Vaccine Requirement News

21 minutes ago, cured said:

Mapleleafforever - Since I can't send you a private message, I will publicly apologize. Which is more appropriate anyway. Please accept my humblest apologies. My earlier response to you was totally out of line and uncalled for.  I won't even try to offer up an excuse because there is no excuse, no matter what circumstances were going on off line.

I am incredibly embarrased that I wrote that.

I am very sorry.

Sometimes i post something I'm sorry for afterward. "report" myself and ask to have it deleted, and they do. Your apology is classy; we all have yucky days. 😊

• Like 4

13 hours ago, davekathy said:

IMO, "if" the cruise lines publish a policy that in order to sail you need to be vaccinated that means everyone, no matter the age of the person. 

Totally agree my friend. 👍  We have waited this long, and everything connected to the cruise line business has already suffered for over a year now.  What is the difference if getting back to some degree of normal will take a few more months?  Caution and safety first.  

Have stated this before...RCI does not need any outbreaks of Covid 19 on start up cruises, CDC will shut them down again hard.  Most likely that will kill them totally.  

Take the kiddies to Disney World, or the other theme parks...even Disney Land has reopened.  They will be just as happy, and everyone will be safer.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Totally agree my friend. 👍  We have waited this long, and everything connected to the cruise line business has already suffered for over a year now.  What is the difference if getting back to some degree of normal will take a few more months?  Caution and safety first.  

Have stated this before...RCI does not need any outbreaks of Covid 19 on start up cruises, CDC will shut them down again hard.  Most likely that will kill them totally.  

Take the kiddies to Disney World, or the other theme parks...even Disney Land has reopened.  They will be just as happy, and everyone will be safer.  

Like you and Bucky we have both received both vaccinations and we are now card carrying members. To steal a line from RC, "this (our) QUEST is over". 😁

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

I'm not afraid of being around kids under 10, but it is the group between 10 -16 that causes me some concern and right now they can't be vaccinated.

I'm not anti kids on cruises and normally I don't have any problem being around them on a ship but it has always been my opinion that in order to get cruises started back up successfully that a requirement for everyone, regardless of age to be vaccinated is the way to go.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, cured said:

Mapleleafforever - Since I can't send you a private message, I will publicly apologize. Which is more appropriate anyway. Please accept my humblest apologies. My earlier response to you was totally out of line and uncalled for.  I won't even try to offer up an excuse because there is no excuse, no matter what circumstances were going on off line.

I am incredibly embarrased that I wrote that.

I am very sorry.

It is all good and I accept your apology if you accept mine. If we're ever on a ship together first round is on me.....and second. 

• Like 7

On 3/8/2021 at 8:47 AM, rtazz17 said:

Selfish.... you realize my children cant get the vaccine because its not approved..... but just think of yourself like everyone does now

Which you are so aptly proving yourself

• Like 4

On 3/4/2021 at 8:43 PM, jp2746 said:

Our doctor has advised against it at this time.  But again, why does it matter if everyone else is vaccinated?  If I made the decisions to get my family vaccinated and something bad happened to any of us, I would feel responsible.  That is a big unknown.  We have already had Covid.  That we know is not an issue.  I will listen to the doctor since I trust her. 

If enough unvaccinated people get sick on the ship and the cruise has to return to port early then I DO care. I don’t care if you want to impact your vacation, but don’t expect others to not care about theirs. 

On 3/5/2021 at 10:36 AM, TheMiz said:

Me three  !

👋🏼

• Like 4

On somewhat related news.....

The oral antiviral molnupiravir appears to stop the virus's progression in those infected. A single pill of the investigational drug taken twice a day for 5 days eliminated SARS-CoV-2 from the nasopharynx of 49 participants in a recent study.

Between vaccinations and cures, we are making progress!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

If enough unvaccinated people get sick on the ship and the cruise has to return to port early then I DO care.

With all the testing, treatment, awareness and other protocols in place with covid these days, the odds of that many people getting covid on a ship is near zero.

• Like 2

I can only imagine what would happen if RCL did not mandate vaccinations. This situation screams that everyone should be vaccinated. 

