VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I think much of this disease and the immune response to this disease is pure and simple genetics, if so, then the vaccine response would be tied to genetics also.    I heard that supposition from a physician early on in this crisis. Didn't the Chinese say long ago that they found men fared better than women?

Yes, I think it was actually the opposite --women fared better than men, at least in those early cases from China. I remember a bit later there was a hypothesis that one reason for the difference in outcomes might be that far more men than women in China are smokers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

In my sisters case ,she is 74  with a very low immune system (she cannot tolerate a lot of medicines ,she has passed out  frequently ie --now getting a barrage of tests  to find causes  ) but ,she had 48 hours of bad side effects from the 2nd Pfizer  vaccine injection  .she was in bed 2 days  .Thus ,it is not really true that the older people might not get those side effects .We truly are all different .

The fact that your sister cannot tolerate certain medications has nothing whatsoever to do with her immune response. Vaccines and therapeutics (medicines) are very different. A vaccine like the one for coronavirus is meant to stimulate your body's immune response. Medications are given to treat a specific condition or disease or symptom by their actions on various body systems.

My parents are 89 and 94 and had two doses of the Pfizer vaccine. My father (94) had little or no side effects with either dose. My moher (89) experienced some of the normal effects with the first dose but fewer with the second. 

Here is a good explanation of the issue regarding vaccinations not being as effective in the elderly due to the decreased immune response:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20201013-why-older-people-are-harder-to-vaccinate

• Like 5

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Actually doctors think it is the opposite. If you have a robust immune system, you are more likely to experience some of the side effects that are related to the typical response to infectious diseases (e.g., flu) such as a fever, muscle soreness, tiredness. 

Very interesting, and I give it credibility coming from you.  Your posts on the subject have always been factual and informative.  Several of us at work (early 60's) had the pfizer in January.  After the 2nd dose I was ridiculously fatigued the next day, to the extent I missed part of a day of work & was in bed for the night by 6pm.  I believe my immune system is very strong - never catch any colds, flu (no vaccine), or other communicable crap, even when I'm around others or hubby has any of them.  I get breast cancer every 8 years (3 times so far, hoping to break that pattern in 2025/26) but that's not something you "catch".  My best friend was perfectly fine, but he's down with colds, sniffles, whatever pretty often.  His wife is rarely sick - the 2nd vaccine knocked her down.  Granted, nothing applies to ALL situations, but there seems to be some merit to this - thanks 🙂

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

Have been checking for the availability for the JnJ  one shot vaccine up to 50 miles from where we live  here in Encinitas ,San Diego  north county  & still no availability  . 

Getting resigned to the fact that we may be able to get vaccinated by the end of May   or June when there should be a surplus of vaccine 

16 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Starting on March 22 people 60 and older are eligible for the vaccine.  I’m hoping that my provider or Walgreens will get the J&J and then I’ll get it done.

We also check the CVS web site , no available vaccines comes up repeatedly 

11 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We also check the CVS web site , no available vaccines comes up repeatedly 

A friend of mine here in 4S Ranch/Rancho Bernardo mentioned this to me today..

"Went onto CVS website after midnight and was able to schedule 1st and 2nd shots in Escondido".

Perhaps this strategy will work for you as well.. Good luck! 🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

"Went onto CVS website after midnight and was able to schedule 1st and 2nd shots in Escondido".

Thanks will try  after midnight 

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Starting on March 22 people 60 and older are eligible for the vaccine.  I’m hoping that my provider or Walgreens will get the J&J and then I’ll get it done.

My Sister who lives in NC was able to get J&J at her local Walgreens.  At the time she called they were giving Moderna.   She gave them a call several weeks ago and they put her on a list to call her for when they received J&J.  She was hesitant on Moderna and Pfizer because she seems to get reactions and felt more confident getting J&J.  She had it last Friday and had the "normal" chills and headache for about 24 hours.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Called 211 San Diego for assistance .This is a volunteer group  that works with the county  * she said that the vaccines are in short supply .They have us on record when the vaccine is available ,we will be notified 

• Like 1

Can't find a vaccination?  Find out where there are lots of anti-vaxxers and try to secure an appointment there.

