The Daily for Monday Feb 22, 2021

richwmn

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Morning all!  Today's quote is quite appropriate.  Thanks to @richwmnand @rafinmdfor your Daily contributions.  Roy, good luck with your doctor appointment today.  Happy Birthday wishes to @Av8rix, George Washington and @DeeniEncinitas's DH David.

Looks like we will be heading down to Clearwater Beach, FL on Thursday to handle the closing up of the condo DS leased this winter since he is awaiting testifying in Waco at a trial.  Will explain more later this week.  We can lounge around until Monday morning if we want to since his lease ends then.  Weather looks good so we might just do that.

Tomorrow is 14 days since we got our second vaccination so we will be officially "fully vaccinated".  Hoping our family members in other states get theirs soon too.  Missouri has been very slow.

Safe travels! Hope you enjoy yourself!

There are a couple of preliminary studies that Dr. Fauci mentioned that indicate the Moderna & Pfizer vaccines might not totally eliminate the possibility of transmission of the virus, but they significantly reduce the ability to transmit. He says they are watching the studies closely. 
So here’s hoping that the findings are accurate! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Well it’s doing that snowing thing again, only 3 inches this time then possibly rain to finish.

Having chicken cordon blu with asparagus for dinner tonight. 
      Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

As a longtime member of Girl Scouts of the USA, I thank you for including World Thinking Day.

Both Lord (Robert 1857-1941) and Lady (Olave 1889-1977) Baden Powell were born on February 22. He founded the Boy Scouts and together they founded the Girl Guides in England. Juliette Gordon Low, while visiting them, decided to form a similar organization in the USA. This she did in 1912 but used the name Girl Scouts. The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts chose to honor the Baden Powells on their common birthday by thinking of fellow members around the globe. Many troops held special ceremonies on this day - I assume they still do. Sometimes it was referred to as Thinking/Thanking Day.

Thanks for including this and to Cruise Suzy and all the other Girl Scouts and Girl Guides on this list on Thinking Day. I have been a Girl Scout for 68 years this month and remember one of my first Thinking Day projects as a Brownie was to learn about Australia-its’ flag, location and a song “Once a jolly swagman...”. It took me 58 years to finally get there, interesting enough for a World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts conference and my second time last February 16th we boarded the Maasdam in Sydney heading toward San Diego. We all know what happened to that cruise 🤪. I’ve met other Girl Scouts on cruises and you instantly have a connection 🤩

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich, Roy, my precious sisters, and fellow Dailyites. 

I kept getting pulled away from the Daily and now just picking up.

Thank you Rich for our Daily.  It keeps my sanity in check.

Roy still praying all goes well today!

Happy Birthday David 🥳

The snow has melted! High of 69 today! We have water! Life is good. Happy as a seagull with a french fry.. We are under a severe water conservation for the next several days, but no water boiling.. 

Praying for the loved ones lost during our storms, hoping people get water and for all those who had leaks and breaks and damage. 

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

• Like 19

Good morning all!  50 degrees F already this morning, I'm stoked!

Happy Birthday @Av8rix(and George)!

We should be humble every day, and the quote is so true.

Will pass on the meal, not a fan of couscous or sweet potatoes (and too many carbs together anyway).  Instead I can't stop thinking of the Cheesy Tortellini and Meatballs from last week.  I do need to pick up some more Mozzarella, but that's all.  

@smitty34877yikes about your fall!  Glad to hear you have lots of help -- just rest up, it takes awhile to get over falls like that.

@rafinmdthinking of you today as you have your telemed appointment.  And thank you for the photos of Dunedin and @erewhon.  We were supposed to visit Australia and NZ early last April, but we all know what happened in April!

@Mary229congrats on getting your 2nd vaccine!  It's sure a great feeling isn't it?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

We had snow this morning and now it's raining. More tolerable temps this week, thankfully.

@smitty34877 I hope you are okay!

@rafinmd Hoping all goes well with your appointment.

@Av8rix Happy Birthday!

@StLouisCruisers Congrats! I can't wait until 2 weeks after my 2nd dose (hopefully not delayed) so that I can schedule to get my out of control hair cut.

@puppycanducruiseMine too! I bring it inside over the winter and some blooms during that time. It's getting sort of big to haul in and out every fall and spring.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask(s).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

@JazzyVyour hair salons and barbers are closed?  Or are you being super cautious and not going in one until vaccinated fully?  Our shops are open with mask/distancing rules to be cautious, and I've had monthly appointments there since April 28, 2020.  I would go out of my mind if I'd waited a year to get hair cuts, etc.  Bless you!!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just had to share -- we received a refund from HAL and it took only 6 days!!!  Last week we cancelled one cruise and booked some others. Our PCC said we should get our refund on the cancelled cruise "by the end of next (this) week".  I thought ok, sure....but it took only 6 days. Color me shocked and happy.  It sure beats the 5 months it took last time. 😄

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 18

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@JazzyVyour hair salons and barbers are closed?  Or are you being super cautious and not going in one until vaccinated fully?  Our shops are open with mask/distancing rules to be cautious, and I've had monthly appointments there since April 28, 2020.  I would go out of my mind if I'd waited a year to get hair cuts, etc.  Bless you!!

