Fully Vaccinated People May Travel, CDC Says

Globehoppers

This is great news and implies that COVID-19 protocols have and are working.  No word on whether its safe to cruise, but this give us hope.

Federal health officials gave the green light Friday for fully vaccinated people to resume travel as an estimated 100 million Americans have had at least one dose of coronavirus vaccine, and evidence mounts of the shots’ effectiveness.

The long-awaited guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is welcome news for the growing number of vaccinated adults who want greater freedom to visit family members and take vacations for the first time in a year. It is also expected to help boost the travel and airline industries that have been seeking a relaxation of restrictions. Until Friday’s announcement, officials were still discouraging people who had been fully vaccinated from traveling.

The agency updated its guidance because of several newly released studies documenting the strong real-world effectiveness of coronavirus vaccines in protecting against infection and spread of the virus, and the rapid pace of vaccinations, now close to 3 million people a day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I still hold out hope that the initial cruises from the US will be limited to fully vaccinated people and this limitation will keep children onshore for a few months.  Maybe I will get a chance for another Disney cruise.

That's good but you my need to hold out for even more hope that the ports and places you get to visit have populations that are fully vaccinated....

Otherwise people will be staying on the ships,   which would actually be okay with me.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JRG said:

That's good but you my need to hold out for even more hope that the ports and places you get to visit have populations that are fully vaccinated....

Otherwise people will be staying on the ships,   which would actually be okay with me.

Agreed.  Cruise lines with private islands should be able to manage well in this environment. I'll take a private island cruise in a heartbeat if everyone is vaccinated.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JRG said:

Based on Celebrity's cruises from St Maarten many islands are going to be open for cruises.   I intend to limit my cruises for the short term to cruises from the US.  I don't need the headache required to travel internationally.

IMHO, this is how it works.  You analyze the data first and then make decisions that may affect the health of tens of millions of people.  And you don't kowtow to lobbyist groups who stir up anger before that same analysis is complete. 

As data on vaccinations, on spread, on illness severity continued to come in, the CDC has made adjustments virtually every week for the past month or so. 

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

So "domestic travel" only for now.  Meaning they're still giving the middle finger to the cruise lines.  On the other hand, the cruise lines can begin to set up their new rules and protocols knowing that this is probably the direction they need to get up and running again.  Expect to be fully vaccinated, wear masks, social distancing, washing hands.  I'm good with this.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, marieps said:

The CDC is still recommending against travel, even though now saying it's safe for the fully vaxed.  Once again, no clear direction.  Admin, please merge this and C Dragon's thread. 

The CDC isn't recommending against travel for fully vaccinated people - here's what they're saying - it's fairly straight forward:

People who are fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccine can travel safely within the United States.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, marieps said:

The CDC is still recommending against travel, even though now saying it's safe for the fully vaxed.  Once again, no clear direction. 

Have you actually looked at the CDC site? They address all of these scenarios on the very front page:

• Here's a Travel Planner
  • Domestic Travel During COVID-19
  • International Travel During COVID-19 
  • Domestic Travel Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People
  • Domestic Travel Recommendations for Unvaccinated People
  • International Travel Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People 
  • International Travel Recommendations for Unvaccinated People
  • When Not to Travel
  • Safer Travel Ideas
  • Mask Requirement
  • Cruise Ship Travel
  • Travel Recommendations by Destination
  • After International Travel
  • Travelers Prohibited from Entry into the United States
  • A 10 page Travel FAQs
Edited by paulh84
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DSJ28 said:

The CDC isn't recommending against travel for fully vaccinated people - here's what they're saying - it's fairly straight forward:

People who are fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccine can travel safely within the United States.

This was what I read:

"Fully vaccinated people can travel within the U.S., without getting tested for the coronavirus or quarantining. People should still wear a mask, socially distance and avoid crowds, the agency says."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marieps said:

The CDC is still recommending against travel, even though now saying it's safe for the fully vaxed.  Once again, no clear direction.  Admin, please merge this and C Dragon's thread. 

Link to the C Dragon's thread

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

This was what I read:

"Fully vaccinated people can travel within the U.S., without getting tested for the coronavirus or quarantining. People should still wear a mask, socially distance and avoid crowds, the agency says."

