What is your new expected return date to cruising?

SelectSys

When do you expect to take your first cruise?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. When do you expect to take your first cruise?

• Q1 2021 - for those who have already gone!
    • Q2 2021
    • Q3 2021
    • Q4 2021
    • Q1 2022
    • Q2 2022
    • Q3 2022
    • Q4 2022
    • Q1-Q2 2023
    • Q3-Q4 2023
    • 2024-2025+
    • never

On 4/19/2021 at 6:19 PM, clo said:

Goody gumdrops!!! I've said scores of times that my favorite part of retirement is getting up in the AM, making a cup of coffee and just sitting down and drinking it.

I never heard anyone saying Goody gumdrops.My favorite part of retirement is not setting the alarm clock for 5 AM

• Like 1

Late July,....honestly :).  Cruising will be in full operational mode by the beginning of July (earlier for some lines) that are doing Greek Island itineraries.  In fact I predict that the Greek Islands will experience a very big summer as they are currently the "best game in town" for Europeans.  When we recently booked some hotels on a couple of Greek Islands we did notice that quite a few of the better properties were fully booked during the summer months.   The Greek government has prioritized getting the Greek Island residents fully vaccinated by the end of May.  Since cruises also require fully vaccinated passengers you should have an ideal situation where just about everyone on the cruise routes (on and off the ship) are fully vaccinated.   Nice to know there are still a few folks in the world that understand we must learn to live our lives with COVID rather then sticking our heads in the sand (literally).

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Expected return to cruising?  Honestly?  

Never

I discussed this with all my friends,relatives,neighbors and people I am in contact with from the various schools I attended.Ninety percent said never.These are people who averaged 2-3 cruises a year.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Late July,....honestly :).  Cruising will be in full operational mode by the beginning of July (earlier for some lines) that are doing Greek Island itineraries.  In fact I predict that the Greek Islands will experience a very big summer as they are currently the "best game in town" for Europeans.  When we recently booked some hotels on a couple of Greek Islands we did notice that quite a few of the better properties were fully booked during the summer months.   The Greek government has prioritized getting the Greek Island residents fully vaccinated by the end of May.  Since cruises also require fully vaccinated passengers you should have an ideal situation where just about everyone on the cruise routes (on and off the ship) are fully vaccinated.   Nice to know there are still a few folks in the world that understand we must learn to live our lives with COVID rather then sticking our heads in the sand (literally).

Hank

Why would you do a cruise when it's so easy to take the ferries to various islands?

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Expected return to cruising?  Honestly?  

Never

well alrighty then, it was nice seeing you on this site.

52 minutes ago, clo said:

Why would you do a cruise when it's so easy to take the ferries to various islands?

you baffle us with your southern bell brilliance 

White Man Blinking GIFs | Tenor

22 minutes ago, c-boy said:

you baffle us with your southern bell brilliance 

I'm going to assume that really is a compliment. I truly don't get why anyone would cruise around the Greek islands. The ferries are so easy and you get to spend nights on the islands and have great Greek food. And breakfasts? Oh my. That Greek honey (and I don't like sweets in the AM) is crazy good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Because we are doing both :).  Fourteen days on a wonderful small luxury cruise ship followed by some island hopping.  The best of both worlds.  Many here on CC would understand that as avid cruisers (for over forty years) both DW and me really miss being on a ship.  But when we disembark in Pireaus it is just a very short taxi ride or a longer walk to the ferry that will take us to Naxos (for starters).

But getting back to your question, it is on that ship that I can enjoy lots of caviar and French Champagne neither of which I will have on a few Greek Islands to the strains of yiamas and perhaps an opa.

Hank

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

But getting back to your question, it is on that ship that I can enjoy lots of caviar and French Champagne neither of which I will have on a few Greek Islands to the strains of yiamas and perhaps an opa.

What's your favorite caviar? SO FAR, mine is Idaho sturgeon.  And you might want to branch out from French sparkling. There's tons of great and interesting non-French ones.

I wonder if the cruise ship will have this. LOL.

octopus.jpg

The question

What is your new expected return date to cruising ???

Well if you mean any cruising ( it has start in some places )

If you mean main stream and going places.... depending on location could be 2022 

If you mean the way things were maybe 2023 or beyond ...

For now Cruising is off the travel plans....

1 hour ago, clo said:

What's your favorite caviar? SO FAR, mine is Idaho sturgeon.  And you might want to branch out from French sparkling. There's tons of great and interesting non-French ones.

octopus.jpg

Too funny (we need humor in this COVID era) :).  My favorite caviar (which I cannot afford) is Ossetra.  I believe what is served on Seabourn is a domestic Caviar and I find it quite nice.  It has some similarities to Ossetra.  I have been told that is comes from sturgeon that is farmed in California and hence is sustainable.  But my info could be wrong so we can leave that to the Seabourn experts (I am still a Seabourn newbie).

Hank

12 hours ago, clo said:

octopus.jpg

🤥 that's depressing looking

Edited by c-boy

16 hours ago, clo said:

And you might want to branch out from French sparkling. There's tons of great and interesting non-French ones.

Can you name some sparkling wines which tastes as good as most Champagnes? (Not all Champagnes are excellent but most of them.)

Our favorite house is Gosset. If we shall buy something cheap we enjoy Andre Clouet and Palmer.

24 minutes ago, clo said:

Ah, so you're a vegetarian or a vegan. Gotcha.

naaaa, I have bad feelings about consuming a form of life that can beat me at chess. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

Just now, Toofarfromthesea said:

Why do you question anyone who chooses to do things differently than you?

And why do you wonder why I've asked a sincere question? Perhaps the cruise doesn't hit all the islands that the poster is interested in. Although at 14 days you'd think there would be little to miss. I'm guessing any island that can handle the ferries can also handle cruise ships. 

2 minutes ago, c-boy said:

naaaa, I have bad feelings about consuming another creature that can beat me at chess. 

I sincerely appreciate your response. I did some quick research and discovered that they're wildly intelligent. I'll not eat it again. Thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

I sincerely appreciate your response. I did some quick research and discovered that they're wildly intelligent. I'll not eat it again. Thank you.

This opens up a whole new area of inquiry.  The original premise: to not eat anything/anyone capable of beating you at chess is a given.  Then, by extension, to not eat anything/anyone with significant intelligence. 

Where it gets difficult is establishing the relative levels of intelligence which should trigger such abstinence.  There are many people who are sufficiently smarter than a salami - who may reasonably consume salami.  But what about those who are not clearly brighter?  What we are looking at, of course, is the stupider someone is, the more restrictive his diet should be... which must give some comfort to turnips.