They are open (having been closed early last year), but I'm being super cautious. From the initial shut down in March I waited until August, when our numbers dropped. I am on/off immuno-suppressants for my eye condition, so I have been extra careful. My last time to go was Oct 2. I have short hair and used to go every 5 weeks! So I can't wait to get there again.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. It’s snowing outside. So, what else is new.

Yes, today is Washington’s Birthday and it’s also our oldest daughter’s special birthday which she is celebrating in Costa Rica, a place with sun, ocean, sand , and warm weather.

Another fruitless night and early morning with no appointment for DH to get his shot.

We keep trying.Eventually, he will get an appointment.

Carol

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Suslor said:

Thanks for including this and to Cruise Suzy and all the other Girl Scouts and Girl Guides on this list on Thinking Day. I have been a Girl Scout for 68 years this month and remember one of my first Thinking Day projects as a Brownie was to learn about Australia-its’ flag, location and a song “Once a jolly swagman...”. It took me 58 years to finally get there, interesting enough for a World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts conference and my second time last February 16th we boarded the Maasdam in Sydney heading toward San Diego. We all know what happened to that cruise 🤪. I’ve met other Girl Scouts on cruises and you instantly have a connection 🤩

🙃 We were waiting in Papeete for the Maasdam in March, 2020 to board. We had booked b2b and would have been in San Diego as well as the Mexico part of the cruise. 🤪Oh well.....

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! I was a Girl Guide leader for many years, so Thinking Day brings back a lot of good memories. We would bring all the age groups together for a special celebration, with displays and snacks from different countries around the world. There was a song naming various countries where Scouting and Guiding existed, with the chorus ‘all over the world it’s Thinking Day.’ Someone would point out the countries on a world map as they were called out. I never thought of it before, but that’s probably what made the travel bug gradually burrow under my skin.

Happy Birthday @Av8rix, and @smitty34877take care of yourself! It’s good you have family to delegate to! @rafinmdgood luck on your appointment!
A year ago today, the Amsterdam brought us to Papeete, Tahiti on the World Cruise. It was a magical day of flowers, carved pearls, flowers, waterfalls, and spikes of black volcanic rock rising out of the jungle to pierce the sky. I left part of my heart there, and in 2023 we get to see it again!33475F90-B3A8-4437-9C6A-6DAA63837C89.thumb.jpeg.3ee40ec59b4817a0e274402dfbddf7ec.jpeg

Approaching Tahiti in the dawn.

C5A8463B-664E-4D13-918A-1CEAAB3349C2.thumb.jpeg.497c08abacd9c985606e72b3b6e85183.jpeg

Papeete, and the promenade along the waterfront.

40074B72-E9D3-4498-B5EE-ED6F5F21BF93.thumb.jpeg.35f764f8c981909067cbf0745eaa2150.jpeg

Flowers too beautiful to be real!

13C36060-38F2-4A8B-BF69-96BBBB316F34.thumb.jpeg.402233392550c78cfb08aa76d760b4da.jpeg

Touring in an open sided 4wheel drive, feel the air, smell the flowers, shelter from the rain.

C503CE2A-BD5B-4DC3-B7C7-EF1C408912D4.thumb.jpeg.c4931e6984bea06501a89597e1778fb1.jpeg

We drove under forest canopies of these.

115C0E30-784B-43D4-83A0-127125939486.thumb.jpeg.b45be34b1341f9e1eac7a8bb363ca34e.jpeg

B0D7A2EF-D968-4782-AB1B-7D84241721A6.thumb.jpeg.26625fdc961ecb84f00d3523a8fbc9d1.jpeg

Off the beaten path, with vistas of volcanic rock and waterfalls.

8449CB3F-235E-4116-93F7-51C39DC7F270.thumb.jpeg.70446d1f28d54075133948ff20d1c789.jpeg

And more waterfalls.

F572DC0B-853D-4BAF-9543-1D4E6FE16E0C.thumb.jpeg.8f316efa0ad02e670c7d88d304206355.jpeg

And still more waterfalls.

C20E62D0-C0BD-465D-B26B-9D36A08CEBEC.thumb.jpeg.b172f81c2ad795e408ab9ba7a56da4b8.jpeg

The downpours that cause the waterfalls.

2C3C278A-7495-4408-BD5D-A914BAC05D27.thumb.jpeg.312fb2d99e93ba6c218d6831a8e2d6d1.jpeg

In a hurry? Grab a waterfall to go!

