Vaccine Requirement News

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Oh i caught that. But still what's glaring to me is something that's supposed to have a 95% efficacy rate had 9 of 17 catch it anyway....and all in a certain demographic. As it pertains to cruising this is pretty important info. 

It has a 95% efficacy rate against the variants that were in the community at the time they were tested. They don't have the same efficacy rate against all variants.

This is also why you can't do an apples to apples comparison of with the J&J since it was tested against different variants.

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Oh i caught that. But still what's glaring to me is something that's supposed to have a 95% efficacy rate had 9 of 17 catch it anyway....and all in a certain demographic. As it pertains to cruising this is pretty important info. 

I do believe you are a bit confused. The 95% efficacy rate is NOT that 95% will not catch the virus Covid, but rather the 95% efficacy rate reduces the need for hospitalization and death. It weakens the virus and thus minimizes the effects of the illness. This is exactly why EVERYONE on a cruise ship needs to be vaccinated.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

BTW, the 17 residents were discovered to have Covid because of mandatory testing in nursing homes, two times per week. What is shocking is that 3 employees were not vaxed. More will come from this I'm pretty sure.... but I hope we don't find out that these three employees 'chose' not to be vaccinated. This nursing home has some explaining to do. 

That's the thing even Medical Groups, Drs/Nurses/Techs 20% and some up to 1/3 declining Vaccine. Think it's the Legal issue. Our star Poster on here mentioned as it's Emergency Use Authorized, until it's officially Licensed 100% don't think they can force them to take it. Also read that's why with US Military it's a choice now with 1/3 Service Members declining Vaccine. Agree scary knowing many turning it down, the ones that work with most vulnerable. My 4 Grandparents in Nursing Homes passed over last 6yrs but feel for others and their worries...Got my first, second in few weeks to protect people around me.

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

And just how effective is the vaccine in the elderly??? 9 of 17 is over 50% infection rate in fully vaccinated individuals...this can't be glossed over no matter who they contracted it from. 

You go right ahead and preach your sermon while ignoring the real deal. ALL 17 residents were confined to the same building, same kitchen, same people, same employees. This would be just like a cruise ship. Absolutely nothing different. Nothing. EXCEPT... that on a cruise ship EVERY employee and EVERY passenger would be vaxed. Thus minimizng the effectiveness of covid. 

All it took was just one of these three to pass the virus. All because of their selfishness. If that was my family, I'd be moving them out post haste and contacting a lawyer. 

• Like 6

On 3/4/2021 at 6:36 PM, jp2746 said:

I hope they refund cruises for people who can not get the vaccine (we have one planned for July).  Our family has autoimmune issues.  We can not get the vaccine, but did get Covid.  Two days and our whole family was over it.  I never had symptoms.  So, that would be a shame if we never get to cruise again as we are relatively young.  But, I guess with a 99.9% recovery rate in our age group and everyone else on board is vaccinated it's too big of a risk.  I wish they would allow us to sign something that says if we get sick we pay for the cost of everything ourselves.  We love cruising and I would take the chance.  Covid for us was easier than a cold.  It went away faster and we had less symptoms.  

I still have an issue with the fact that if you have the vaccine why it matters if I don't?  You are protected, right?  And if you are not, why get the vaccine in the first place?  If you can still get Covid and transmit Covid, what exactly does the vaccine do?  You will still have a ship load of people in close quarters getting off at ports where they can pick up Covid and bringing it back to the ship.  If it makes the illness less intense then you should be able to get over it easily and there will be no reason to hospitalize, quarantine, etc on the ship.  Just saying.  Yes I am a little upset that because we can't get the vaccine we may not ever be able to cruise or fly again.  We should be covered by ADA.  It isn't our fault.  Sorry, had to vent.  

I have relatives that still have antibodies 5 months post covid. (they donate plasma)  My husband has had a positive covid test without getting sick at all.  He has no intention of getting vaccinated.   Royal is holding on to millions of dollars in FCC's right now.   I see one big can of worms opening up.

