Cruise Lines pressuring CDC to open cruising by July

On 3/28/2021 at 1:18 AM, crazyank said:

Correct,  CDC is playing politics and control games

Not anymore, lots of folks sailing outside the USA and very few cases of covid.

6 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Have you actually seen an NCL employee contract where it states to 

LIE?  There might be a mention to refer press and media questions to the 

PR department, but to outright lie?  

This is guy seems to know of all the Noro outbteaks on all ships.  He does get his info from employees among other sources. 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/?s=Norovirus

4 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Do you really think that in this current Covid-19 Pandemic with the intense scrutiny of not only cruise ships but everywhere can be kept from the public ??

Would the doctors on the ship risk possible arrest for not reporting the problem?

Would the passengers infected not have to be treated once back on land?

Would the dead have to be reported when they were carried off the ships?

Would the cruise line leadership not be brought up on charges by the ports they may have exposed the virus to?

This is not a few days in the head, and although Noro can be serious it is in NO WAY Covid-19.

24 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Does not matter if everyone is vaccinated. 

Please do not leave sugary beverage exposed on the counter.  It attracts fruit flys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

The CDC isn't going to lift the ban anytime soon with today’s comments about a new “surge” happening in the US. 

If you want to cruise this summer I would be booking on of the alternatives. We can’t wait till adventure in July!

Perhaps, but a CDC report out today says that both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are more than 90% effective at preventing infection, so vaccinated-only U.S. cruises may be an easier sell for the cruise lines. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Perhaps, but a CDC report out today says that both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are more than 90% effective at preventing infection, so vaccinated-only U.S. cruises may be an easier sell for the cruise lines. 

Yet there's this

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yet there's this

I'm not sure I want to bet my future on someone's gut feeling of doom. The numbers from the CDC itself do not support her gut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yet there's this

What a sad and pitiful excuse for government bureaucrat.

I have a feeling of joy and happiness.  My feelings trump her feelings.  

If you deny "my truth" you are just a hateful bigot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yet there's this

I have a diagnosis and prescription for her

Pepto Bismol 

IF that doesn't work she needs to switch to Imodium. Failing and as a last resort besides resigning her position I recommend Ipecac

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

Yet, she seems more inspiring than our Canadian version. 😁

I tuned Theresa Tam out back in April last year.  I can't remember the last time I read or heard anything from her.  She is, sadly, irrelevant.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I tuned Theresa Tam out back in April last year.  I can't remember the last time I read or heard anything from her.  She is, sadly, irrelevant.  

It is basically the exact same, just add the word “variant” to her alphabet.

You aren’t missing a thing. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Yet there's this

And they continue the poor and scientifically inaccurate/misleading messaging of not explaining themselves well and not differentiating between vaccinated and unvaccinated, either.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

50% of those 65+ have been fully vaccinated. By midweek over 100 million will have received at least one dose.

And yet, even with 2mm+ shots / day the US adult population won't be vaccinated until fall.  And then we need safeguard the children.

6 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I haven't found out yet, I suspect they aren't vaccinated yet based on them being in the 30s and from Michigan and I would have thought the article would have said.

I suspect there is going to be issues for the older Teenagers that can't get the vaccine yet but still have the same risk of infection as adults. And then 1 of the parents/guardians would need to stay behind in Nassau until the child tests negative.

According to local news media, huge source of outbreaks here in Michigan are high school students who play sports and of course, any family or friends who become exposed. Everyone 16 and older will be eligible for vaccine next week so hopefully our numbers will go down. Once the temps go up more restaurants will offer outdoor dining so that will help as well. 

2 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Please keep in mind, that a small percentage of the population has been vaccinated so far.

Actually the percentage is of people who had at least 1 of 2 shots, which data suggests provides significant protection, is 42.9. Thats a far cry from a small percentage.

9 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Actually the percentage is of people who had at least 1 of 2 shots, which data suggests provides significant protection, is 42.9. Thats a far cry from a small percentage.

You're double adding. 28.6% of the population or 36.7% of adults as of the moment I captured the data.

CDC COVID Data Tracker

image.thumb.png.964bf0790b987f3b7dab8ae3a9839629.png

• Like 1

I wonder???

I have both shots now for 3 weeks.

I go out almost without fail each day bare faced, then I don my mask and go into any number of stores where I sometimes am within just a few feet of others who may or may not have been vaccinated or who may or may not even have Covid.

I then get back on my car, take off my mask and head out to a diner for lunch. I wear my mask until I am seated at a table then remove it while I eat chat with my UNMASKED friends and read the paper. Please tell me, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, Why I should be wearing TWO masks, huddle under my bed while waiting for the mythological Black Camel  and cannot go on a cruise where the crew and all the passengers have been vaccinated ??

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, boscobeans said:

I wonder???

I have both shots now for 3 weeks.

I go out almost without fail each day bare faced, then I don my mask and go into any number of stores where I sometimes are within just a few feet of others who may or may not have been vaccinated or who may or may not even have Covid.

I then get back on my car, take off my mask and head out to a diner for lunch. I wear my mask until I am seated at a table then remove it while I eat chat with my UNMASKED friends and read the paper. Please tell me, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, Why I should be wearing TWO masks, huddle under my bed while waiting for the mythological Black Camel  and cannot go on a cruise where the crew and all the passengers have been vaccinated ??

The sad reality about this is the cruise industry is the only sector of the economy that is still in phase one of four phases and completely shut down, while other businesses that provide lodging, food and entertainment are fully open.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

The sad reality about this is the cruise industry is the only sector of the economy that is still in phase one of four phases and completely shut down, while other businesses that provide lodging, food and entertainment are fully open.  

I guess those spring training baseball games just aren’t attracting the fans like they used to.  Saw a lot of empty seats while watching the Yankees the other day.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I guess those spring training baseball games just aren’t attracting the fans like they used to.  Saw a lot of empty seats while watching the Yankees the other day.

Maybe ticketing is limited. I live in AZ. And there are four teams that do spring training within ten miles of us. Unless it’s changed recently, ticketing was limited to 25% capacity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Maybe ticketing is limited. I live in AZ. And there are four teams that do spring training within ten miles of us. Unless it’s changed recently, ticketing was limited to 25% capacity.

Maybe in AZ but I was given to understand that in FL ‘.... lodging, food and entertainment are fully open.’  Is it possible that the poster may not have been entirely honest on that point?

Edited by d9704011

34 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Everyone can argue this all day long....
Fact is the current administration and the CDC are against opening things back up and unfortunately they are in control so it really doesn’t matter what we think.

I agree. After today's CDC Directors statement that we in a 'doom' situation and everyone needs to go back to mask wearing, no travel, etc. This even applies to vaccinated folks. Go back to your cave you serfs. This is the Government and we know what is best for you. So no cruising for you.

A new study just released from Denmark stated that the reinfection rate for people who have had Covid is 0.6%.

• Like 3