Broadway show on Oasis

15 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

From what I understand, they DID intend to replace Cats with a new production but there was apparently a contractual requirement to continue Cats on Oasis.

But even with the 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 hour production time reduction,  there still seems to be mixed reviews about it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

From what I understand, they DID intend to replace Cats with a new production but there was apparently a contractual requirement to continue Cats on Oasis.

Yes, john complained so it's still there waiting for bellas group cruise.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, pat1975 said:

I saw Cats a few years back on Oasis.  After intermission 75% of the people left.  

No more intermission. 

Of the three performances I saw in January 2020, very few people left during the show. 

FWIW, half the folks that left at intermission probably came back. That's kinda the point. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

What was the show back in 2009 when the Oasis debuted?  And would it not have made sense to update the show when the Oasis came out of Amplification, or does one of the muckity mucks have a soft spot for Cats?

Maybe it's just an awesome show.

More likely a long term contact, and it's expensive to switch

4 hours ago, RFerrington said:

You and I must have different sources😉

I was told Royal jumped on keeping it when ALW agreed to shorten it. There was no requirement.  They just got a good deal to extend and the rewrite sealed it.

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

You and I must have different sources😉

I was told Royal jumped on keeping it when ALW agreed to shorten it. There was no requirement.  They just got a good deal to extend and the rewrite sealed it.

I’m sure you’re right. You have waaay more involvement with the show than I.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

But even with the 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 hour production time reduction,  there still seems to be mixed reviews about it.

It seemed very well received in January. 

Unfortunately, it didn't get much exposure due to shutdown. 

Personally, I miss the original

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It  seemed very well received in January. 

Unfortunately, it didn't get much exposure due to shutdown. 

Personally, I miss the original

The DW and I will miss out on it at the end of Aug when our cruise should be cancelled.  We will see it though when we use our FCC for next June.

13 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The DW and I will miss out on it at the end of Aug when our cruise should be cancelled.  We will see it though when we use our FCC for next June.

I hope to see it in December.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@John&LaLa I do like the Broadway version of Cats.  When I flew up to bring Mom down here with us, they were showing the movie version on the plane.  I knew the reviews were really bad but I did like some of the actors.  OMG, it was criminal.... :classic_blink:

We are on Harmony next March and are stuck with Grease,  one of the worst musicals ever written.  And I say that from an experience viewpoint cuz I was in it.  The movie only made the whole thing worse.  The only thing that could possibly be worse would be that elevator music(al) Mamma Mia.  Abba was awful in the original!!

14 minutes ago, poocher said:

We are on Harmony next March and are stuck with Grease,  one of the worst musicals ever written.  And I say that from an experience viewpoint cuz I was in it.  The movie only made the whole thing worse.  The only thing that could possibly be worse would be that elevator music(al) Mamma Mia.  Abba was awful in the original!!

I played in the pit orchestras and like all those older musicals. Each to their own. Grease reminds me of my own HS. Some musicals wore a little thin, some never made the big time, but I enjoyed them all. But then I played musical instruments since 4th grade so maybe i see them differently. 

54 minutes ago, poocher said:

That may be from an avid theatre goer however from the average cruise that is just looking for some decent entertainment on board they are extremely popular.  Add to add to that, they cover a very wide demographic audience so they are a winner as far as shipboard entertainment goes.

• Like 1