• Like 1

Just now, ONECRUISER said:

That's the thing even Medical Groups, Drs/Nurses/Techs 20% and some up to 1/3 declining Vaccine. Think it's the Legal issue. Our star Poster on here mentioned as it's Emergency Use Authorized, until it's officially Licensed 100% don't think they can force them to take it. Also read that's why with US Military it's a choice now with 1/3 Service Members declining Vaccine. Even then not sure. Agree scary knowing many turning it down, the ones that work with most vulnerable. My 4 Grandparents in Nursing Homes passed over last 6yrs but feel for others and their worries...Got my first, second in few weeks to protect people around me.

In Texas, unless the employee is an 'contracted' employee, the employer may force the employee to take the vaccine. It has already been discussed. Of course it will go to trial eventually.  But to have an employee under my watch that refuses to take the vaccine and then by my directives or procedures to allow them to mix within the residents, there is grounds for a civil case against my decisions. Somebody will be paying somebody dearly for a failed policy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

You go right ahead and preach your sermon while ignoring the real deal. ALL 17 residents were confined to the same building, same kitchen, same people, same employees. This would be just like a cruise ship. Absolutely nothing different. Nothing. EXCEPT... that on a cruise ship EVERY employee and EVERY passenger would be vaxed. Thus minimizng the effectiveness of covid. 

All it took was just one of these three to pass the virus. All because of their selfishness. If that was my family, I'd be moving them out post haste and contacting a lawyer. 

And as it pertains to cruising it will be impossible to make sure 100% that passengers don't come into contact with an unvaccinated individual in the weeks leading up to the cruise and possibly become ill on the ship which will lead to a quarantine situation.

Imagine the irony if when cruising resumes that the youngest and oldest demographic aren't allowed on board for awhile. Let's face it, it could happen. The cruise lines will make their rules and we will abide by them. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 6:56 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Actually, not a Fact.  Or, it's as much of a "rule" as RCI's "no shorts in the MDR" is a "rule". 

The FACT is that the C.D.C. made the announcement, alright.

If they are correct or not is another thing, ALRIGHT.

15 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

In Texas, unless the employee is an 'contracted' employee, the employer may force the employee to take the vaccine. It has already been discussed. Of course it will go to trial eventually.  But to have an employee under my watch that refuses to take the vaccine and then by my directives or procedures to allow them to mix within the residents, there is grounds for a civil case against my decisions. Somebody will be paying somebody dearly for a failed policy. 

Wow, Interesting. In "Texas" By State Law a Company can force an Employee to take this "Emergency Authorized Use" Vaccine? Like said even a month ago in Detroit area some Hospitals was up to 40% Medical Persons declining, some as wait and see... In Military I was received couple Vaccines, w/o choice, these were Experimental not even authorized for Civilians, guess different now

Edited by ONECRUISER

Wow some of you are really against the rights of medical people.  Just because we’ve decided to make our life’s work for others doesn’t mean it’s right to force something on us.  Individuals have their reasons even if you don’t think it’s valid.  I’m very glad the hospital I work for is not forcing it’s employees to get the vaccine. I’d hate to see even a few leave the their profession over a shot. Even if they “just don’t want to get it” that’s their right and freedom and their conscience but it should not be a legal matter. We do live in a free country last I checked. A business like a cruise ship can dictate who it will let onboard as long as you set forth the rules before you take their money. ( I can see some balking and wanting their deposits back which I believe would be fair.)

Almost all the staff I work I with has been immunized.  I have cancer and am currently undergoing treatment which makes the decision of getting the vaccine a hard one for me. I want my treatment to fight my tumor not work on immunity to Covid.  I’ve been on medical leave and isolated so it hasn’t been an issue.  Now that I’ve been back to work a few weeks and have had discussions with 2 oncologist I feel I’m ready.  It’s not because I’m afraid I’ll give covid to anyone.  Except for work and doctor appointments we don’t leave the house.  So I’m at no risk to others.  It’s others I’m worried about giving it me.  I’m just saying don’t be so quick to judge. 

