VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

18 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Ask them how many times did they search for a appointment  ?

Why is it NECESSARY for any one to go  way out of their way to get  a life saving vaccine ? Why  does the Federal & State governments have  better channels to deliver adequate  quantities of this life saving vaccine  .Why did the government say CVS & Walgreen pharmacies woill supply vaccine  & then when a person here checks there are no vaccines . A farce or a bad joke . 

Simply said  ,we do not believe what any government agency tells us  . 

what is the approval rating for congress . I do have that answer  ,it is their relatives  LOL 

All I can say is WOW!!!....Privileged a little bit maybe? The vaccine should come straight to you? I will say this much. If it wasn't for your privileged attitude I would actually work to help you get your appt like I have done with a few others. They were very appreciative. I don't see any appreciation in you at all. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Ask them how many times did they search for a appointment  ?

Why is it NECESSARY for any one to go  way out of their way to get  a life saving vaccine ? Why  does the Federal & State governments have  better channels to deliver adequate  quantities of this life saving vaccine  .Why did the government say CVS & Walgreen pharmacies woill supply vaccine  & then when a person here checks there are no vaccines . A farce or a bad joke . 

Simply said  ,we do not believe what any government agency tells us  . 

what is the approval rating for congress . I do have that answer  ,it is their relatives  LOL 

Because there is more demand than there is supply and will be for a couple more months.

Depends, the ones more recent took less time than the ones at the beginning.

How much time do you spend on cruise critic?  Is that more important than spending 10-15 minutes each day checking a couple of sites.  Some one few posts up posted that there was appointments available for you 15 miles away, which is closer to your home than the San Diego airport.

Guess it is more of a priority for you to complain about not getting vaccinated than to actually spend a little time finding and making an appointment.

Then at least say that instead of complaining that you cannot find it, have people spend time trying to find locations near you, as several on this site have done.  Only to have you repeatedly post that its not available.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

just a reminder.  Most of the participants on this forum who voiced an opinion last summer had the opinion that it was foolhardy to believe there would be a vaccine in less than a year.  Here we are one year one week away from the first anniversary of a US lockdown order https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/lockdown-day-1 and people are over the edge about not getting a vaccine.  I think it is time to step back and congratulate the scientists who worked tirelessly, many sleeping in their labs, to accomplish this great feat of medical history.  There will be a day, very soon, that you will simply walk into the neighborhood pharmacy to get the vaccine.  

• Like 8

I for one did not believe a vaccine could be developed so quickly particularly ones with such a high effectiveness.  Kudos to all the hard work of those involved.  This is a case where I am very happy I was wrong.  Now the vaccine spigot is opening up and within a few short months, everyone who wants to be vaccinated will be.  Amazing.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

I have volunteered several times at the Del Mar Fairgrounds (Scripps) vaccine site - 5 miles south on Rt 101 from Encinitas. 500-1500 people get their shots there each day (depends on how many vaccines they receive). I am volunteering again there tomorrow and will continue to do so once or twice per week. The lines are typically quite short and the process is efficient. There was 1 day where the lines got very long and they modified the process the next day to help alleviate the situation. It's an easy drive up site.

While it does take some patience and time to get an appointment online, thousands of people have done it over the 2 months (actually over 1M so far). Many thousands more have driven down to Petco and waiting up to 5 hours to get their vaccine (including many of my friends in Carlsbad and Carmel Valley). To them, it was worth the hassle. 

I guess to others, it's not worth the bit of work to get the shot. It's easier to stay home and complain that you can't get the vaccine and the government is to blame.

BTW - I am not old enough to qualify yet. And Scripps doesn't guarantee to vaccinate all volunteers. At the end of the day, they might have 4-10 doses left. They give them to law enforcement volunteers first, and then by age. I'm hopeful it will happen for me soon.

Thank you for volunteering, and best wishes that you get vaccinated soon.

• Thanks 1

Several posters here have commented on how people need to put in some effort to get the vaccine.  I totally agree.

I spent many hours searching and researching potential vaccine locations and was rewarded with getting a spot within the first 2 weeks of availability and within 5 minutes of my home!  Three weeks later I received the second shot at the same hospital location and 2 weeks after that we felt cleared to go out to visit the grandkids and other activities.  Once done, the feeling of renewed "freedom" was so good that I forgot all about the time and effort it took me to line up the shots.  Plus, I was able to pass on the information I had gathered to others so that they could get their shots - another very good feeling for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Several posters here have commented on how people need to put in some effort to get the vaccine.  I totally agree.

I spent many hours searching and researching potential vaccine locations and was rewarded with getting a spot within the first 2 weeks of availability and within 5 minutes of my home!  Three weeks later I received the second shot at the same hospital location and 2 weeks after that we felt cleared to go out to visit the grandkids and other activities.  Once done, the feeling of renewed "freedom" was so good that I forgot all about the time and effort it took me to line up the shots.  Plus, I was able to pass on the information I had gathered to others so that they could get their shots - another very good feeling for me.

It's all about attitude, and you obviously have a positive one.  Very good post.

Wife and I got our second Pfizer shots yesterday, now the 2 week wait begins.

We had to drive about 25 minutes to the in-car vax site and it was a beautiful spring like day for a drive in the country. 

Edited by HamOp
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, nocl said:

Because there is more demand than there is supply and will be for a couple more months.

Depends, the ones more recent took less time than the ones at the beginning.