Yep, that's consistent with my understanding.  They aren't recommending against traveling.  But they are recommending vaccinations, and continuing safety protocols at this time.  This sounds reasonable to me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

Have you actually looked at the CDC site? They address all of these scenarios on the very front page:

• Here's a Travel Planner
  • Domestic Travel During COVID-19
  • International Travel During COVID-19 
  • Domestic Travel Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People
  • Domestic Travel Recommendations for Unvaccinated People
  • International Travel Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People 
  • International Travel Recommendations for Unvaccinated People
  • When Not to Travel
  • Safer Travel Ideas
  • Mask Requirement
  • Cruise Ship Travel
  • Travel Recommendations by Destination
  • After International Travel
  • Travelers Prohibited from Entry into the United States
  • A 10 page Travel FAQs

Paul, just wondering. Did you copy and past all of that or did you type it? If typed, good on you and well done?

They have also said it's not necessary to wear masks when around other vaccinated people.  There's some hope masks won't be required when onboard cruises with fully vaccinated passengers and crew.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mnocket said:

They have also said it's not necessary to wear masks when around other vaccinated people.  There's some hope masks won't be required when onboard cruises with fully vaccinated passengers and crew.

If everyone is vaccinated, then yes, that seems like a reasonable expectation on the ship. 

I haven't hugged a stranger since my last cruise (does that sound creepy?) - it would be great to know everyone is safe enough for normal interactions on the ship.  But only if passengers and crew are all vaccinated.  I would look to the cruise line for very clear guidance.  Absent this, I would continue with masking coupled with enthusiastic waving and other positive hand gestures.  👌✌️👍🖐️🖖

In port, I imagine masking (and other safety protocols) will be appropriate for a long time to come - to protect locals who may not be vaccinated.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

IMHO, this is how it works.  You analyze the data first and then make decisions that may affect the health of tens of millions of people.  And you don't kowtow to lobbyist groups who stir up anger before that same analysis is complete. 

As data on vaccinations, on spread, on illness severity continued to come in, the CDC has made adjustments virtually every week for the past month or so. 

Yep, based on the data....cases are rising...director warns of "impending doom"...so, therefore, we (CDC) conclude it's safe to travel.

Nope, they bent to political pressure...obviously.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Yep, based on the data....cases are rising...director warns of "impending doom"...so, therefore, we (CDC) conclude it's safe to travel.

Nope, they bent to political pressure...obviously.

"impending doom" was because of 80+% of Americans are NOT fully vaccinated.  And extensive evidence of variants in parts of the country.

The "safe to travel" advisory is for fully vaccinated persons only.

See the difference?

• Like 11

My neighbor is nurse.  Last Feb many at the hospital including her got the virus but didn’t know what it was.   She recovered and got both vaccinations.  Last month everyone in her house came down with the virus.   Her husband had to the worst, the 3 kids at different degrees.   She also tested positive.

apparently vaccinations along with having had  it doesn’t make it totally safe.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

31 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

"impending doom" was because of 80+% of Americans are NOT fully vaccinated.  And extensive evidence of variants in parts of the country.

The "safe to travel" advisory is for fully vaccinated persons only.

See the difference?

Woman was crying on TV a week ago.

I think we're at 55,000,000 fully vaccinated....so, at 50,000,000 she didn't think it was safe to travel if fully vaccinated, but now she does?

Bent to political pressure...obviously.

5 minutes ago, miched said:

apparently vaccinations along with having had  it doesn’t make it totally safe.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Here's an article that discusses a recent study on this subject.

Getting COVID after vaccination is really rare—and likely to be more mild (msn.com)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Unfortunately, if they continue to decide to let unvaccinated children onboard, tested or otherwise, I suspect that we will still need to follow the masking protocol.  IMHO, as the mother of three (admittedly now grown) children, I believe children should not be on cruise ships until they are vaccinated.  I would never, ever, ever expose my child like that anyway.  I visited Vegas last week (I am fully vaccinated)  and was absolutely appalled at the number of families visiting, including many infants and toddlers in strollers.  I know kids almost always get the virus very mild, but what if your kid is not one of the 'almost always'??  Rent cottages, visit vaccinated grandmas, but for just a few more months please don't bring kids on cruise ships.  My opinion, I know not shared by all.

• Like 8