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

And as it pertains to cruising it will be impossible to make sure 100% that passengers don't come into contact with an unvaccinated individual in the weeks leading up to the cruise and possibly become ill on the ship which will lead to a quarantine situation.

Imagine the irony if when cruising resumes that the youngest and oldest demographic aren't allowed on board for awhile. Let's face it, it could happen. The cruise lines will make their rules and we will abide by them. 

Watching Doctor/Former Admin Covid Team Member other day talking about BMI/Weight, that 78% people Hospitalized with Covid were Overweight. Also slightly higher number underweight. So along with Banning Oldest/Youngest if Cruise lines follow suit have be 25-29.9 BMI to Sail... When scheduling my Vaccine last week surprised that being a 30+ BMI or just a Smoker put you head of line here in Michigan get Vaccine... Guess Dr was talking about following, i was close w/numbers above:  CDC researchers studied data on 148,494 American adults who were hospitalized with COVID-19 from March to December 2020. They found that people on or just over the edge of being overweight - with a BMI between 23.7 and 25.9 - were the least likely to be hospitalized,

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Watching Doctor/Former Admin Covid Team Member other day talking about BMI/Weight, that 78% people Hospitalized with Covid were Overweight. Also slightly higher number underweight. So along with Banning Oldest/Youngest if Cruise lines follow suit have be 25-29.9 BMI to Sail... When scheduling my Vaccine last week surprised that being a 30+ BMI or just a Smoker put you head of line here in Michigan get Vaccine

Your talking about a not allowing a large percentage of cruises and with them the others that would only cruise with the spouse, family member, friend, etc.

3 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Your talking about a not allowing a large percentage of cruises and with them the others that would only cruise with the spouse, family member, friend, etc.

Oh I know, none this going happen. No Ban Oldest, Youngest, kids will Cruise without being Vaccinated... But, I Cruise SOLO, dont smoke, been Vaccinated, 22% BMI so doesn't effect me 😁 (Kidding)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Watching Doctor/Former Admin Covid Team Member other day talking about BMI/Weight, that 78% people Hospitalized with Covid were Overweight. Also slightly higher number underweight. So along with Banning Oldest/Youngest if Cruise lines follow suit have be 25-29.9 BMI to Sail... When scheduling my Vaccine last week surprised that being a 30+ BMI or just a Smoker put you head of line here in Michigan get Vaccine

Yup, obesity a MAJOR risk factor and shockingly nothing in the media the entire year about the importance of healthy diet and exercise.

So, when cruising resumes maybe they'll exclude, kids under 16 (due to no vaccinations), the elderly (the age that was brought up in 2020 was over 70's), and obese people. Man, when we start excluding people the herd really gets thinned out which will make it easier to limit capacity. 

And of course I don't want to see anyone being excluded but it's a slippery slope once you start is my point. 

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Getting the vaccine has never meant you can’t get the virus. Hopefully, it protects you enough that so that you recover and don’t require hospitalization. Sounds like only one required hospitalization and that was because they fell. Sounds like the vaccine is working. 

M8

Agreed. But in a cruising scenario if there's 9 positives onboard you can bet the ship is getting quarantined and right back to home port. Sounds like testing will still have to play a major factor in getting everything started again. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Yup, obesity a MAJOR risk factor and shockingly nothing in the media the entire year about the importance of healthy diet and exercise.

So, when cruising resumes maybe they'll exclude, kids under 16 (due to no vaccinations), the elderly (the age that was brought up in 2020 was over 70's), and obese people. Man, when we start excluding people the herd really gets thinned out which will make it easier to limit capacity. 

And of course I don't want to see anyone being excluded but it's a slippery slope once you start is my point. 

