Navigator now confirmed in California

4 hours ago, bmblob said:

It was a great trip and I would consider making the passage again on the Navigator westbound. 

But I would really be more interested in taking her around the horn, the long way from the Caribbean to Los Angeles.

We’re definitely interested with either route.  We’re currently booked on the Serenade EB PC cruise in Sept 2022, but would quickly switch for the opportunity to do a route to Cali on a ship with a Flowrider. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I wouldn't count on any staff being on their old ships. Just a guess

probably true 

the DW will pm her to find out what ship she is going to be on post pandemic

1 hour ago, frank808 said:

She is really one of the great concierges that royal has.  It was a very nice 14 days with her.  

I so agree

We met herwhen we were cruising out of Galveston on the Nav 

Back then she was the DL concierge sailed with her a couple times there

Last time we saw her she was still on the Nav but was CL Concierge  out of MIA we were doing the 9 day southern ABC in a GS. She has gone over and above to help my DW over the years and they are friends on FB

If she is moving up to the bigger ships she has earned definitely 

Edited by jonbgd

4 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

Hopefully they did the same for Navigator getting through the PC

I guess we’ll find out once they publish the sailings.  Hopefully the PC or long route will be included. 

1 minute ago, atgood said:

We’re definitely interested with either route.  We’re currently booked on the Serenade EB PC cruise in Sept 2022, but would quickly switch for the opportunity to do a route to Cali on a ship with a Flowrider. 

I'm also interested in either route. What time period are we talking about? I'm book on Rhapsody for late May, but would cancel that.

10 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Any guesses as to how and when Navigator will sail to California?

and will it sail with passengers?  The last cruise shown in Florida is near the end of April.  Maybe the will use this as an opportunity to do maintenance.

9 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I'd rather visit Nassau ...  and that should say EVERYTHING on this forum for those of you who have never been to Ensenada 

I am not sure what you did on the your visit to Ensenada or what you find enjoyable, but it really is a very nice area.  You should try and keep an open mind and do a bit of research and try it again.

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

I won't drive an hour for just these short cruise ports.

It seems to me these are simply a way to rebuild cruising in general.  I would expect in the future that 7 day cruises would be more normal.  I can't see too many cruises longer than 7 days if past experience is any predictor of the future.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, atgood said:

Hopefully the PC or long route will be included. 

If by the long route you mean rounding Tierra del Fuego, that seems a bit unlikely as the May/June is getting towards the late fall winter season.  I could be wrong here, but it seems unlikely since RCCL also has been absent from South America for a while.

4 hours ago, SelectSys said:

and will it sail with passengers?  The last cruise shown in Florida is near the end of April.  Maybe the will use this as an opportunity to do maintenance.

I am not sure what you did on the your visit to Ensenada or what you find enjoyable, but it really is a very nice area.  You should try and keep an open mind and do a bit of research and try it again.

It seems to me these are simply a way to rebuild cruising in general.  I would expect in the future that 7 day cruises would be more normal.  I can't see too many cruises longer than 7 days if past experience is any predictor of the future.

We also had a great day in Ensenada.

There is another long route that is possible, not that it is likely, they could take it to Europe and thru the Suez Canal and end up with a TP.   It is a longer route but it could be more profitable.  As I recall they had a tough time selling the horn trip on the Mariner, it was way below capacity. 

1 minute ago, Blizzard54 said:

There is another long route that is possible, not that it is likely, they could take it to Europe and thru the Suez Canal and end up with a TP.   It is a longer route but it could be more profitable.  As I recall they had a tough time selling the horn trip on the Mariner, it was way below capacity. 

They do have an approximate 30 day window from the last sailing that ends in May to the start up they mentioned in June assuming that they plan to start June 1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They do have an approximate 30 day window from the last sailing that ends in May to the start up they mentioned in June assuming that they plan to start June 1

I think the best case would be a Panama Canal cruise with passengers.  It will really depend on how it goes with COVID in general and countries accepting large cruise ships.

