Cruising Without Masks?

On 2/28/2021 at 4:55 AM, Smiles1984 said:

It's interesting how people's attitudes land. In the UK there are very few situations where you're indoors or in close proximity with others outside of your home where mask wearing isn't the norm, and for most it's just not an issue. I'd rather be wearing a mask on a cruise than be wearing one in the supermarket, and I'd rather have a holiday than not.

It's also fascinating to me that this year there have been hardly any cases of flu or colds, likely down to a combination of social distancing and mask use. It's a very small thing we can all do some of the time to make a big difference to anyone, but the overwhelming majority on here say they won't. Compare that to the response to the knowledge a short while ago that there were private nude cruises where people sit on towels and everything is cleaned afterwards, and the outrage from quite a number about the hygiene implications of that. 

Not having a go, it just strikes me as ironic. 

Give me a break.  We haven't done a great job (nothing you can really do anyways) mitigating Covid19 the past year - it has made its way around the USA / Europe at will even with over washing hands and wearing covid19 condoms and staying away from one another.  You are essentially saying hand washing, distancing, and face masks stopped flu BUT not covid19.   Soooo where does that leave us?

Viral Interference !!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

Give me a break.  We haven't done a great job (nothing you can really do anyways) mitigating Covid19 the past year - it has made its way around the USA / Europe at will even with over washing hands and wearing covid19 condoms and staying away from one another.  You are essentially saying hand washing, distancing, and face masks stopped flu BUT not covid19.   Soooo where does that leave us?

Viral Interference !!!

A study of actual data, particularly deaths per capita,  clearly shows some places doing a better job than others.

8 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I agree with you. And I actually thinks masks should be worn on ships forever. For two reasons. Firstly to protect against lawsuits for getting sick from Covid and also to prevent not only Covid outbreak but also Flu outbreaks onboard as well. 

The wearing of Masks should become part of our lives permanently, especially seaonally during flu season in congested ereas such as public transport, entertainment venues such as Cinemas, flying and also on cruise ships. Wearing a mak in Asia has been common for many years, no reason why it shouldn't become this way as well in other parts of the world.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

The wearing of Masks should become part of our lives permanently, especially seaonally during flu season in congested ereas such as public transport, entertainment venues such as Cinemas, flying and also on cruise ships. Wearing a mak in Asia has been common for many years, no reason why it shouldn't become this way as well in other parts of the world.

They do it because of the smog and air pollution in Asia with the cars. And the air pollution is really bad in Asia, far worse than in London or Berlin or Paris.

• Like 2

All the talk about sneezing had me intrigued. Do people take off their mask to sneeze into their sleeve or do they keep their mask on and have the sneeze backfire into their face and just go about their business?🤔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They do it because of the smog and air pollution in Asia with the cars. And the air pollution is really bad in Asia, far worse than in London or Berlin or Paris.

Some wear masks for that reason. But most Asian mask wearers pre pandemic wore masks to prevent disease spread.

36 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

All the talk about sneezing had me intrigued. Do people take off their mask to sneeze into their sleeve or do they keep their mask on and have the sneeze backfire into their face and just go about their business?🤔 

I had to make a quick decision on this then other day. Sneezed into elbow mask on. Fortunately I didn't have to wipe my nose after.

Edited by broberts
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Uch this literally just happened at a medical appointment. Gentleman in the waiting room (masks + physical distancing enforced), started to build up the makings of what you could tell would be a sneeze and then decided just before the sneeze came, to pull his mask down and sneeze into the air, then pull it back up. 😲 I thought the man sitting in front of him was going to unleash the Hulk at that very moment. You could hear a pin drop with the silence that overtook the waiting room. 😷🤧🤢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Which brings us to the Paris Accords. We will be taxed to the hilt while Asia does nothing.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, florida eagle said:

Which brings us to the Paris Accords. We will be taxed to the hilt while Asia does nothing.

After all why should we pay for all the stuff we dumped into the atmosphere last century?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LXA350 said:

Vietnamese wear face masks because they want to keep their skin pale.  They consider pale skin more attractive.

29 minutes ago, broberts said:

After all why should we pay for all the stuff we dumped into the atmosphere last century?

As long as you lived well right. The rest of the world has to get on board. If they don't we will never compete again. And transitions of power from one nation to another most times ends up in nasty conflicts. In this age that can be terminal for the world.

7 hours ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Uch this literally just happened at a medical appointment. Gentleman in the waiting room (masks + physical distancing enforced), started to build up the makings of what you could tell would be a sneeze and then decided just before the sneeze came, to pull his mask down and sneeze into the air, then pull it back up. 😲 I thought the man sitting in front of him was going to unleash the Hulk at that very moment. You could hear a pin drop with the silence that overtook the waiting room. 😷🤧🤢

Interesting that that many people can even be in a waiting room.

12 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Nope.  Go for it though 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

This has to be the best question that has ever been asked!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Viral Interference !!!!!!!!!