We have counties here in NC that are vaccinating anyone over the age of 18, no health requirements at all.  And at least one county, since it is using Pfizer, that is vaccinating anyone over the age of 16.  These counties need to do this to avoid having vaccines go bad since there aren't enough takers.  Meanwhile, our home county, which is very vaccine conscious, still has a considerable waiting list for people over age 65.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

Can't find a vaccination?  Find out where there are lots of anti-vaxxers and try to secure an appointment there.

We have counties here in NC that are vaccinating anyone over the age of 18, no health requirements at all.  And at least one county, since it is using Pfizer, that is vaccinating anyone over the age of 16.  These counties need to do this to avoid having vaccines go bad since there aren't enough takers.  Meanwhile, our home county, which is very vaccine conscious, still has a considerable waiting list for people over age 65.

Our health depts. here in the Coastal Empire only schedule 8 days out, and we are still in group 1b.  But I went into the local health dept website and discovered they have a waitlist for people to call if they have doses left over at the end of the day, vials that have been opened and have to be used or tossed.  My niece, who lives with me, is far from an eligible group.  I signed her up a week ago Monday, she was very skeptical.  A week later, last Monday, she got the call.  Second Moderna dose will be 4/15, her birthday.  You had to live within 30 min. of the center.  We are 5 min. away...  EM

• Like 1

So it seems that there is absolutely no consistancy   betweeb states in how ^ to whom the vaccines are given , Here in Calif ,the state voters have a recall petitioning with now 2,000,000  signatures  to recall Gavin Newsom ,gov of Calif . all it takes is 1, 500,000 registered voter signatures to reall him & replace him . 

I personally believe that among all the things Gavin Newsom screwed  up ,the vaccine distribution was one of them .    

We want the  JnJ vaccine because of our ages & underlying medical problems .  I have to get evaluated for a mobile scooter & the only evaluation is at a hospital .Obviously ,i would not go to any hospital stting unless I was vaccinated . hospitals are petrie dishes 

51 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

So it seems that there is absolutely no consistancy   betweeb states in how ^ to whom the vaccines are given , Here in Calif ,the state voters have a recall petitioning with now 2,000,000  signatures  to recall Gavin Newsom ,gov of Calif . all it takes is 1, 500,000 registered voter signatures to reall him & replace him . 

I personally believe that among all the things Gavin Newsom screwed  up ,the vaccine distribution was one of them .    

We want the  JnJ vaccine because of our ages & underlying medical problems .  I have to get evaluated for a mobile scooter & the only evaluation is at a hospital .Obviously ,i would not go to any hospital stting unless I was vaccinated . hospitals are petrie dishes 

Lets stay away from politics, especially when you aren't correct. The signatures only get the recall on the ballot...doesn't assure he will be replaced. The possible replacing will be determined by a popular statewide vote.

By reducing yourself only to J&J, you aren't helping yourself get the vaccine, at least not any quicker. J&J rolled out later, has had production issues, and will not complete it's committed production any sooner than Pfizer and Moderna. J&J is only doing 100mil doses in the near future, Moderna and Pfizer are committed to 300 million doses each by June 1. So, essentially you have, at best, a 1 in 3 chance of getting J&J, and probably more like 1 in 4.

Plus, only checking places like CVS is also limiting your chances of getting an appointment. While there are a good number of CVS and similar pharmacies, like Safeway/Vons, their physical work areas are very small. I know the CVS around here are only looking to do 10-12 vaccines per day, just because they don't have the room to do more. And the Safeway we got our shingles shots at would struggle seriously to do 3 people an hour, tops.

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Lets stay away from politics, especially when you aren't correct. The signatures only get the recall on the ballot...doesn't assure he will be replaced. The possible replacing will be determined by a popular statewide vote.