38 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I think the best case would be a Panama Canal cruise with passengers.  It will really depend on how it goes with COVID in general and countries accepting large cruise ships.

I think that there is still some debate on whether she can make it under the bridge

2 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

Your recall is spot on. We were on the last leg that departed Valparaiso, 3rd level dining room was closed for the whole trip and second level was only 3/4 full for second seating. Trip was fantastic with perfect weather every day. 

22 hours ago, jalves said:

Its been a long time since cruise lines have done the "Mexican Riverina" type cruises from California.  IIRC, they were discontinued because of crime in the ports and resulting declining demand for those cruises.  Wonder if the crime situation has improved.  

Lot of armed policemen and soldiers patrolling with assault rifles. Quite friendly and would post for pictures for tourists if asked politely. Felt quite safe around the cruise port.

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Any ideas when RCCL will publish the sailings?

Guessing sometime before March 29, 2021?

Ken, we are confident you'll post it first.  Thank you in advance.

Not Ken...but with the Navigator sailings due to be published March 29th I would think it would be just after that. Why do you think before ?

3 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I think the best case would be a Panama Canal cruise with passengers. 

Agreed 10000000%... it is so painfully obvious. K.I.S.S principal:

1. longest route possible, TA/Europe/Suez/Oz/TP.... long legs, zero revenue because older/retired crowd can sail those long sailings, during one of the best times to sail in Caribbean (end of May/beginning June), and would take 2 months to complete.
  2. 2nd longest route, around the horn, almost no ports, like above super cheap fares because bookings very poor (ie. Mariner 2010) with retirees/older crowd who can afford the time off.
  3. Shortest route, super popular route, they will sell out the ship through PC, maximize revenue, least amount of fuel, least amount of time to get to LA

So which would anyone choose? The most difficult choice? Or the easiest most profitable, less costly?

And like Quantum Class in Vancouver, RCL has likely done all the engineering and study regarding getting a Voyager Class ship under the BOA before making this announcement.

BillB48 and Chengkp have already in several PCV threads on the past said that Voyager Class will likely fit under the BOA, just barely, under the best of conditions (tides) without retracting funnels

• Like 2

If they where to take Navigator around the world it would be in sydney March to May as Serenade leaves and goes to Singapore.

From memory Serenade goes early March? 
That would leave only Ovation in Sydney, not enough capacity.
There has to be another ship?

Edited by Chiliburn

21 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Surely Mariners start of June is not leading you to that conclusion.  It’s simply the end of one season that she is doing Anne what would be the normal start of another season.  The end of April is very typical of ships to redeploy elsewhere from the Caribbean. 

June of 2022.... I recognize when Caribbean cruise ships shift from summer to winter & vice versa. But June of 2022 is along damn ways off. To be exact, that's 15 months. The next shifting of ships would typically be in about 4-5 weeks. Then a reverse around Oct or so... why are they not planning to move the Navigator to Cali then? No one of can read the tea leaves of the CDC, but it's pretty telling that they are waiting 15 months to serve the masses and make profits. 

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

If they where to take Navigator around the world it would be in sydney March to May as Serenade leaves and goes to Singapore.

From memory Serenade goes early March? 
That would leave only Ovation in Sydney, not enough capacity.
There has to be another ship?

The current schedules are probably next to meaningless.  All lines will rebuild capacity gradually as countries open up.  Who knew that RCCL was coming back to California?

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Not Ken...but with the Navigator sailings due to be published March 29th I would think it would be just after that. Why do you think before ?

Perhaps I misunderstood...I read bookings start on March 29th...if this is true, it makes sense to me that rccl may publish the sailings/dates sometime before to give us a chance to review/compare sailings.

18 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Perhaps I misunderstood...I read bookings start on March 29th...if this is true, it makes sense to me that rccl may publish the sailings/dates sometime before to give us a chance to review/compare sailings.

The key words are always "week of" and they usually release late at night randomly...which here on the west coast has often worked for me.

They don't care that you have a chance to review/compare they just want you to book :classic_wink:

Edited by Ashland