100% vaccinated sailings

Indianadaytripper

On 2/18/2021 at 4:19 AM, CruiserBruce said:

There are many threads on the topic...here is one that is well established:

CruiserBruce: Enough with your personal 'use the search function' crusade... it clearly has fallen on deaf ears. 😉

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 7:25 AM, HappyInVan said:

Cruise companies can demand 100% inoculation. But, will still need to observe masking/distancing.

Pfizer/Moderna may provide 95% protection against serious symptoms. But, that means 1/20 is unprotected. On a 4k passenger ship, that's 200 pax. Let's not repeat the Ruby Princess disaster.

In addition, there will be fake documents. Already available in Mexico...

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/two-air-passengers-fined-10k-201253990.html

Those poor fellow travelers on the plane!!!

Fake documents are certainly a concern. Not sure how they will combat this unless there is going to be some sort of CDC database (plus something similar for other countries). It seems like it would not be feasible to call 4,000 doctors offices to validate everyone's certificate. I feel sorry for their fellow passengers. It is amazing the cavalier disregard people show for the health & safety of others. 

On a 4K passenger ship 200 or so would be susceptible plus maybe 75-100 crew but I think combining a vaccination requirement with testing and other mitigation strategies it will significantly reduce risk. Ultimately there will be a long period of time where we will transition out of the pandemic (which we are not close to) where covid will be out there and we will have to decide when we are comfortable taking that risk. 

• Thanks 1

There is already a CDC database containing the ID info including names and addresses and vial IDs of anyone who receives a COVID vaccine. I would think they will create a window into that system for travel providers (and others) similar to a No Fly list where names are matched. 

On 2/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, Essiesmom said:

I'm not sure where you get the idea that 95% means only 95% of the passengers are protected.  95% means that each passenger is 95% protected.  There is no 5% that aren't.  EM

Yes. This. That's a common misconception. 95% protection does NOT mean 5% of the people vaccinated are unprotected.

Each person fully vaccinated has a 95% chance of not getting the virus if they're exposed to someone who is sick, when it's under conditions where they would have gotten sick per-vaccination.

Best friend comes to visit, stays all evening, you talk and laugh in close contact, best friend wakes up the next day with symptoms. Every exposed vaccinated person's risk would be just a 5% chance of having gotten COVID-19 from them. There's no group of 5% who would get sick from any and every exposure to the virus.

1 hour ago, MikeD4134 said:

Somewhere other than USA, probably in their home countries.

So, in British Columbia, Canada, we are vaccinating by age and Front line health care workers are being vaccinated first.  I'm 54, and I don't anticipate receiving a vaccine until August.  Many of those workers may not be able to be vaccinated in their home countries?  And waht of those that are currently on board their respective DAM ships?

L.

22 minutes ago, leerathje said:

So, in British Columbia, Canada, we are vaccinating by age and Front line health care workers are being vaccinated first.  I'm 54, and I don't anticipate receiving a vaccine until August.  Many of those workers may not be able to be vaccinated in their home countries?  And waht of those that are currently on board their respective DAM ships?

L.

Pretty sure HAL and the other companies will figure out a way to get their people the vaccine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

Pretty sure HAL and the other companies will figure out a way to get their people the vaccine.

Yes, let the high paid executives earn their salaries.

At some point, at least according to what was said today by the President, there will be a glut of the vaccine.

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

I wouldn't bet on it..🙄

I  would not be surprised if they actually do end up buying and vaccinating their crew if it lets them return to sailing more quickly. There is a very large disparity in global availability and while the US for example is projecting to have everyone who wants a vaccine vaccinated by the end of the year (if not by the end of summer), 130 countries with 2.5 billion people have not yet had a single dose of the vaccine and many countries have been priced out of the vaccine so far, and I suspect there is a fair amount of overlap on this list and the list of countries crew are sourced from.  Ultimately I think cruise lines would be eager to buy vaccines and vaccinate crew if it allowed a speedy restart (assuming they could get it).

On 2/18/2021 at 6:01 AM, Indianadaytripper said:

In my view I see no reason to have a much different cruising experience ONBOARD. With a 100% inoculated passengers and crew fully vaccinated 14 days before and tested prior to sailing.

Visiting in other nations, their rules would have to adhered too.

Imagine working out on a bike, or treadmill, or on the walking deck with a mask on in 90 degree heat. Not a fun cruise.

This of course, are just my thoughts. 

I have real problems with the Vaccine. I do not think forced vaccinations are even constitutional.  We do not even know the long term consequnces of this vaccine. 

13 minutes ago, Himself said:

I have real problems with the Vaccine. I do not think forced vaccinations are even constitutional.  We do not even know the long term consequnces of this vaccine. 

Has nothing to do with the constitution legality .This is a pandemic & the only way to defeat this virus is with  multitudes of people getting vaccinated ;because  with out vaccinations the death tolls globally would be huge with this virus   left unchecked  & constantly mutating

BTW you have a choice get the vaccine or expose yourself & loved ones to a far worse  future 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Himself said:

These are private businesses, albeit with federal government assistance.  I'm not sure that the Constitution has much to do with the choice to require vaccinations.  Should the Government prohibit such requirement, I think that the prohibition might be declared unconstitutional.  Infected cruise ships represent a unique and significant health hazard to every country it visits.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, ontheweb said:

Obviously we do not have a cruise leaving soon. Our first shots were on a Friday, and the seconds scheduled 4 weeks later also on a Friday. She was figuring any reaction would be over before school started again on a Monday. They are now next Monday, and if the second shot knocks her for a loop, there goes the next school day.

For the first shot, she had no reaction while my arm was painful for a while. The opposite happened the last time we had our flu shots.

Sorry, I misunderstand your initial post.  It makes sense now.

5 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

These are private businesses, albeit with federal government assistance.  I'm not sure that the Constitution has much to do with the choice to require vaccinations.  Should the Government prohibit such requirement, I think that the prohibition might be declared unconstitutional.  Infected cruise ships represent a unique and significant health hazard to every country it visits.

EEOC has already ruled that a business can require employees to be vaccinated.  

https://hrexecutive.com/employers-can-legally-require-covid-vaccines-but-will-they/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

You don't think that the cruise companies would rather absorb the cost of vaccinating the crew so that they again sail and have revenue?  I would think that they would.

I agree  .The only problem is can non US residents  get vaccines even if the cruise company's want to buy those shots for their crews  ?

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

EEOC has already ruled that a business can require employees to be vaccinated.  

https://hrexecutive.com/employers-can-legally-require-covid-vaccines-but-will-they/

imo the only  people that have a reason to opt out of getting vaccinated would be if the vaccines were a threat to their health & have  a note from their doctor attesting to their problem

• Like 1

I don’t think fake immunizations will be a big deal.  I am sure someone will try it but unless you are medically prevented from getting a shot, why go through conjuring up a fake record.  The vaccine is free and before cruising starts it will be readily available.

3 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

imo the only  people that have a reason to opt out of getting vaccinated would be if the vaccines were a threat to their health & have  a note from their doctor attesting to their problem

But then would they be allowed to sail?

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

But then would they be allowed to sail?

That is a good question  . Thinking of other countries that ships would dock & what their government requirements might be that all pax & crew must be vaccinated with proof  .That would be a big problem for those few people