Like Former Pandemic from dozen yrs ago just Burned self out. This one just needed Vaccine with number of Cases and even Biden Admin/Fauci talking words "Herd Immunity" Kids Ban, maybe first month or two during Trial and start up but kids Cruising will be coming back soon, this before a Vaccine for them Approved/needed/used. Testing? That will be here while. Like I said on here since last year, longer takes for them start up less likely Vaccine needed for kids and shorter time onboard Masks will be required

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Like Former Pandemic from dozen yrs ago just Burned self out. This one just needed Vaccine with number of Cases and even Biden Admin/Fauci talking words "Herd Immunity" Kids Ban, maybe first month or two during Trial and start up but kids Cruising will be coming back soon, this before a Vaccine for them Approved/needed/used. Testing? That will be here while

Exactly. In 2003 after Sars ended we got a massive concert in my hometown.....was epic!! I hope we can top it this time around though....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molson_Canadian_Rocks_for_Toronto

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Wow some of you are really against the rights of medical people.  Just because we’ve decided to make our life’s work for others doesn’t mean it’s right to force something on us.  Individuals have their reasons even if you don’t think it’s valid.  I’m very glad the hospital I work for is not forcing it’s employees to get the vaccine. I’d hate to see even a few leave the their profession over a shot. Even if they “just don’t want to get it” that’s their right and freedom and their conscience but it should not be a legal matter. We do live in a free country last I checked. A business like a cruise ship can dictate who it will let onboard as long as you set forth the rules before you take their money. ( I can see some balking and wanting their deposits back which I believe would be fair.)

Almost all the staff I work I with has been immunized.  I have cancer and am currently undergoing treatment which makes the decision of getting the vaccine a hard one for me. I want my treatment to fight my tumor not work on immunity to Covid.  I’ve been on medical leave and isolated so it hasn’t been an issue.  Now that I’ve been back to work a few weeks and have had discussions with 2 oncologist I feel I’m ready.  It’s not because I’m afraid I’ll give covid to anyone.  Except for work and doctor appointments we don’t leave the house.  So I’m at no risk to others.  It’s others I’m worried about giving it me.  I’m just saying don’t be so quick to judge. 

First of all keep fighting and I hope you're better soon. Secondly thanks for giving some much needed perspective. 

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Wow, Interesting. In "Texas" By State Law a Company can force an Employee to take this "Emergency Authorized Use" Vaccine? Like said even a month ago in Detroit area some Hospitals was up to 40% Medical Persons declining, some as wait and see... In Military I was received couple Vaccines, w/o choice, these were Experimental not even authorized for Civilians, guess different now

Texas is considered an 'at will' state. Basically meaning they can discharge you for any reason. They can't actually 'force' someone to vax up, but they can force someone to make a decision to be employed or not.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Texas is considered an 'at will' state. Basically meaning they can discharge you for any reason. They can't actually 'force' someone to vax up, but they can force someone to make a decision to be employed or not.   

OK, understand. Thanks. Michigan also At Will, as Restaurant Manager years ago had be Terminate a few Employees no Major Reason needed/required...

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I don't think anyone is judging the medical field in general, but specifically, if one goes to a hospital or is administered to a nursing home, the hospital has a responsibility to keep one safe from all viruses. The last place I would think I'd be getting covid is at a hospital or Dr.'s office. If so, someone is liable if they allow their patients to be around their medical personnel that has covid. 

25 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I don't think anyone is judging the medical field in general, but specifically, if one goes to a hospital or is administered to a nursing home, the hospital has a responsibility to keep one safe from all viruses. The last place I would think I'd be getting covid is at a hospital or Dr.'s office. If so, someone is liable if they allow their patients to be around their medical personnel that has covid. 

Assuming staff are vaccinated is a very naive assumption.

Unfortunately many medical staff in Texas have chosen not to be vaccinated. You have no idea if the staff that are treating you or your family have been vaccinated or not.

Edited by c-leg5
Clarification