BRENHAM, Texas – Seventeen residents of a Brenham nursing home contracted coronavirus after being either partially or fully vaccinated against the virus with an inoculation created to prevent people from developing a severe illness.

Officials at Focused Care at Brenham said Tuesday that nine of the 17 residents who have tested positive for COVID-19 were fully vaccinated, while the remaining eight had received only the first of the two doses.

Nanette Riedell-Mendez said her 95-year-old mother, Francine Riedell, received her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine Jan. 28. She said she got a call March 1 from the nursing home telling her that her mother had tested positive. She said her mother collapsed Sunday and had to be hospitalized.

“She seems to be doing well,” Riedell-Mendez said. “Recuperating and she’s not intubated. She’s not on oxygen, from what I understand.”

In addition to the residents, six staff members have also tested positive. Two of the six had received one dose, while a third had received both doses. The remaining three had not been vaccinated.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/03/10/17-brenham-nursing-home-residents-contract-covid-19-after-getting-shots/ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I can only imagine what would happen if RCL did not mandate vaccinations. This situation screams that everyone should be vaccinated. 

BRENHAM, Texas – Seventeen residents of a Brenham nursing home contracted coronavirus after being either partially or fully vaccinated against the virus with an inoculation created to prevent people from developing a severe illness.

Officials at Focused Care at Brenham said Tuesday that nine of the 17 residents who have tested positive for COVID-19 were fully vaccinated, while the remaining eight had received only the first of the two doses.

Nanette Riedell-Mendez said her 95-year-old mother, Francine Riedell, received her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine Jan. 28. She said she got a call March 1 from the nursing home telling her that her mother had tested positive. She said her mother collapsed Sunday and had to be hospitalized.

“She seems to be doing well,” Riedell-Mendez said. “Recuperating and she’s not intubated. She’s not on oxygen, from what I understand.”

In addition to the residents, six staff members have also tested positive. Two of the six had received one dose, while a third had received both doses. The remaining three had not been vaccinated.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/03/10/17-brenham-nursing-home-residents-contract-covid-19-after-getting-shots/ 

100% they will have to.   

Dr friend told me within 4-5 weeks the vaccines will be open to everyone who wants one (In Ohio at least)  

Luckily not many nursing home residents go on cruises.

There's been some concern that the vaccine is causing positive tests in the short term, even though the person doesn't have covid. Israel saw a lot of this.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

So age is going to be a factor even after vaccinations? 

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

This is why the CDC guidance haven't changed for even fully vaccinated nursing homes. The close quarters leads to high exposure due to time exposed.

• Like 2

I don’t know if anyone else received one but yesterday, out of the blue, I received a survey from RCI because I booked a cruise for later this year (Brilliance OTS 11-13-21 for 5 nights). I don’t think I have ever received a pre-cruise survey from any of the lines before. Part of it were the generic questions like how many cruises have I been on, what other lines have sailed, my age group, race, gender, number of adults and kids in the household plus there were several about COVID specifically, and some I don’t remember seeing before. One wanted to know how I sailed (solo, with spouse/significant other, friends and I think a couple other categories); one or two dealt with how/why I decided on that specific cruise and wanted me to rank in importance the 7 things I indicated that went into my selection of the cruise; one wanted to know my loyalty level, another had subparts dealing with a variety of thing from shore excursions to the buffet, to cabins and various other things again wanting me to rate their importance, there were a couple that dealt with vaccinations, one wanted to know my opinion/status concerning vaccinations and my choices ran from I’ am not getting one’ to ‘I am already vaccinated’ and several in between. A couple others, from how I read them, appeared to ask the same question in different ways and many of the questions had an ‘other’ category with blocks for an answer. Then one of the last few questions had a large list of things and they wanted me to indicate the ones I expected to see on the sailing. I don’t remember most of what was on the list but it included thing related to PCR testing, another type of virus test, mask wearing, social distancing, only ship sponsored shore excursions, temperature checks and vaccinations being required. They also asked if the booking was a replacement for a cruise that had been canceled. I marked it as a new booking and basically told them in a couple of their ‘other’ blocks I booked the cruise because the POC’s were actual ports not “Private Islands” and I wanted to see firsthand what ‘cruising in COVID’ was going to look like so I could decide if I would be booking for next year, the year after or ever again.

