Let the Exceptions Begin!

jtwind

13 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

The rules of the airline was wear masks no exception. I have a disabled relative and have dealt with logistics of travel with them and unfortunately as much as I might wish, public transport just can't always accommodate his needs. So as much as I feel for the family they should have realised this airline is probably not appropriate for their needs.

In the US, on flights, masks are REQUIRED for anyone 2 years or older. Not airline policy, federal regulations. The parents knew this.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Of course, the airline already gave in.  Today, a 4 year old with autism.  Tomorrow, a guy with some made up condition.

And the day after, THIS guy, a former US Senator, former Secretary of State, and VP candidate, and current climate change czar:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/john-kerry-busted-not-wearing-mask-on-flight-american-airlines-says-were-looking-into-this

Sure they are looking into it, but clearly HE wasn't dragged off the plane.

I'll start believing it's a crisis when the people telling me that it's a crisis start ACTING like it's a crisis.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Some people choose to virtual signal, others will use common sense. I will wear one in the grocery store and indoor places where it's required but it's coming off as soon as I get outside. I don't wear one to go walking around for exercise or rolling in my car. If I have to interact with someone (plumber, cable guy, pest control guy etc) I'll wear one for a bit while we talk outside or if they need to come inside. I don't understand the folks driving solo, walking by themselves, sitting at the park etc that wear masks. That just makes me laugh. Masks have become the new comfort blanket, people seem to equate them with instant protection. Reminds me of the folks who won't leave the house or go to any stores where they can't bring a gun (incessant irrational fear). There are plenty of N95's available now, get some of those and protect yourself if you are terrified to see anyone without one. 

AFAIK what you describe in the beginning of your post is totally acceptable...out here anyway. When people are outside I usually see their masks below their chins or hanging off one ear.  Good for you.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 11:20 AM, Sky616 said:

Ridiculous any child should have to wear one of those awful things.  What have we become to allow this?

Second saddest thing I see is tots willingly wearing masks, more disturbing is seeing kids lean into a thermometer gun aimed at their head 

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 4:22 PM, Swampbabe said:

I’m amazed that people STILL don’t understand how masks work work. Wearing one keeps YOU from spreading it to others. When everyone wears one it is beneficial to all.

Can't spread what you don't have.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Second saddest thing I see is tots willingly wearing masks, more disturbing is seeing kids lean into a thermometer gun aimed at their head 

Why on earth?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I suppose you also find it "sad" that they have to be restrained in car seats and wear seat belts (older)? 

Just horrible the things we have to do to ensure the health and safety of those tots.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have a few things to say

1.seat belts / car seats

2. nut free 

you are required to wear your seat belt and have your child in a car seat 

my kids went to a “nut” free school, because one child had a nut allergy, no other child was allowed to have any kind of nuts in school 

my child is immune compromised, I don’t want her exposed to a life threatening virus 

I have empathy for the child, but travel is not essential,the parents should know the regulations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Curious if you've seen the replies to you and if you have any comment(s).

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I suppose you also find it "sad" that they have to be restrained in car seats and wear seat belts (older)? 

Just horrible the things we have to do to ensure the health and safety of those tots.

I do feel sorry that our youngsters live in a world where masks and thermometer checks are normal.   But of course it has to be done. I remember my grandmother and great aunt talking about living through the 1918 flu.  Today's youngsters will have a story for their grandkids for sure.    

• Like 3

The US has the general attitude that rules are great unless they impact me. This comes all the way from the top. When the "leaders" of the country do this, the attitude trickles down. It starts with the attitude of open borders and flooding areas of the country but... it can't be in my Pacific Heights neighborhood. It is good for everyone else's but not mine. That same attitude trickles down to the people...masks are required except for my kid. Tryouts are great to put the best players on competitive teams...except my kid. 

In the end, the great CDC debate is hilarious. Masks aren't required. Every should wear a mask. You can wear this mask but not that one. Oh, that mask is ok to wear now. One mask is not enough, you need to wear two. No more than 10 people in a venue as long as they are 6 feet apart. However, it is perfectly OK to pack schools with kids, no social distancing, and suspend students for posting it on media after a mass outbreak because of lack of controls. 

