Navigator now confirmed in California

6 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

How is that going to work for those that have booked Navigator out of Miami in September?  

From my cruise planner:

Navigator of the Seas 

Sep 10 — Sep 13, 2021

177 Days to go

3 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise

It's June 2022 sailing starts.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m just guessing but it looks like other than LA, ports of call will be by Tender?

Ensenada should be able to handle the Navigator at the dock.  Catalina and Cabo have always been by tender for all ships. 

8 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How, via Panama Canel?

Much of the discussion previously about any of the Voyager class ships using the Canal has centered around the height of the funnels (208' IIRC) and the Canal's 205' air draft limit on the BoA.  In plowing through some of the Canal's restrictions, I found another area where they may run afoul with the Canal.  That would be the walkway around the MDR on deck 4.  Canal prohibits protrusions beyond the hull other than anchors less than 55' above the water.  Not sure if that protrusion is more than 55'.

Personally very excited by the news.  Navigator is one of my favorite ships post-amplification and the mixture of shorter itineraries with what sounds like occasional seven night itineraries is a great way to test the market again.  The option of being able to take a long weekend away without missing work is great.   

• Like 3

Nice to see a different choice.  Hopefully, Navigator moving there at the end of a pandemic has better luck than Mariner moving there at the beginning of a crisis.  With ports still all closed, it makes sense for Royal to start with a limited itinerary.  People are going to complain no matter what they do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

Much of the discussion previously about any of the Voyager class ships using the Canal has centered around the height of the funnels (208' IIRC) and the Canal's 205' air draft limit on the BoA.  In plowing through some of the Canal's restrictions, I found another area where they may run afoul with the Canal.  That would be the walkway around the MDR on deck 4.  Canal prohibits protrusions beyond the hull other than anchors less than 55' above the water.  Not sure if that protrusion is more than 55'.

It can go thru the new locks but not the old ones.  The cost is based on how many berths are on the ship and the cost per berth is higher for the new ones.  

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just announced on the webinar that the Navigator is confirmed in California.

out of LA

3/4/5 and 7 night cruises

On sale at the end of the month

Are prices normally cheaper if you book early?

4 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

Are prices normally cheaper if you book early?

Yes.  In most cases prices will rise over time.  Sometimes they do drop but as long as you booked from North America you can call and get a price adjustment up until final payment.  You really have nothing to lose by booking early unless you like to take risks and see what prices are like after final payment when cabin selection can be poor.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm...No Mexican Riviera with Cabo, Matatlan & Puerto Vallarta...so the only Mexican port 

is Cabo...sad after all this wait !

Vicki did say that the select 7 night sailings would be the Cabo, Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta itinerary.

• Like 3

Its been a long time since cruise lines have done the "Mexican Riverina" type cruises from California.  IIRC, they were discontinued because of crime in the ports and resulting declining demand for those cruises.  Wonder if the crime situation has improved.  

2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Ensenada is in Mexico as well...

I'd rather visit Nassau ...  and that should say EVERYTHING on this forum for those of you who have never been to Ensenada 

1 hour ago, Nado44 said:

Any guesses as to how and when Navigator will sail to California?

Panama Canal... I can't see any other less costly way.

Remember Quantum was also advertised and promoted for Bayonne... changed last second to China for years.

1 hour ago, BillB48 said:

Hello BillB48! great to hear from you on this thread, the PC pro. 

48 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

It can go thru the new locks but not the old ones.  The cost is based on how many berths are on the ship and the cost per berth is higher for the new ones.  

The actual new locks... maybe. See Bill's post above.

Under the Bridge of America's?  Just barely... maybe... kind of.... under special conditions and under the correct tides. Capt. Srecko told me once no way Voyager would get under... Capt. Anderson told me yes, he thinks so. BillB and ChengkP both sailed through the Canal and understand the complexity much more than the rest of us, and have posted results/thoughts of Voyager Class in the past on many threads

Having said that, with all the years of discussion of Quantum Class getting, or not getting, under the Lion's Gate bridge in Vancouver for Alaska runs, it was pretty obvious that when RCL made the announcement for Ovation the engineers likely did their homework. Hopefully they did the same for Navigator getting through the PC

Edited by Hoopster95

30 minutes ago, jalves said:

Its been a long time since cruise lines have done the "Mexican Riverina" type cruises from California.  IIRC, they were discontinued because of crime in the ports and resulting declining demand for those cruises.  Wonder if the crime situation has improved.  

I can only speak for Carnival, but not sure what you mean by long time. I just did the Mexican Riviera (Cabo, Mazatlan, PV) in Sept/2019 on the Splendor, before taking it to Singapore. I also know the Panorama was doing 7 night itineraries before the lock down.

However, I do miss the 11 day Sitmar cruises back in the 80’s that included Acapulco, Zihuatanejo.....those were great.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chawkjewel said:

Vicki did say that the select 7 night sailings would be the Cabo, Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta itinerary.

I thought those would be holiday sailings...and those prices could be crazy !

If they would do those ports in early/late summer early fall then great !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blizzard54 said:

You are absolutely correct she would have to use the new locks which can accommodate her dimensions very easily.  The overhang restriction I mentioned is specifically for the new locks.  The Canal has also changed the method of calculation of the tolls a bit, no longer is per passenger berth.  The toll is now calculated on max passenger capacity and the ship more than likely have less passenger berths than the max passenger capacity.  So the Canal probably is on the plus side of that calculation at $148 per passenger vs $138 for the original locks.