Cruise Lines pressuring CDC to open cruising by July

16 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How could he allow the cruise ships to sail when the CDC announced today a “possible” surge coming and they also suggested today a double mask mandate (I guess we now know why Dr Flipflop had on two masks even after vaccinated). Remember though, we can expect to have a small family gathering outdoors for 4th of July. 

Still looking for those surges that never occurred. I heard Michigan and NJ are having big spikes. Are they not in somewhat Covid restricted States?

M8

Vaccinated travelers.

The latest report on hospitalizations included some interesting statistics regarding vaccinated individuals and hospitalization in Michigan... I suspect we'll see more once they're paying attention to such things more closely...

Younger, unvaccinated adults drive surge of COVID-19 hospitalizations in Michigan | WWMT

image.thumb.png.8d774c387d16dc39070df9b9c74afc03.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

WHY does Florida want us to sail?

Because its the best thing for the people?

or it's the best thing for the State coffers and the politicians campaign coffers?

Follow the money!

Because they care about the billions in wages (and taxe$) the people of Florida make from the industry? Get your vaccination and don't worry about it if you "trust the science."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

Cruise lines say it's safe to set sail. Health experts aren't convinced.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cruise-lines-covid-19-safe-to-sail/

Our number one health "expert" as we know told us not to wear masks in the beginning even when China has been doing it for a long time when they had issues. Health experts need to stay relevant so of course they will say this.

• Like 2

Just now, RoyalC said:

Our number one health "expert" as we know told us not to wear masks in the beginning even when China has been doing it for a long time when they had issues. Health experts need to stay relevant so of course they will say this.

If you're referring to the pandemic beginnings, that really was poor communication. There simply were not masks in sufficient quantity for the US population to use. And the sudden demand, for many, many, months, made it practically impossible for health care professionals to get them at all.

Absolutely, it was terrible messaging that has come back to haunt in the form of claims like you just made, losing some credibility. They were never really intending to say masks shouldn't be worn, just that considering the shortage they were of much more significant importance to the hospitals and health care providers at the time they were in very short supply.

• Like 4

On 3/24/2021 at 9:17 PM, HaveWeMetYet said:

But in an emailed response to questions, the CDC said the so-called Framework for Conditional Sailing Order, or CSO, remains in effect.

“Returning to passenger cruising is a phased approach to mitigate the risk of spreading Covid-19,” the CDC said. “Details for the next phase of the CSO are currently under interagency review.”

Did anybody really expect any other answer from a group that likes to play politics and control games?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dswallow said:

Cruise lines say it's safe to set sail. Health experts aren't convinced.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cruise-lines-covid-19-safe-to-sail/

"Cruises are very often sources of super-spreading outbreaks, and not just for COVID," Tara Kirk Sell, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, told CBS MoneyWatch. 

That's an outright lie. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dswallow said:

I hope it works if they do it.

16 hours ago, bouhunter said:

No

Every time someone answers then he just comes up with more questions. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RoyalC said:

This is not a comment on the endless stream of political commentary and personal opinion. However, when I see this oft repeated error, it bears correcting.

True, when Covid first appeared, we were advised not to run out and buy up the (then) very limited stockpiles of medical grade masks. It's not that we were told NOT to wear masks, we were asked to leave those precious supplies for the medical professionals. The value of wearing a mask was never disputed.

And by the way, protective masking (air pollution/ common germs) was common in China and Japan decades before Covid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AC Stew said:

. It's not that we were told NOT to wear masks, we were asked to leave those precious supplies for the medical professionals.

We were told "there's no reason to walk around wearing masks" and "it's not providing the protection people think they do and provides unintended consequences"

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

This is not a comment on the endless stream of political commentary and personal opinion. However, when I see this oft repeated error, it bears correcting.

True, when Covid first appeared, we were advised not to run out and buy up the (then) very limited stockpiles of medical grade masks. It's not that we were told NOT to wear masks, we were asked to leave those precious supplies for the medical professionals. The value of wearing a mask was never disputed.

And by the way, protective masking (air pollution/ common germs) was common in China and Japan decades before Covid.

Then why didn't he just say that? So is he lying to us now? Who or what is he trying to protect now? He's actually wanting to vaccinate kids, even newborns but there has only been 30 or children killed by Covid worldwide. Why? Why does he want to do this? Why isn't he following the data, the science? Something just doesn't add up and people feel very uncomfortable with any of his responses and answers these days. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

CDC will never be pressured. They are a government agency who has no connection to the private sector. Folks that work there have pay and benefits that are way beyond what the private sector offers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coaster said:

CDC will never be pressured. They are a government agency who has no connection to the private sector. Folks that work there have pay and benefits that are way beyond what the private sector offers.

So, what you’re saying is that there is little in the way of coercion that can be done to force the folks at the CDC to give some people whatever they want?

This is why I will really try to avoid engaging in these subjects. I grant you the above video is from an objective news source. But none of us really know what the professionals were encouraged to say or not say. And even in this recording, there is reference to leaving the current mask supply for doctors and sick people.

I'm not obsessed enough to have recorded the segment telling us to save those mask supplies for the medical professionals. But I appreciate that you have illustrated how in the early days, there was much confusion. I can't dispute that.

The situation has evolved and continues to evolve. We're constantly learning. I'm hopeful that going forward, the virologists will be able to speak to us openly and honestly, without pressurized oversight.

There are some highly informative threads here with input from incredibly knowledgeable folks. I'll stick to reading those.

That's it for me.

• Like 2

It's simple though. Dozens of studies in the 10 years before covid said masks don't help.  And at the start of the pandemic we were told masks don't help. Then all of a sudden pretty much 1 year ago, the script flipped and we were told masks save lives. Despite no evidence since then that they do.

• Like 2

Yes. Overpaid government employees with the CDC that are isolated from private sector issues. They collect the same government paycheck no matter how many port workers and supplier jobs are lost in Florida.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Is this another one of your “Masks Forever” / “Masks for Life” conjectures?  Is this likely a confabulation? 

No I just think the CDC will do it because they hate the cruise industry and because cruise ships are one of the greatest source of spread for this. IF they were to extend by one year what could be done about it? Nothing?

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

No I just think the CDC will do it because they hate the cruise industry and because cruise ships are one of the greatest source of spread for this. IF they were to extend by one year what could be done about it? Nothing?

And you know this how?  Direct line to the CDC? 

2 hours ago, AC Stew said:

Nope, not biting.

Good Lord ... can we all just get back to talking about CRUISING!

Can't bite. And yes the Lord is good. He's blessed us in many ways. In fact, just a few days ago. These new summer Caribbean cruises are going to be a breath of fresh air.  I can't wait for them to start. Cruising is back!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No I just think the CDC will do it because they hate the cruise industry

Correct,  CDC is playing politics and control games

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

because cruise ships are one of the greatest source of spread for this

Not anymore, lots of folks sailing outside the USA and very few cases of covid.

4 hours ago, crazyank said:

Correct,  CDC is playing politics and control games

Not anymore, lots of folks sailing outside the USA and very few cases of covid.

Do you believe what the lines are saying about outbreaks during current sailings. I don't.