You're inferring a lot from my comment. First of all, we know that a virus where there is no pre-existing immunity will spread faster and more easily than one that's been around for decades where people have built immunity over years of being exposed to multiple variants. So regardless of measures taken, Covid was always going to spread faster. The same applies to the effect it has, people are likely to see stronger symptoms. Add to this that nobody was really sure how best to treat Covid, something that's still being fine tuned.

Social distancing and mask wearing has reduced the numbers, you don't need any kind of report to understand that, it's common sense. Airborne respiratory virus spreads in droplets that leave/enter the mouth, when you avoid people or cover your mouth in any way you reduce the odds of infection. Maybe only by a fraction, maybe by 100%, that depends on the virus, the person, and the circumstances.

Seasonal flu numbers are down, and (granted, not a scientific approach) I don't know a single person who has had a cold this year except a friend who has been working in an office since June in close proximity to others.

I'm not saying I'd remain in lockdown indefinitely to avoid a cold, I'm saying we can keep some elements we've adopted in the last 12 months in limited situations to improve everyone's lives. I'd happily wear a mask in the supermarket during the winter to avoid a cold. 

But my key point was the comparison to the nudists. The same people complaining that about a scenario where a nude person places a towel on a chair, sits on it, the chair is then cleaned, and weeks later they sit on the same chair are also complaining that they might on occasion be asked to wear a mask in a corridor to avoid spreading germs. It seems really backwards to me that personal convenience always trumps helping others out. The comment was shortly followed by someone explaining that they would happily hide symptoms of a contagious illness rather than lose a single day of vacation. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

You're inferring a lot from my comment. First of all, we know that a virus where there is no pre-existing immunity will spread faster and more easily than one that's been around for decades where people have built immunity over years of being exposed to multiple variants. So regardless of measures taken, Covid was always going to spread faster. The same applies to the effect it has, people are likely to see stronger symptoms. Add to this that nobody was really sure how best to treat Covid, something that's still being fine tuned.

Social distancing and mask wearing has reduced the numbers, you don't need any kind of report to understand that, it's common sense. Airborne respiratory virus spreads in droplets that leave/enter the mouth, when you avoid people or cover your mouth in any way you reduce the odds of infection. Maybe only by a fraction, maybe by 100%, that depends on the virus, the person, and the circumstances.

Seasonal flu numbers are down, and (granted, not a scientific approach) I don't know a single person who has had a cold this year except a friend who has been working in an office since June in close proximity to others.

I'm not saying I'd remain in lockdown indefinitely to avoid a cold, I'm saying we can keep some elements we've adopted in the last 12 months in limited situations to improve everyone's lives. I'd happily wear a mask in the supermarket during the winter to avoid a cold. 

But my key point was the comparison to the nudists. The same people complaining that about a scenario where a nude person places a towel on a chair, sits on it, the chair is then cleaned, and weeks later they sit on the same chair are also complaining that they might on occasion be asked to wear a mask in a corridor to avoid spreading germs. It seems really backwards to me that personal convenience always trumps helping others out. The comment was shortly followed by someone explaining that they would happily hide symptoms of a contagious illness rather than lose a single day of vacation. 

Agree to disagree.  

You would wear a mask to avoid a cold ?  That blows my mind.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It could if one is in close proximity to someone with Noro and they vomit.  For a short period the Norovirus is aerosolized. 

In 30 yrs of cruising I have never seen anyone vomit, adult or child.  I know it happens but fortunately I have not been witness to it. Last time I was witness to public vomit was during my stomping days in the early 80's. I read a lot about people washing down the walls and surfaces in the stateroom so I'm assuming that it is transmitted a lot more from surfaces.  The masks will prevent you from touching your mouth or nose when not eating or drinking but the consensus on CC seems to be that noro is transmitted in the buffet or MDR. I'm not a doctor I only play one on CC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

In 30 yrs of cruising I have never seen anyone vomit, adult or child.  I know it happens but fortunately I have not been witness to it. Last time I was witness to public vomit was during my stomping days in the early 80's. I read a lot about people washing down the walls and surfaces in the stateroom so I'm assuming that it is transmitted a lot more from surfaces.  The masks will prevent you from touching your mouth or nose when not eating or drinking but the consensus on CC seems to be that noro is transmitted in the buffet or MDR. I'm not a doctor I only play one on CC.

From Wikipedia 

TransmissionEdit

Noroviruses are transmitted directly from person to person (62–84% of all reported outbreaks)[13] and indirectly via contaminated water and food. They are extremely contagious, and fewer than twenty virus particles can cause an infection[14] (some research suggests as few as five).[15]Transmission can be aerosolizedwhen those stricken with the illness vomit, and can be aerosolized by a toilet flush when vomit or diarrhea is present; infection can follow eating food or breathing air near an episode of vomiting, even if cleaned up.[16] The viruses continue to be shed after symptoms have subsided and shedding can still be detected many weeks after infection.[17]

Vomiting, in particular, transmits infection effectively and appears to allow airborne transmission. In one incident, a person who vomited spread infection across a restaurant, suggesting that many unexplained cases of food poisoning may have their source in vomit.

• Like 2