By reducing yourself only to J&J, you aren't helping yourself get the vaccine, at least not any quicker. J&J rolled out later, has had production issues, and will not complete it's committed production any sooner than Pfizer and Moderna. J&J is only doing 100mil doses in the near future, Moderna and Pfizer are committed to 300 million doses each by June 1. So, essentially you have, at best, a 1 in 3 chance of getting J&J, and probably more like 1 in 4.

Plus, only checking places like CVS is also limiting your chances of getting an appointment. While there are a good number of CVS and similar pharmacies, like Safeway/Vons, their physical work areas are very small. I know the CVS around here are only looking to do 10-12 vaccines per day, just because they don't have the room to do more. And the Safeway we got our shingles shots at would struggle seriously to do 3 people an hour, tops.

The county  through volunteers is telling us that the vaccines are very scarce in SD county  .We are listed woth them .Best we can do now  . The JnJ is imo best for us because of our ages  . There have been some more than just headaches & chills ie with the other  vaccines ,you just don;t hear about then 

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

The county  through volunteers is telling us that the vaccines are very scarce in SD county  .We are listed woth them .Best we can do now  . The JnJ is imo best for us because of our ages  . There have been some more than just headaches & chills ie with the other  vaccines ,you just don;t hear about then 

I read today that supply of JnJ in California is supposed to increase next week.  In addition to supplies being short in California, the state is reserving 40% of the available vaccine for low income communities and 10% for teachers.  So for non teachers in non low income areas, it is hard to get a shot.

3 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

I read today that supply of JnJ in California is supposed to increase next week.  In addition to supplies being short in California, the state is reserving 40% of the available vaccine for low income communities and 10% for teachers.  So for non teachers in non low income areas, it is hard to get a shot.

That is odd.  That is clearly it following the science.  The CDC gave clear guidelines.  Our state made only one minor adjustment but nothing that radically divergent 

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We want the  JnJ vaccine because of our ages & underlying medical problems .

There is literally no data to back up your "feeling" about the J&J vaccine being better for the elderly and frail. You really should NOT limit yourself to it, as the consequences of delaying getting the vaccine (and thus risking COVID) are much higher for your age group -- and that IS verified. COVID is more deadly in the elderly.  A few side effects are nowhere near the same thing.

Please read this, from  https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2021/01/vaccine-older-adults.php

Why should older adults get vaccinated? Should they be worried if they have any underlying health conditions or are frail?

It’s been known since the beginning of the pandemic that older people are at very high risk of severe COVID-19 outcomes—and even death. In Utah, data over the last year shows 70 percent of deaths from COVID-19 have been in people age 65 and older—over 1,500 deaths total. Age is a strong risk factor in bad outcomes in COVID-19. This is why it’s extremely important for older adults to get the vaccine as soon as possible. People who are in this age group—who have multiple chronic conditions, who may be frail, or living in a nursing home—all the more need the vaccine. The data we have at this point suggests the two vaccines (Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech) that are available are extremely safe and well tolerated in this age group.

Also:

Side effects are more commonly reported among younger people and typically occur 12-24 hours after vaccine administration. Side effects include fever, fatigue, headache, and muscle aches.... These side effects are minimal and short-lived. It’s well worth receiving the vaccine instead of getting infected with COVID-19.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

My nephew in PA is a teacher’s asst., immune compromised...  Teachers are now being vaxed with J&J...and they have all has much worse reactions than family members who have got Pfizer or Moderna.  EM

What sort of sample size are we talking here?

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

To further this illustration, I checked our local numbers this morning. So far in March, my county has received total, about 23K doses of Moderna and Pfizer, but only about 2600 doses of J&J. I am sure San Diego's ratio is about the same. So, if you consider J&J is really equal to 2 doses of Moderna or Pfizer, the ratio here is about 1 in 4 chance of getting J&J.