LET'S TALK ALLURA CLASS

KatieBelle

3 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Renaissance also had their Renaissance Class of eight ships which is what the line started with - built between 1989 and 1998.   These held ~100 passengers each and were named Renaissance I through Renaissance VIII.  At the time of the Renaissance bankruptcy I believe that only two of the Renaissance Class ships were still with the line, the others having been sold off as the R Class ships came on line.

Joe

Here's a link to one of the original small Renaissance ships that is still sailing.  It's now called the Corinthian II. https://www.small-cruise-ships.com/ship/corinthian-ii/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed twice on Renaissance Cruises. Probably around 2000 and 2001. Both in the Mediterranean..

Does anyone remember the included air? We had first class seats and they were most uncomfortable, as I remember. 
It was such an inexpensive cruise. That’s probably why they went bankrupt.  

10 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We sailed twice on Renaissance Cruises. Probably around 2000 and 2001. Both in the Mediterranean..

Does anyone remember the included air? We had first class seats and they were most uncomfortable, as I remember. 
It was such an inexpensive cruise. That’s probably why they went bankrupt.  

Do not think it was the air seats  that made them go bankrupt  😉

Just an FYI

since you might be used to Bus class seats  with Regent  booking  BUS via   Oceania   it is more expensive

just do your own air

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Do not think it was the air seats  that made them go bankrupt  😉

Just an FYI

since you might be used to Bus class seats  with Regent  booking  BUS via   Oceania   it is more expensive

just do your own air

Perhaps, I did not express myself well.....I said it was such an inexpensive cruise that’s what caused the bankruptcy. As my husband used to say, if you are losing money, you can’t make it up on volume. Or, something like that. We knew that the prices were too good to be true. 
FYI... I do not use air with Regent.. Book my own with mileage and take the credits. Same with hotels. 

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

..I said it was such an inexpensive cruise that’s what caused the bankruptcy.

I think there were at least 3 more important factors causing them to declare bankruptcy

1 Timing - post 9/11 nobody wanted to travel

2 ordered too many new ships at the wrong time

3 excluded TAs from getting commission (or something like that) - trying to do it without agents.

That is my understanding.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I think there were at least 3 more important factors causing them to declare bankruptcy

3 excluded TAs from getting commission (or something like that) - trying to do it without agents.

Yes, exactly my understanding too.   Most important getting rid of the TAs.   They do bring a lot to the table for most of us.  

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I'd add one more important factor:  Renaissance ships had a "NO SMOKING" policy. For us, this was perfect.  For others, who couldn't imagine a cruise without smoking onboard, it sent them elsewhere.

My, how times have changed.

What happened to the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria?

What was the dress code on the Mayflower?

Renaissance has been dead for nearly 20 years? I worked for ARCO , they bought DEC computers once. Both companies are now ancient history.

I didn’t wear leisure suits either. 

58 minutes ago, tgg said:

I'd add one more important factor:  Renaissance ships had a "NO SMOKING" policy. For us, this was perfect.  For others, who couldn't imagine a cruise without smoking onboard, it sent them elsewhere.

My, how times have changed.

I haven’t smoked since 2003. However, I did smoke when we cruised on Renaissance. I remember, with laughter, how some of us would get off the ship as soon as it docked, and grabbed that puff. 

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

What happened to the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria?

What was the dress code on the Mayflower?

Renaissance has been dead for nearly 20 years? I worked for ARCO , they bought DEC computers once. Both companies are now ancient history.

I didn’t wear leisure suits either. 

Did you cruise on Renaissance. There were some good memories. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Did you cruise on Renaissance. There were some good memories. 

Nope, and I wasn’t on the Mayflower either. Listening to Jim& Stan stories, I’m sure the Queen Mary was lovely in 50s. I think that ship is still tied up outside of LA.

I know it sounds rude, and I realize that the R ships is their legacy, but they’ve been defunct for a long time. 

Perhaps we need a Renaissance Forum, or an “ Old Defunct Cruise Line” forum. If sailing doesn’t resume by year end, several current lines will be included in that Forum.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

So a long time ago I invented a game, actually it's just a take off on Hi Bob, where you watch the Bob Newhart show and have a shot every time someone said "Hi Bob". I just substitute that with anytime someone would mention Renaissance here. The biggest problem is that it happens so frequently that I drank too much, and would post things that I shouldn't. Of course they would disappear so it worked out. 🙃

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, RJB said:

So what does any of this have to do with the Allura Class ships?  Quite  far off topic. 

Speaking of off topic- didn't you just post this on the Connoisseur's Club thread?  🙃

17 minutes ago, RJB said:

I never have either.  But did become a Mets fan.  They gave us some good times after the Dodgers  left us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Speaking of off topic- didn't you just post this on the Connoisseur's Club thread?  🙃

Yes, you are right.  Just sort of gotten caught up in responding to other posters in that thread. Kind of a subject that is near and dear to me but it does not belong in that thread either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Yes, you are right.  Just sort of gotten caught up in responding to other posters in that thread. Kind of a subject that is near and dear to me but it does not belong in that thread either. 

So it is OK for you to go off topic  but not others 🙄

One of the  "entitled"  ?

• Like 1

Boy, has this off-topic topic gone off topic 🤡

It’s what happens on a cruising forum when no one is cruising, only hunkering. 🥲

What will happen when we have 4-5 more months of no cruising! 😳😳

People will be brandishing the knives by then!  🥺

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

It’s what happens on a cruising forum when no one is cruising, only hunkering. 🥲

What will happen when we have 4-5 more months of no cruising! 😳😳

People will be brandishing the knives by then!  🥺

Agree....not just cruising. It is about life and living. 14 days to slow the spread a year later. We are all going insane. Tears...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

People will be brandishing the knives by then!

I got my second vaccination dose this morning and had to fill out a form asking if I had experienced any of a variety of symptoms after my first shot. One of them was "A sense of impending doom". I told the nurse I've had a sense of impending doom for the past year, not just after my vaccination. She laughed and said that a lot of people had the same reaction to the question and that the nurses she knew agreed they've felt that way too. It was a moment of levity in a dismal world.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't anyone get the email today? I'd think this would be a topic of conversation today. Of course it's 6 more days before we know what the announcement is. I still think they should worry about getting their existing ships back cruising before bring on the new ones. 

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

Didn't anyone get the email today? I'd think this would be a topic of conversation today. Of course it's 6 more days before we know what the announcement is. I still think they should worry about getting their existing ships back cruising before bring on the new ones. 

Yes, I got the email. Finally some word on the new Allura class ship. I am so anxious to book this and happy to know there will be some news on Marh 16. The subject of the email is NEW SHIP ANNOUNCEMENT, and in the body of the email it states: 

Great Adventures 
Are Just Over the Horizon. 

On March 16th, 
We'll Change Your View 
of the World.

Got the email. 

Doubt it’s sailing until mid 2023. A lot of water to pass under the bridge before then. Hope it’s put on the Australia circumnavigation for December 23! I didn’t book the Regatta for 22 so to wait and see what they do. Didn’t really want 35 days on a R ship. The new A Class is a different story.

• Like 1