What you may find from a US perspective is what I call the Timeout Generation. No one is responsible for their actions. That is where we are now and it will take generations to end it. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The US has the general attitude that rules are great unless they impact me. This comes all the way from the top. When the "leaders" of the country do this, the attitude trickles down. It starts with the attitude of open borders and flooding areas of the country but... it can't be in my Pacific Heights neighborhood. It is good for everyone else's but not mine. That same attitude trickles down to the people...masks are required except for my kid. Tryouts are great to put the best players on competitive teams...except my kid. 

In the end, the great CDC debate is hilarious. Masks aren't required. Every should wear a mask. You can wear this mask but not that one. Oh, that mask is ok to wear now. One mask is not enough, you need to wear two. No more than 10 people in a venue as long as they are 6 feet apart. However, it is perfectly OK to pack schools with kids, no social distancing, and suspend students for posting it on media after a mass outbreak because of lack of controls. 

What you may find from a US perspective is what I call the Timeout Generation. No one is responsible for their actions. That is where we are now and it will take generations to end it. 

Refusing to take responsibility for one’s actions is not limited to any one generation. There are plenty of oldsters that flout the rules. Trust me, I live in Florida. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As former suicide hotline worker, I find it sad when children are comfortable when any gun shaped device is pointed at their forehead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

As former suicide hotline worker, I find it sad when children are comfortable when any gun shaped device is pointed at their forehead.

Yes, it's a wonder that I managed to survive my childhood, when one of the most common games played was "cowboys and Indians" and my parents gave me a cowboy hat and a set of toy six-shooters in a holster for my 5th birthday.

Seriously though, children are well able to distinguish between a thermometer and a gun. This is a false drama. People don't complain upon taking their children to the dentist about the gun-shaped device that is used to squirt water in the mouth....

And I would also add, for anyone who has ever had a child that has been critically ill or injured:  while as a parent it may give you a pang to see your young child hooked up to a variety of machines in hospital, with tubes in arms and nose --  as a parent, one also feels extremely grateful that such interventions are available now -- as they were not 100 years ago -- leading to a huge decrease in infant and child mortality.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The only type of gun that a digital thermometer might resemble is a radar gun.  Highly doubtful that is going to trigger a suicidal episode.  Kids nowadays have been exposed to them since they were born.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, clo said:

Curious if you've seen the replies to you and if you have any comment(s).

aww geez 😕 why'd ya have to go there

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

As a former suicide hotline worker don't you think gaslighting children to perceive every gun shaped object as a weapon is inappropriate😳?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

As a former suicide hotline worker don't you think gaslighting children to perceive every gun shaped object as a weapon is inappropriate😳?

How is my sad "gaslightling" anyone? But how many parents of children who have died by gun suicide do you know?  

On 3/20/2021 at 12:19 PM, cruisemom42 said:

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, it's a wonder that I managed to survive my childhood, when one of the most common games played was "cowboys and Indians" and my parents gave me a cowboy hat and a set of toy six-shooters in a holster for my 5th birthday.

Seriously though, children are well able to distinguish between a thermometer and a gun. This is a false drama. People don't complain upon taking their children to the dentist about the gun-shaped device that is used to squirt water in the mouth....

And I would also add, for anyone who has ever had a child that has been critically ill or injured:  while as a parent it may give you a pang to see your young child hooked up to a variety of machines in hospital, with tubes in arms and nose --  as a parent, one also feels extremely grateful that such interventions are available now -- as they were not 100 years ago -- leading to a huge decrease in infant and child mortality.

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

The only type of gun that a digital thermometer might resemble is a radar gun.  Highly doubtful that is going to trigger a suicidal episode.  Kids nowadays have been exposed to them since they were born.

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

FYI-our local mental health facilities put the temperature gauges to your wrist, not your head for this reason