LET'S TALK ALLURA CLASS

KatieBelle

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

For whom, the younger crowd migrating from Celebrity that are in their 50's-70s? From what I've seen from many passengers on O is that they are OK with low energy, and if they heard a rock song it would scare them. Not all, but a lot of them. 

Having said that I couldn't believe the music that was being played over the canned system on deck 12 when I was on the Riviera in Dec of 19. I like rock n roll (50's-today) and much of it was a bit on the heavy side for me. 

During the presentation, we were sitting with two couples that we did shorexs with. His comments were along your lines as “ Oceania is obviously after a new demographic, and that demographic isn’t currently on this ship.

Fear not, some of the R ships might make another decade and the O ships 15+. For those not wanting change, I believe that option will last most of their remaining cruising days. Meanwhile, time marches on. That Beal Street Show put on in the Lounge was outdated for many of us before it ever began. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

For whom, the younger crowd migrating from Celebrity that are in their 50's-70s? From what I've seen from many passengers on O is that they are OK with low energy, and if they heard a rock song it would scare them. Not all, but a lot of them. 

Having said that I couldn't believe the music that was being played over the canned system on deck 12 when I was on the Riviera in Dec of 19. I like rock n roll (50's-today) and much of it was a bit on the heavy side for me. 

Maybe some  rappers or heavy metal bands 😉

i am fine with the 50's to 70's music LOL

57 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

For whom, the younger crowd migrating from Celebrity that are in their 50's-70s?

People in their 50s through 70s are considered the "younger" crowd? My husband and I are both 70 and I can't remember anyone ever considering us the younger crowd! On our 2019 Baltic tour on the Marina the main entertainment show was a 50s sock hop. Perhaps people who were beebopping in 1955 are still cruising? On the evening when they did show tunes there were no songs more recent than 1982. I know that entertainment isn't Oceania's strong suit. But we were in Scandinavia. I don't think doing a bit of ABBA would have shocked any sensibilities. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CruiseLibra said:

People in their 50s through 70s are considered the "younger" crowd? My husband and I are both 70 and I can't remember anyone ever considering us the younger crowd! On our 2019 Baltic tour on the Marina the main entertainment show was a 50s sock hop. Perhaps people who were beebopping in 1955 are still cruising? On the evening when they did show tunes there were no songs more recent than 1982. I know that entertainment isn't Oceania's strong suit. But we were in Scandinavia. I don't think doing a bit of ABBA would have shocked any sensibilities. 

I've frequently met many Oceania cruisers 75-90. One of good friends that we go cruising with quite a bit is 76. I am generally one of the younger ones and I'm 62. I started cruising Oceania 12 years ago. I was really one of the younger crowd then. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I've frequently met many Oceania cruisers 75-90. One of good friends that we go cruising with quite a bit is 76. I am generally one of the younger ones and I'm 62. I started cruising Oceania 12 years ago. I was really one of the younger crowd then. 

You are  a youngster LOL

The press release mentions that the Grand Dining Room "soars almost two decks in height,"  which sounds like a change to reduce noise levels.  But is it really higher than Riviera and Marina?  I'm having trouble figuring out if the Vista pictures really looks higher, or if the arches just give that illusion.

Vista Main Dining Room.png

Riviera Grand Dining Room.png

The “grand’ announcement was a big nothing burger. Except for pontificating about the main dining room based upon a sketch, there is nothing to get the juices flowing. Wake me when O has some definitive information to share, and forget the Inane PR hype.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The press release mentions that the Grand Dining Room "soars almost two decks in height,"  which sounds like a change to reduce noise levels.  But is it really higher than Riviera and Marina?  I'm having trouble figuring out if the Vista pictures really looks higher, or if the arches just give that illusion.

Vista Main Dining Room.png

Have you been on Riviera (or Marina)? From the main GDR entrance to the seating area there is a downhill walk because the main GDR floor extends into the fifth deck aft. 
So the O ships’ GDRs can also be said to “soar almost two decks in height.”

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Have you been on Riviera (or Marina)? From the main GDR entrance to the seating area there is a downhill walk because the main GDR floor extends into the fifth deck aft. 
So the O ships’ GDRs can also be said to “soar almost two decks in height.”

There's something about the visual of Marina's dining room from the main entrance that gives me nightmares related to the movie The Poseidon Adventure...I hope that isn't the case for Vista.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The photo looks like  a R ship?

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

There's something about the visual of Marina's dining room from the main entrance that gives me nightmares related to the movie The Poseidon Adventure...I hope that isn't the case for Vista.

