH and I printed out our "You are eligible" messages that are required when you go to your appointment.    https://www.king5.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/phasefinder-tool-covid-19-vaccine-eligibility/281-f2d39828-4015-4ce9-8333-19c5897fd669

16 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

It looks like WA state just updated their Phase Finder Tool a couple hours ago. This one asks for health conditions plus the other questions.  After filling it out, it says I'm eligible now -- but all the vaccination sites say we're still on phase 1a (and those are filled up) so will be patient awhile longer.  This is brand new, probably all the sites haven't been updated yet.  Meanwhile DH and I printed out our "You are eligible" messages that are required when you go to your appointment.    https://www.king5.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/phasefinder-tool-covid-19-vaccine-eligibility/281-f2d39828-4015-4ce9-8333-19c5897fd669

Good Luck!  Thats way ahead of us technology wise.

• Thanks 1

My DH and I received our shots today. On Wednesday evening, I was checking and some slots had opened up here in Tulsa. I signed us both up. We were there before our scheduled time but the only thing they checked at the door was our confirmation note showing the date and name. In all, it took  a little over an hour. The lines were long but moved pretty steadily. It seems pretty hit or miss about finding an open time slot. Whenever I had the computer up, I would check and there they were, open slots.Go figure.