43 minutes ago, LeeRB said:

I don’t know if anyone else received one but yesterday, out of the blue, I received a survey from RCI because I booked a cruise for later this year (Brilliance OTS 11-13-21 for 5 nights). I don’t think I have ever received a pre-cruise survey from any of the lines before. Part of it were the generic questions like how many cruises have I been on, what other lines have sailed, my age group, race, gender, number of adults and kids in the household plus there were several about COVID specifically, and some I don’t remember seeing before. One wanted to know how I sailed (solo, with spouse/significant other, friends and I think a couple other categories); one or two dealt with how/why I decided on that specific cruise and wanted me to rank in importance the 7 things I indicated that went into my selection of the cruise; one wanted to know my loyalty level, another had subparts dealing with a variety of thing from shore excursions to the buffet, to cabins and various other things again wanting me to rate their importance, there were a couple that dealt with vaccinations, one wanted to know my opinion/status concerning vaccinations and my choices ran from I’ am not getting one’ to ‘I am already vaccinated’ and several in between. A couple others, from how I read them, appeared to ask the same question in different ways and many of the questions had an ‘other’ category with blocks for an answer. Then one of the last few questions had a large list of things and they wanted me to indicate the ones I expected to see on the sailing. I don’t remember most of what was on the list but it included thing related to PCR testing, another type of virus test, mask wearing, social distancing, only ship sponsored shore excursions, temperature checks and vaccinations being required. They also asked if the booking was a replacement for a cruise that had been canceled. I marked it as a new booking and basically told them in a couple of their ‘other’ blocks I booked the cruise because the POC’s were actual ports not “Private Islands” and I wanted to see firsthand what ‘cruising in COVID’ was going to look like so I could decide if I would be booking for next year, the year after or ever again.

Yes, ongoing thread... and I'm on your Cruise, hopefully sailing by then

Edited by ONECRUISER

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

??? Do not follow your question ????

9 of the 17 who tested positive already had both shots and all elderly. All this talk of unvaccinated kids not being able to cruise but in the end the question might be what's the highest age category that can be allowed to safely cruise......even being fully vaccinated. Time will tell......

I think what some are missing is that 3 employees of said nursing home were NOT vaxed and as a result, even w/ everyone vaxed up, 17 residents caught the virus. This tells me that, if everyone was vaxed up, including the three, the spread would have been minimal, if at all. None of the 17 residents are in life threatening ordeals as of right now. The vax is working. 

Get vaxed peeps. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ArthurUSCG said:

This is why the CDC guidance haven't changed for even fully vaccinated nursing homes. The close quarters leads to high exposure due to time exposed.

BTW, the 17 residents were discovered to have Covid because of mandatory testing in nursing homes, two times per week. What is shocking is that 3 employees were not vaxed. More will come from this I'm pretty sure.... but I hope we don't find out that these three employees 'chose' not to be vaccinated. This nursing home has some explaining to do. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I think what some are missing is that 3 employees of said nursing home were NOT vaxed and as a result, even w/ everyone vaxed up, 17 residents caught the virus. This tells me that, if everyone was vaxed up, including the three, the spread would have been minimal, if at all. None of the 17 residents are in life threatening ordeals as of right now. The vax is working. 

Get vaxed peeps. 

Oh i caught that. But still what's glaring to me is something that's supposed to have a 95% efficacy rate had 9 of 17 catch it anyway....and all in a certain demographic. As it pertains to cruising this is pretty important info. 

• Like 2

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

BTW, the 17 residents were discovered to have Covid because of mandatory testing in nursing homes, two times per week. What is shocking is that 3 employees were not vaxed. More will come from this I'm pretty sure.... but I hope we don't find out that these three employees 'chose' not to be vaccinated. This nursing home has some explaining to do. 

Unfortunately, there is a sizeable % of medical and first responders that have chosen not to get the vaccine. I wounder what the legal or civil liabilities will be for the nursing home if it is traced back that an employee caused the spread.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

And just how effective is the vaccine in the elderly??? 9 of 17 is over 50% infection rate in fully vaccinated individuals...this can't be glossed over no matter who they contracted it from. 

• Like 1