FWIW, we seldom eat in the GDR unless the menu catches our eye or we get an officer invite to a small group dinner or it’s one of the “over the top” brunches. We much prefer the Terrace Café and the specialties for those of our favorite dishes that I consider my “home (away from home) cooking”’ staples (in particular - Toscana).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Taken off the Oceania website page for Riviera.  That's why I'm asking.  Would they lie?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/cuisine/

See post #84. Though the ceilings on the O ship GDRs are level with the rest of the ceilings in the public spaces on that deck, the floor of the GDR seating area is lower. No one is telling fibs.

If those plans the officers are holding up is the Vista. It appears Horizons is gone. Some sort of lounge by the mid-ship pool aka Viking setup? Also some tiering at the rear of the ship to suggest space for a rear pool or viewing area with lounges.

The staterooms don't appear very deep and more square in shape. It also appears plenty of space for interior rooms. Is Vista having any interiors?

Thanks,
Chris

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Taken off the Oceania website page for Riviera.  That's why I'm asking.  Would they lie?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/cuisine/

Ok I think that is the area up near the kitchen exit   but the rest of the GDR the ceilings at much higher

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/grand-dining-room-311103/grand-dining-room--v14123617

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW, we seldom eat in the GDR unless the menu catches our eye or we get an officer invite to a small group dinner or it’s one of the “over the top” brunches. We much prefer the Terrace Café and the specialties for those of our favorite dishes that I consider my “home (away from home) cooking”’ staples (in particular - Toscana).

We also rarely eat dinner in the GDR.

13 hours ago, Dwtlion said:

The “grand’ announcement was a big nothing burger. Except for pontificating about the main dining room based upon a sketch, there is nothing to get the juices flowing. Wake me when O has some definitive information to share, and forget the Inane PR hype.

A total waste of time.  Did not tell me a thing, just to come back in May i think.   Maybe I wont bother.

• Like 2

Interesting times. We were shown computer renditions of a ship not built, by a cruise line that hasn’t sailed in a year. 

I wonder how sales will be in September for computer renditions if Oceania still hasn’t sailed or even announced when they will?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris86 said:

If those plans the officers are holding up is the Vista. It appears Horizons is gone. Some sort of lounge by the mid-ship pool aka Viking setup? Also some tiering at the rear of the ship to suggest space for a rear pool or viewing area with lounges.

The staterooms don't appear very deep and more square in shape. It also appears plenty of space for interior rooms. Is Vista having any interiors?

Thanks,
Chris

That's a lot of detail from those plans, I have trouble seeing that much, but I didn't blow it up, only made it full screen. As you said if that is the Vista? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

That's a lot of detail from those plans, I have trouble seeing that much, but I didn't blow it up, only made it full screen. As you said if that is the Vista? 

😂😂

Yep, and those are real Oceania cruisers in all of the brochures that get dressed up just like everyone aboard ship. I wonder if the women   “ blow up” pictures of those 6 inch spike heels the lady wears so to know what kind is appropriate? 

The video was a staged marketing event people. Those blueprints were no more real than the models in the adds. Why in the world would one expect something different?

Edited by pinotlover

One of the signatures things we love about  the O class ships is coming back to afternoon tea in Horizon's after a day on shore  and listening to the string quartet. A reminder of more civilized times. If tea is moved to Baristas on Vista, that should be one big expansion to handle the crowd. And I hope it doesn't mean the demise of classical music at tea.

11 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

One of the signatures things we love about  the O class ships is coming back to afternoon tea in Horizon's after a day on shore  and listening to the string quartet. A reminder of more civilized times. If tea is moved to Baristas on Vista, that should be one big expansion to handle the crowd. And I hope it doesn't mean the demise of classical music at tea.

This is also our favorite experience, especially with regard to the string quartet. It is especially enjoyable to stop off at the library to borrow a book to peruse during tea time. Yes, it is exceptionally civilized. The loss of of the quartet would be lamentable. While other lines (thinking specifically of Seabourn and Regent) have made live music a mainstay of teatime, I have personally not experienced a string quartet at their teatimes, having to "make do" with only a pianist or other soloist.

We would adapt to, but would not prefer, the ambiance of Cunard afternoon tea in the Queen's Room. It is an enjoyable experience, but it is decidedly more lively and lacks the relaxed understatement of Oceania's offering in this regard.

As I suggested above, they could keep the ambiance of afternoon tea if they were to move it to a wintergarden-like setting; we would also be perfectly happy if afternoon tea were to stay in Horizons if for no other reason than to enjoy the view.

We would settle for tea almost anywhere on the ship if it meant sailing again...

On 3/16/2021 at 10:12 AM, Roccaforte said:

Vista teaser looks great!  Is there any way to find the itinerary?  DH and I are fully vaccinated and ready to pack our bags.

You'll be able to book cruises starting in Sept. I just hope the prices don't skyrocket simply because it's a new ship.