How much time do you spend on cruise critic?  Is that more important than spending 10-15 minutes each day checking a couple of sites.  Some one few posts up posted that there was appointments available for you 15 miles away, which is closer to your home than the San Diego airport.

Guess it is more of a priority for you to complain about not getting vaccinated than to actually spend a little time finding and making an appointment.

Then at least say that instead of complaining that you cannot find it, have people spend time trying to find locations near you, as several on this site have done.  Only to have you repeatedly post that its not available.

Well the Del Mar site does not come up in my search nay longer .what comes up is A series of Vons Stores  .However ,none have vaccine appointments .  Perhaps We are just not as lucky  . The vaccine will be available to us in time .We are not traveling any time soon .Our next trip is Sept 19th but it is a land trip to the National parks  .With regards to cruises  ,our first booked HAL cruise is Hawaii Feb 2 ,2022  . However ,if the protocol is wearing masks we would cancel that cruise 

We also feel we need more information as to how long the vaccine will resist the virus in people our age .I recently read that older people do not retain the  immunity as long as younger people   .Also our inclination is to go for the JNJ  vaccine   because of the side effects we see that several people have come down with after the 2nd  shot 

We believe that our patience will be rewarded & that we will be able to get the JnJ vaccine 

We see that some people have  gone into a hospital setting to get vaccinated  . We would never  think of a hospital as a great place to get vaccine because they are all petrie dishes at this time .I had a dear friend in NJ . He was in the hospital for  severe lung problems  ,He was there for 2 months .He comes home & dies from the virus which  imo he got while in the hospital  .He was 86

Edited by mcrcruiser

17 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We see that some people have  gone into a hospital setting to get vaccinated  . We would never  think of a hospital as a great place to get vaccine because they are all petrie dishes at this time .I had a dear friend in NJ . He was in the hospital for  severe lung problems  ,He was there for 2 months .He comes home & dies from the virus which  imo he got while in the hospital  .He was 86

We did the hospital, but it was really an emergency only hospital plus the shot area was in an entirely different area from other patients.  But, your point is well taken and people need to consider that.

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We did the hospital, but it was really an emergency only hospital plus the shot area was in an entirely different area from other patients.  But, your point is well taken and people need to consider that.

Thanks . Yes we are not all the same  who types posts . We are from different backgrounds ,different ages  & we all live our lives differently  . I never try to judge another person   because I have not walked a mile in their shoes  . Yesterday ,we had a visit from a internist doctor sent to us from our medicare insurance company to do a over all check . He was here from Poland  .We  asked him did he have family here or in Poland . He  replied that all his family was in Poland but he could not stay because he could not get a job .As incredible as this may seem to us here in the US ,things are different elsewhere  

4 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks . Yes we are not all the same  who types posts . We are from different backgrounds ,different ages  & we all live our lives differently  . I never try to judge another person   because I have not walked a mile in their shoes  . Yesterday ,we had a visit from a internist doctor sent to us from our medicare insurance company to do a over all check . He was here from Poland  .We  asked him did he have family here or in Poland . He  replied that all his family was in Poland but he could not stay because he could not get a job .As incredible as this may seem to us here in the US ,things are different elsewhere  

Another issue that I see almost daily is that some people are technology challenged.  This was very apparent here in OK when they first rolled out the vaccine system online.  Many people over 75 were not able to figure out how to make the appointments.  Most had friends or relatives that could help them, but many others did not and really struggled with it.

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Another issue that I see almost daily is that some people are technology challenged.  This was very apparent here in OK when they first rolled out the vaccine system online.  Many people over 75 were not able to figure out how to make the appointments.  Most had friends or relatives that could help them, but many others did not and really struggled with it.

Yes there are many seniors who do not use computers  ,especially the older seniors .In my case I been using computers since the 90s  . Thus ,it would present a even greater challenge  for them to get the vaccine . Once JnJ .Pfizer & Moderna roll our larger quantities ,i feel it will be much easier to get the vaccine  . .  

When I needed to get the pneumonia  booster shot & the shingles shot I went to local the pharmacy  .so ,it seems to us that this will be the same case as the production & deliveries ramp up 

We registered on Saturday and got a call today telling us to show up tomorrow at 1:45.  We won’t even have to get out of the car.  The shot will be Moderna.  I know some of you have really struggled to get shots or driven long ways.  At least for us this could not have been easier.  We can walk to the small clinic if we choose.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We registered on Saturday and got a call today telling us to show up tomorrow at 1:45.  We won’t even have to get out of the car.  The shot will be Moderna.  I know some of you have really struggled to get shots or driven long ways.  At least for us this could not have been easier.  We can walk to the small clinic if we choose.

That is great & they phoned you with that appointment . That is great service  . No phone calls in California  to my knowledge 

4 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

That is great & they phoned you with that appointment . That is great service  . No phone calls in California  to my knowledge 

Yea we are in a small location.  Only 800 people live here.  I wish you the best of luck with your shot.

Edited by KirkNC

5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We had two phone calls. The first was to tell us that our appointments for our second vaccine were cancelled (it was when there was a weather problem with distributing the vaccine) and the new date for our appointments with coming in at the same time. The second call was on the new date asking us if we could come in earlier than the scheduled time. 

Other than that, all notifications were by e-mail.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not true. Depends on the vendor providing the shots.

My wife got hers through CVS, they texted.

SLO county has a lottery system that they contact those selected for the three county run sites.