Looking for raingear for shore excursions

islandwoman

I always wear a daypack on shore excursions.  When it rains, I have trouble keeping both the pack and myself dry.  I've tried raincoats and rain jackets, but the pack doesn't fit well underneath.  I've tried ponchos, but my arms and legs get wet and the hood falls down over my face.  I did find something called The Packa,  http://www.thepacka.com/  that seemed to be just what I'm looking for, but the vendor tells me that it only works with large backpacks.   Please give me some suggestions for light-weight, pack-able rain gear to take on shore excursions. 

Have you thought about just getting a waterproof daypack?  I don't know what style or size you like, but I have researched them in the past (for a Hadrian's wall walking tour) and there are a great many sizes and styles available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Check out Land's End as well.  Or, L.L. Bean.  

I have a light weight one from Land's End.   The hood is very large which I like.  It is baggy enough to cover a camera bag but I don't think I could wear mine over a day pack.  But I sure like mine a lot.  And when the sun comes out just fold up it up and stuff it in the back pack.    

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I have a light weight one from Land's End.   The hood is very large which I like.  It is baggy enough to cover a camera bag but I don't think I could wear mine over a day pack.  But I sure like mine a lot.  And when the sun comes out just fold up it up and stuff it in the back pack.    

What is the name of the "light weight one from Land's End" that you have?

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I have a Columbia rain parka. I bought one size too large.  My daypack is fairly waterproof and you can add waterproofing to the daypack easily 

Would that be the "Women's Firwood™ Parka" ?

27 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

LLBean has several women's rain jackets.  Which are you recommending?

I'm not the person you asked, but I like the LL Bean "Trail Model" rain jacket. Very lightweight and very waterproof for the price.

I did a lot of research initially but since I got my first one about 10 years ago I actually have purchased two more -- lost one, and on the first one the interior lining eventually started to flake and crack.

The cons are that they are not super roomy, so order a size up. Not sure even with that about fitting a daypack under it. It has a little of that "crackly" feel about it -- but that's also what makes it waterproof. I have been in a steady downpour at an archaeological site for a couple of hours. Afterwards when we arrived at lunch and took off our rain gear, most people were soaked through their jackets but at least I was dry in the areas protected by the jacket...  (My legs and shoes were a different story, but I had on some tech pants that were relatively quick to dry. Folks in jeans were miserable.

• Thanks 1

Two options really - either pay a few $$ and get  a waterproof day pack- it won't be absulutely waterproof - but close enough.  Or just keep the things inside it that need to be kept dry in zip lock bags - I usually do this in the tropics - the swimsuit/sarong/suntan lotions doesnt need to stay dry - the passport/wallet/ snacks do - so they go in  ziplocks inside the bag. Or use small dry bags for the same purpose. 

If you want really water prroof look at camera gear sites. Some of their bags have the  actually camera padding as separate - so you can buy just the bag. I have a tenba sling bag - it wa  already wet from rain - and then during  a  zodiac transfer to a ship  I coped the whole wave over me and the bag - completely dry 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, islandwoman said:

What is the name of the "light weight one from Land's End" that you have?

Oh boy, all I know is Land's End brand.  I've probably had it for at least 10 years.   It has absolutely no insulation but is large enough to wear over a large coat.   Zip as well as velcro on the front.   Zippers on outside pockets.  Cuffs have velcro straps for adjustment.  Has a drawstring at the waste.  The hood is very large.  The mention by a previous poster of wearing a sun visor is a good idea.   

This came up some time ago in a previous thread but I could not find it using the CC search function.

I tried an internet search but couldn't find a model like the one I have.  I wish I could be more help.  

PS: Mine is not for sale!  hahaha

Edited by ldubs
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, islandwoman said:

Would that be the "Women's Firwood™ Parka" ?

I would have to dig it out but looking at the site I think it is either the Switchback or the Arcadia.  For the DH I have a packable Frogg Togg

• Thanks 1

I have had a few.  We travel with carry on only so my outerwear consists of a light sweater and a waterproof shell with hood.

At least one came from an outdoor store.  Don't use it any more, don't even know if I still have it.   I picked up a Paradox brand shell at Costco just prior to retirement.  Have not seen them in the store since.  Extremely well made, especially the seams, and it has been subjected to a great deal of mistreatment over the years! It was inexpensive, yet perfect for me.  Price or store is not always an indication of quality or suitability.  Still like new.

Mine has been on six continents over nine years.    South America rain,  SE Asia rain, and a few downfalls here an there in Europe.  Nice big hood and good air vents.  It does the job, is extremely lightweight, and squishes up to nothing.  DW is sorry that she did not pick one up at the same time that I did.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

I would agree with the idea of getting a waterproof daypack, and then wearing a good raincoat.  We have both a short, waterproof jacket for when there is just a little rain, and long raincoats that we got from LL Bean for when the weather is bad.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 9:48 PM, lissie said:

Or just keep the things inside it that need to be kept dry in zip lock bags

I use lissie's suggestion. I bought the lightest backpack that Target had. Durable nylon, washable, dries quickly, it has served me well for 25 years. 

• Like 1

For waterproofing you can get the spray on Scotchgard fabric protector.  Be sure to use the upholstery grade.  Some people simply rub wax but that can be messy.

Edited by Mary229