EE3C983B-7CC4-4517-A8C3-E37DF67C3D02.thumb.jpeg.5d081e1510978da8da78b8226c7eb392.jpeg

A ceremonial conch at the site of an ancient temple.

D5AA33F7-2BD1-495C-AC3C-E4042AEF9769.thumb.jpeg.e72fa024bd27b5c31ac4d7668e90c0fb.jpeg

A blast from the Arahoho Blowhole. It sounds like a dragon sleeping under your feet.

ED89B9FA-5AAC-462F-8912-036AAB27B6CB.thumb.jpeg.fe8b6d778e1d971ad7430d0b2a48184c.jpeg

A doorway carving near the market back in Papeete.

A4F725CE-9B2F-4F3A-B7F3-AED6EC285120.jpeg.34eb4a7bcef1bdc05407afa6a69fbb73.jpeg

My souvenir- a black pearl formed around a seeded core of turquoise, and carved after harvesting to show glimpses of the gemstone inside. The picture does NOT do it justice!

67C5CFD4-ED05-49B0-B73F-C40590636AFD.thumb.jpeg.92ad37f77caf5bc2026faf7e84c078ce.jpeg

And all too soon, the Amsterdam calls us home and leaves this magical place.

And of course, she wishes us all Happy Monday!

D1B5DAE1-B223-4E20-8A20-2EA1523658DB.thumb.jpeg.f0671ef0d63a0c7589698e51b7cf373d.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning, Monday! 👍Thank You for the Daily and Best Wishes to others celebrating special occasions in February.

🛳️ I see that the Nieuw Statendam is back in the Bahamas...sure would like to find out if she'll be in Europe in May?! 🤓

Prayers to all you are in need! 🙏

16140114359022443152770309063196.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

They are open (having been closed early last year), but I'm being super cautious. From the initial shut down in March I waited until August, when our numbers dropped. I am on/off immuno-suppressants for my eye condition, so I have been extra careful. My last time to go was Oct 2. I have short hair and used to go every 5 weeks! So I can't wait to get there again.

That makes perfect sense.  I hope your eye condition improves and you can get that long awaited haircut!

• Like 9

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Happy birthday to George Washington, @Av8rix , and @DeeniEncinitas’s DH. Thank you for the the explanation of World Thinking Day @Cruise Suzy

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion, DH doesn’t like sweet potatoes. I might pull out two of the individual pot pies I made a few weeks ago from the freezer. 

Today 34 years ago was a sea day on the Noordam III and I was feeling queasy after rocking and rolling in our inside cabin in the bow. We had met a really nice couple, the husband was a Navy Chaplain, and he gave me some Bonine. What a help that was and I take it now on every cruise.  We went on the kitchen tour which is something we really enjoy. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

We had snow this morning and now it's raining. More tolerable temps this week, thankfully.

@smitty34877 I hope you are okay!

@rafinmd Hoping all goes well with your appointment.

@Av8rix Happy Birthday!

@StLouisCruisers Congrats! I can't wait until 2 weeks after my 2nd dose (hopefully not delayed) so that I can schedule to get my out of control hair cut.

@puppycanducruiseMine too! I bring it inside over the winter and some blooms during that time. It's getting sort of big to haul in and out every fall and spring.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask(s).

Thank  you, I  am  bruised  and  stiff  but  basically  ok. I appreciate  it. I  will  join  you   at  the  hair dressers 2  weeks  from  Friday after  my  second  shot  as  well. My  hair  is  longer  than  it  was  in  high  school! I  could  not  take  the  chance  to get  it  cut  due  to  health  issues so  it  has  had  an  eternity  to  grow.       Terry

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily, and to Roy for your lists. I hope your telemed call today goes well.

I love all the photos, cartoons and memories posted today. I, too, was a Girl Scout and my mother was a troop leader for many years. When the troops in our area got together for Thinking Day, we would always hear from one of the elderly ladies in our town about how she had tea with Juliette Low when she was a young girl. A link to the past!

We got a call over the weekend that DH will have a radiation procedure before his ankle reconstruction surgery on Wednesday, so we'll need to be there early in the morning. I'm hoping the traffic heading into Baltimore won't be too bad at that hour!

We got about an inch of snow this morning before it switched to sleet, and then rain. The sun is supposed to come out this afternoon, so everything should melt. Yay!

Stay well and wear your mask (or two)!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 17

Good Morning and Happy Thinking Day.

One of my first memories of Thinking Day was when I was a Brownie and went to my first Father and Daughter Dinner.   We met in the local church hall and I remember the church kitchen being filled with pies for dessert.  As an adult I was one of the lucky mum's who coordinated the annual pot luck dinner for the Scouts on Thinking Day to celebrate the Baden-Powells' birthdays.  Always lots of good food and great times.

Below is a photo of one of the emblems adorning the Girl Guides Christmas tree at the Empress Hotel.

No photo description available.

Many happy memories of both the Guide and Scouting movements.

Val

• Like 15