Diamond Lounge

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

People are so touchy feely these days I almost cant see them having snacks set out for anyone to grab buffet style. I'm in supposedly wide open texas and you cant get sides at the bbq place not in plastic cups. Taco place no condiment bar. I miss my cilantro. Portions were bigger when the bbq place gave you a big scoop of potato salad, now it's in a little plastic lidded cup. 

I cant see things going back right away. 

Agree. If (?) the DLs are going to be open in the evening for the CAS HH, maybe (?????) there will be servers walking around with snacks on trays and they serve you your selection (s) like Celebrity does during their CC HH. 

Edited by davekathy

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. If (?) the DLs are going to be open in the evening for the CAS HH, maybe (?????) there will be servers walking around with snacks on trays and they serve you your selection (s) like Celebrity does during their CC HH. 

Maybe, but that's just more staff. 

I'm fairly convinced lounge will be empty except for the concierge and a couple of housekeeping folks

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm fairly convinced lounge will be empty except for the concierge and a couple of housekeeping folks

Two servers and a bar tender. Just a thought as all this is way above my pay grade.  I'll have to wait until March to find out. 🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Two servers and a bar tender. Just a thought as all this is way above my pay grade.  I'll have to wait until March to find out. 🍻

So you're thinking less than 10 people in lounge at a time.🤔🤣🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

So you're thinking less than 10 people in lounge at a time.🤔🤣🤣

Nothing wrong with personal service. 🤣 Nope but that might be the new limit.  Our experiences in the DL (Freedom class being the largest) there is always two working the DL. One bartender and one roaming server. Not considering an overflow area. We're cool with whatever option(s) RC decides when cruising resumes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

We have been on a sailing during a norovirus outbreak and the snacks in the DL were on the buffet line that was manned by two crew members.  You had to point at what you wanted and they would dish it up.

They could also go the route we have seen at suite parties on Oasis class where they just bring around pre plated snacks.  You just take or refuse the plates that are brought around.

• Like 1

The science .... everyone wants the science to dictate the protocols. Well, if I'm not mistaken, recently the CDC issued a statement that COVID can not be contracted from surfaces so why is everyone getting ready to cruise and in fear of touching anything. Open up the DL .... maybe move it to a larger venue so when one removes a mask to eat or drink they will be socially distanced.  We now know that COVID is contracted from close personal interactions not surfaces.

34 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Our experiences in the DL (Freedom class being the largest) there is always two working the DL. One bartender and one roaming server. 

Interesting.  In the DL on Anthem there were, what seemed to be, a minimum of 5 servers.

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

As I mentioned our experiences have been on ships no larger than the Freedom class. 

Yes, of course, the larger ships with larger lounges would have more servers and bartenders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Nothing wrong with personal service. 🤣 Nope but that might be the new limit.  Our experiences in the DL (Freedom class being the largest) there is always two working the DL. One bartender and one roaming server. Not considering an overflow area. We're cool with whatever option(s) RC decides when cruising resumes. 

Gotcha, but you mentioned more people handing out snacks as well. That's how I was counting

On 3/7/2021 at 11:54 AM, BillOh said:

Another good answer in the same thought.   With that covered, I won't feel bad hijacking the thread. One speculated thread was the cruise line requiring you to use their excursion and not let  you off the ship if you don't. That might be my only factor in not returning to cruising. Despite my own stated intentions, I looked at excursions for my upcoming Sept cruise and I think I know now how Royal is going to make up the lost revenue.

Another way they are making up the loss revenue is there pricing. Internet, specialty dining, drink packages have escalated. With a quoted $65/day drink package + 18% = $79 /day. No thank you. I am eagerly awaiting the cost of beer/wine and cocktails. I imagine a steep increase in those prices as well. That said, I think many of us expected a sharp increase in these items.

On a related note- which ships (at least pre-covid) have the Diamond lounge where the Viking Crown bar used to be?  That used to be our favorite place, and I was super sad when they started converting them to Diamond lounges.  Now that I’ll be Diamond in one cruise, I can’t wait to go back to that bar 🙂

18 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

On a related note- which ships (at least pre-covid) have the Diamond lounge where the Viking Crown bar used to be?  That used to be our favorite place, and I was super sad when they started converting them to Diamond lounges.  Now that I’ll be Diamond in one cruise, I can’t wait to go back to that bar 🙂

Voyager class

Freedom class

Radiance class

Plus Enchantment 

However, all those ships still have a VCL

Only Oasis ships closed the VCL to the public, but that was for SL/CK

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 7:23 AM, John&LaLa said:

You still won't acknowledge the fact that the vouchers should be available all day and the choices basically unlimited.

But hey, if you want to down swill in the DL for 3 hours, pound away my friend

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2021 at 12:50 PM, Empehi said:

The science .... everyone wants the science to dictate the protocols. Well, if I'm not mistaken, recently the CDC issued a statement that COVID can not be contracted from surfaces so why is everyone getting ready to cruise and in fear of touching anything. Open up the DL .... maybe move it to a larger venue so when one removes a mask to eat or drink they will be socially distanced.  We now know that COVID is contracted from close personal interactions not surfaces.

I read the same thing.  I was thinking of months of trying to just get bleach wipes and paper towels.  Let alone tp.  If it were me, Id open up one of the regular lounges that they use for the art auctions. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 3:51 PM, davekathy said:

I agree that waiters bringing snacks will happen initially.

With no buffet it will stop people walking around and touching tongs etc.

The old top tier parties were like this if I remember correctly on RCG and Princess too.

On 4/12/2021 at 12:18 AM, John&LaLa said:

Well, nothing official, but Quantum is doing 4/5/6 depending on your C&A level, plus 1 coffee voucher for speciality coffee.

And the best part is the drinks are available all day, and are not limited to the el cheapo beverages previously served in the over crowded DL.

Seems nice to me 😁

In theory I think it is a great idea.

I suspect in practice when cruising restarts in the US they might restrict the 4/5/6 free drinks to the DL menu and for other drinks to a value of say $10 then you pay the difference + gratuity above this price.

Edited by grapau27

On 3/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, the mistral wind said:

Because of covvid 19 we haven't gone anywhere for a while. We are Diamond and planning a trip on the vision of the seas. Do they still have the Diamond lounge in 2021 dec.? We love those perks and yes it is a deciding factor for us to book this ship. Thank You for your replies.

No one has any idea what things will be like anywhere on the ships in December.  Assuming they are sailing.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

In theory I think it is a great idea.

I suspect in practice when cruising restarts in the US they might restrict the 4/5/6 free drinks to the DL menu and for other drinks to a value of say $10 then you pay the difference + gratuity above this price.

Why do you think that?

Seems to me that adds a level of complexity 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Why do you think that?

Seems to me that adds a level of complexity 

I hope not but they do something similar with the DP over $13 per drink where you are charged the extra plus gratuity and it might be a way of RCG stopping people getting expensive glasses of champagne, cocktails or Caymus wine in their free drinks allowance.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I agree that waiters bringing snacks will happen initially.

With no buffet it will stop people walking around and touching tongs etc.

The old top tier parties were like this if I remember correctly on RCG and Princess too.

Celebrity and Princess does (did pre covid). 

• Thanks 1

Just now, davekathy said:

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thanks Dave.

On our last cruise November/December 2019 on Grand Princess the waiters brought drinks and snacks around at the top tier event but in the Elite Lounge there was a buffet laid out nightly.

• Thanks 1